• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aston Park

M

mazbeth

Lovely section this Park's section  ;D

Memories
I keep coming back here as I have happy memories of days in parks...but this park, Aston Park, we practically lived in...walking, with mom usually, from Parliament Street Aston, maybe calling for my cousins in Upper Sutton St. on the way there, and my mom's friend Lily, in Clifton Road, and her 2 boys.

Seeing the dalmations William, and his cousin Susie, being walked. William was famous from a TV advert (in the 60's). Pedigree Chum?? not sure. Mom would always stop and talk to the owner (or the walker).

The fairs and circuses there (in the 60's) and the pig roast...and the Maypole on the lawn by Aston Hall, with people dancing round it.

Going round Aston Hall and coming out through a door in the Kitchen into the cafe.

Swinging so high on the swings and seeing lots of horses, with riders, on steps over the road at Villa Park (anyone know what that was all about?)

watching people play bowls

marvelling at the stocks

Loving walking round the pretty Rose Garden bit with dad.

Learning to float on my back by lying on the bottom of the paddling pool holding my breath and floating up.

Cycling round the cycling circuit...only once as nervous on bicycles.

seeing gypsies camped at the back of the park where it was more unkempt with longer grass.

meCliveJoy2.jpg

meCliveAstonPark.jpg

Is it safe to walk round these areas now, Mazbeth? Years ago I was told it wasn't safe...?

ChrisB :-\

well my mom still goes to church in Aston on Park Lane,(although lives in Erdington now), but gets a lift.
One of the older ladies from the church was mugged a couple of years ago, and they have had a couple of thefts in the church with people coming in while they were meeting...

other than that I don't really know, I haven't been there for years. :(

But I was prompted to start this thread when reading about the Restoration project on the Park and Hall which is posted in the Announcement section.

Smashing memories ................ Was the horses, police horse maybe on crowd control :2funny:

We used to go a lot in winter, my brother used to take a lot of photos there in the snow.

Yes Rod, the horses were used as crowd control at the Villa Ground.

Lovely photos Mazbeth. and oh those memories of our park..........

ChrisB, there was a Forum get together in the park last year. I couldn't get there, but I had been a few months earlier. We drove in and parked by the Hall, there were lots of pople around and it felt ok. But we didn't risk going down to the old playground. It was such a nostalgia trip for both of us, as it was our first time back for 40 years.

Sad isn't it that you even have to ask the question.

Thanks for the photo editing  O0
I have saved it if whoever did it wants their upload space back..thanks. :)

thanks O0
I wonder if the wall behind the bench is recognised...I think it is the one alongside Aston Hall which if walked further up has the stocks...
but it's late and I may not have my bearings right.  ;D

do you know...I've just had a crazy realisation...
when I read the Narnia books, (as I have done as an adult a few times), in my mind's eye many of the scenes are in Aston Park  :)
(don't know if others get pictures in their minds when reading).

Thanks Di. I'll keep my eyes and ears open for any other similar events at the park so maybe I'll be able to come along next time.

ChrisB :)

Can any one remember the large tent that used to have shows for kids in aston park in the summers, around the early 50s . I remember going on stage to help the magic man Philip Harbin (I think that is how its spelt as there was a TV Cook around the same time with a similar name).
The tent used to be on the large grass area just in side the main gate, Top of Thomas St.
ASTON

It was there in the 40's too, Aston. They would often hold a talent contest, but I can't remember what the prize was for the winner.

Just to lend a more serious tone to this topic, I did most of my early snogging in Aston Park :D The frightening thing is that some of you girls could have been my victims :coolsmiley:. With the exception of Di of course, who keeps reminding me that I was in short pants when she was a lass. (Actually, I think she lies about her age in order to play hard to get) ;D. My mates and me used to 'hang out' down by the swings in the summer evenings and the girls used to queue up for a snog with us..........happy days...........oohh!! is that the time?.........I must have overslept..... :smitten: :smitten:

you weren't in the navy were you? ;D
(just wanting to rule out who you might be 8))

Frantic, Ever use the back of the Church after dark for your Snogging sessions. The girls held you much closer,when you told them you thought you seen one of them grave stones move.  ::)

When I was stil at school, before my snogging days, my friend Barbara and me used to go to the park on Sunday afternoon on the lookout for two lads we knew. When we met up we would walk round the park tonguetied. Oooooh those innocent days.

the hall and gardens are still fabulous,but i no longer walk my dog around the areas away from the hall . i have been threatened and intimidated by yobs with fighting dogs held band usersy leashes made out of old clothes lines,while otherdogs are made to strenghthen their bite by being hung from tyres by their teeth,and as night falls the drug dealers and users appear,its a pitythey just cannot transport it to somewhere nice

this is the rear view,poor old pan (i think)hasnt had a head for years,still covered in black paint,yet all the money they waste round here,our history lies targets for the yobs

frank,recognise this view,this is where every kid for miles came when it snowed to slide down towards trinity road

dollyferret here is a neat photo of Aston Hall taken in 1894 for you to compare pics

the old stables,now the only green stuff you get there ,you roll up and smoke
cromwell,thats a lovely old photo,as i said the hall and park are in the wrong place now

nice picture from the front of the hall looking towards aston church,very nice in the day ,but a no go later

bottom of the slidy hill where we all fell off looking towards the church again

Dollyferret I got that pic from a newspaper dated 1894 so rarely seen I will sort a few more out but its ploughing through them all, I pass the park one a week and it was criminal how they demolished the old gate house for no reason, I was told once, never to go back as you will allways be disappointed.A lot of truth in that

This is the view My Mom & I had from ASTON PARK when the Villa had the Full sign up.
Also the hill which in winter we would sledge down.
ASTON

Those were the days Aston when you could have a good look from that hill.
Lots of people only ever viewed the matches from that spot. It's always a great walk over the hill and down to Trinity Road . Boo to today's loss for the team.

Those were the days when you waited there for the gates to be opened at half time and you got to see the second half. :)

Dear Dolly!
thank you... :smitten:
what memories...as I might have said...I grew up in that park till I was nearly 10

I can remember my mum and Grandmother taking us to the park on Saturday afternoons (my gran lived on Witton Road) - I can vaguely remember a cafe either in the Aston Hall or Near there and we'd stand on some terrace and could see the match and hear the crowds - cause we'd get ice creams while mum had a cuppa!!

We'd do that a lot of Saturdays if weather was nice - must have been late 1960's cause my brother was in a pram I remember mum shopping on the way back up Witton Road - the butcher used to auction the meat off late afternoons ;)

sorry its a bit hazy ,think you have to photograph night scenes off a tripod?
aston hall by candle light

Back