• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston, Lozells & Witton Photos Reposted thanks to Ray Griffiths...

hi terry have you looked at the witton road thread...there maybe some photos of interest to you..link below

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/witton-road.38097/page-4#post-579312

Hi Lyn, thanks for replying to me I appreciate it, I have seen the photo but unfortunately it is a bit further up the road towards the Witton Arms, the other side of the Station, I remember the shops well, the first one was a sweet and tobaconist shop, there was a shoe shop, I remember when I was 14 going in for a pair of shoes costing £1. 10 shillings, a lot in those days, anyway the shop was crowded and no one would take my money, I really did try yo pay for them, in the end I just put the shoes on and walked out, leaving my old worn out ones behind, Moyle and Adams was where our next door neighbours daughter Eileen worked, she brought loads of old and discarded empty cartons and display packaging home for her sister Marion to use in their shed, her dad turned it into a shop complete with an old till and weighing scales, we had great times playing in there, just next to the Witton arms was a greengrocery shop, my dad would often push his old handcart up to the pub laden with the vegetables he grew in the garden to sell, I don't think the greengrocer was too pleased though.
I am looking forward to any other photos that you might come across of Witton and Aston, we moved to Tame road in late 1956, I have seen a few photos of Tame road, also Deykin Avenue School where I went to, also Yew tree road juniors and infants.
Terry 9.

hi terry thanks for your memories i will keep my eyes open for anymore photos for you..must admit i had to smile about how you came by your new pair of shoes:D:D

lyn

Great pics, I spent a lots of my childhood in Holt Road, my grandmother ran the of off licence there after leaving the Turks Head Bloomsbury St so I did explore the area a bit. I have looked for pictures of that road but had no luck.

hi tony..holte road is still there and looking at street view it has not changed much

lyn

Astoness, thanks for that. I will have a look at streetview, be strange to see the big house that was used as an offlicence.

Hi Terry,

well, you live and learn, as they say! I always thought that Witton Road ended at the Circle. My A-Z's ancient and modern aren't much help. We lived in The Broadway, not too far away, and I used to walk along Brookvale Road to my pal's house off The Ridgeway. Holford Drive Playing Fields was where my old school (Canterbury Road) had their sports days and other sporting activities. In (much) later years IMI was a customer and I visited quite regularly. All changed now, of course.

G

Hi Lyn,thought you should know that lots of your pictures on this thread are turning up on the Facebook page"Old Pics Of Brum"..Here's one I've "snipped",showing the person posting them...Capture.JPG

hi micky hope you are well...not being a facebook fan nor will i ever be i do get quite a few people informing me of photos which are poached from this forum and posted elsewhere...i have always believed and i still do that old photos should be shared..i have no problems with that..if i did i would keep all mine to myself and not post them on the net...what i strongly object to is the serial poachers (and you know who you are because i do) who join bhf just to take our images.(one female member is on here nearly every day poaching).... she then posts them elsewhere and not a mention of where she obtained them from nor do they contribute single post to our forum .. very bad manners...this is why the decision was taken a few months back to watermark the images we post on here...at least that way those who see them on facebook etc may be led to what is undoubtedly the best birmingham history forum going... in my opinion you wont get the level of learning and research anywhere else..having said all that thanks for the heads up micky...

lyn

Last edited:
I don't know how the wonderful photo's in this thread have passed me by on this forum and I've only just seen them today.

after growing up in Aston I left the city to live on the south coast in 1975 so it's more or less how I remember it and many happy and some sad memories came flooding back into my mind.....Thanks.

hi micky hope you are well...not being a facebook fan nor will i ever be i do get quite a few people informing me of photos which are poached from this forum and posted elsewhere...i have always believed and i still do that old photos should be shared..i have no problems with that..if i did i would keep all mine to myself and not post them on the net...what i strongly object to is the serial poachers (and you know who you are because i do) who join bhf just to take our images.(one female member is on here nearly every day poaching).... she then posts them elsewhere and not a mention of where she obtained them from nor do they contribute single post to our forum .. very bad manners...this is why the decision was taken a few months back to watermark the images we post on here...at least that way those who see them on facebook ect may be led to what is undoubtedly the best birmingham history forum going... in my opinion you wont get the level of learning and research anywhere else..having said all that thanks for the heads up micky...

lyn
Hi Lyn,I'm in several of the Facebook "History" groups and do see the odd picture that has been taken off here,but I don't really let it bother me..But yesterday this man just kept posting one after another of your pictures,for about an hour or so,I got very angry about it and just thought I'd let you know !..Incidentally,most of your pictures don't have the watermark on them,perhaps it might deter some people if you did...Cheers for now,I'm bracing myself for a big birthday tomorrow....75 !...Where have all those years gone to ? lol

hi micky if the photos were lifted from the forum before we started watermarking them then no they most likely wont be watermarked and theres not much we can do about those...any road up dont you be worrying about it just get yourself ready for your birthday tomorrow...have a lovely day and go easy on the old vino:D:D:D
lyn x

Hi everyone, I haven't been on the forum for a while but I am hoping someone might be able to help me, I got a copy of my mothers birth certificate which shows she was born at 11 Vicarage Grove, Vicarage Road, Aston on 4th December 1915, I have looked for photo's or maps of the places but had no luck, I did see a couple of Vicarage Road but they didn't help me much, I know that when she married my father in 1943 she was living at 7 Serpentine Road, that house was still there in June last year.
Terry 9.

Terry. Can't help with a photo, but here is a map c 1950, showing 11 Vicarage Grove in red. Things won't have changed much by the look of it from 1915.

map c 1950 showing 11 vicarage  grove, vicarage road.jpg

Terry. Can't help with a photo, but here is a map c 1950, showing 11 Vicarage Grove in red. Things won't have changed much by the look of it from 1915.

View attachment 114843
Thanks Mikejee, I very much appreciate your help, it was kind of you to post the map for me, I suppose all this area has gone now due to regeneration, I no longer live in the UK but remember most of this area as a child, I was born at 504 Witton Rd, between Kynocks and Holdford Drive, and have been looking for photos of the 12 houses there for a long time without any luck, people hove posted photos from Witton station up to Witton circle and I remember all these, our house was demolished in 1956/7 then we moved to Tame Rd.

Thanks Mikejee, I very much appreciate your help, it was kind of you to post the map for me, I suppose all this area has gone now due to regeneration, I no longer live in the UK but remember most of this area as a child, I was born at 504 Witton Rd, between Kynocks and Holdford Drive, and have been looking for photos of the 12 houses there for a long time without any luck, people hove posted photos from Witton station up to Witton circle and I remember all these, our house was demolished in 1956/7 then we moved to Tame Rd.
Perhaps your house might be in this aerial view dated 1947.
WittonRd47.JPG
from https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW006424
There are some other views of the area on the forum here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/witton-then-1939-and-now.47591/

Perhaps your house might be in this aerial view dated 1947.
View attachment 115017
from https://britainfromabove.org.uk/en/image/EAW006424
There are some other views of the area on the forum here
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/witton-then-1939-and-now.47591/
Brilliant, thank you so much "oldMohawk" the ariel photo is exactly what I have been looking for, it shows our house "third from the right" and our garden with the sheds, the houses behind ours off Holdford Drive where my mothers friend Violet lived, and Higgs Motors where my aunt Renee worked, this photo brings back so many memories for me. Terry 9.

hi phil could you do me a favour please and have look to see if you can find an aerial of villa st...the part i am interested in most is the right hand side looking up from nursery road....i did find one a few years back but the quality was not that good...thanks phil

lyn

Aston, Lozells And Witton Pic Reposted...Post#69 ..3 pics

witton road.
69-1-WittonRd.jpg

witton road
69-2-WittonRdSixWays1.jpg

same shot as previous pic but a block of flats has sprung up...
69-3-WittonRdSixWays2.jpg

thats the lot folks...

lyn
Is that block of flats at Six Ways? How ugly!
Dave A

What a wonderful bunch of photo's. Really puts a lump in my throat when I think about the place that I grew up in, is no longer there. Probably the people of Aston, Lozells, Witton etc. were especially hit hard in that regard. I guess a lot of Birmingham is still the same and not destroyed.

Dave A

Lots of memories for me there Lyn, the Potter's Hill one with V&S Biddle chemists, Victor Biddle was a first cousin of mine, he trained at that shop when it was owned by Sanders (Saunders?) before he went into the navy for the war and took it over later when Sanders retired.
We lived for four years in Potters Hill along towards Victoria Road with the ma in law when I married
I used to cycle between work in Villa Street and home in Potter's Hill so a lot of the in between streets are memorable.

Lots of memories for me there Lyn, the Potter's Hill one with V&S Biddle chemists, Victor Biddle was a first cousin of mine, he trained at that shop when it was owned by Sanders (Saunders?) before he went into the navy for the war and took it over later when Sanders retired.
We lived for four years in Potters Hill along towards Victoria Road with the ma in law when I married
I used to cycle between work in Villa Street and home in Potter's Hill so a lot of the in between streets are memorable.
My friend George Bailey lived on Potters Hill, above Park Lane on the left hand side going up the hill. It would have been in the 40's & 50's
Dave A

so glad you like them dave and eric..most of the photos i post are backed up but this particular set i have copied 3 times onto discs..no intention of losing them:D..my next task is to copy all of mikejees 69/73 photos that he took...again quite unique photos..

lyn

so glad you like them dave and eric..most of the photos i post are backed up but this particular set i have copied 3 times onto discs..no intention of losing them:D..my next task is to copy all of mikejees 69/73 photos that he took...again quite unique photos..

lyn
My faves are still the ones of Furnace Lane, and of course the Paddo' ones....
Dave A

Back