• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Witton Road

Hi G G Jean,

I can't remember the name but the betting office was on Witton Rd just past the Trinity Rd junction and on the right hand pavement heading towards Witton Circle.

Thanks Derek Pete said that wasn't Carters. His dad used to tell the lads to put a bet on no hoper's so that losing would put them off gambling. It sure worked with Peter.
Charles_Cottet_-_Old_Horse_in_the_Wasteland_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Does anyone out there remember the Co Op on Witton Road? I recall as a kid being fascinated by the container for the money.THe cash was placed in the container,then the assistant would screw the lid on give the cord a yank it would go sailing across the shop to a cashier perched in a glass enclosed booth,who would place the change in the container,give the cord anther yank and it would come flying back down to the counter,
Also there was a lady on the counter who was a human computer,the speed that she could total a bill was amazing.

Happy New Year to all,
Mollie

I didn't know The Guild had closed - it must have been fairly recently. I bet Father Crean is turning in his grave!

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but I was at school (George Dixon) with Paul Best, whose father ran The Guild in the 1950's. Does anyone remember them?

Eric said that it's never a good idea to go back to your roots, and I don't often go down that way any more.

Big Gee

Big Gee

I lived at The Guild from 1963-67, when my father was the landlord.

Mollie Cross,
The Co-op I think was on Witton Island and I think was once called "The Home and Colonial".

Does anyone recall the bakers on Witton Road run by the Austin family, the son John was at Yew Tree Junior with me.
I also remember a shop next to the model shop called Wigley's that sold ladies clothes.

I returned to the UK a while ago and drove down Witton Road and I'm sorry, I was horrified. I recall walking from Brookvale Rd all the way to the library and back in the early evenings when it was dark when I was a lad. Wouldn't fancy it these days.
No one seems to have mentioned Jardine's Cycle Shop yet. My parents bought me my first bicycle from him on tick at 2/6d per week.
Paulx4's photo of the top of Witton Road showing the no. 5 bus stop on the left. What was the name of the road just before that on the left. ?

I remember that chemists shop, it was taken over by a lady pharmacist some time in the fifties. Her name was Elizabeth Hudson, Her mother used to help her in the shop.
I also remember that the road just on the corner of Lodge road and Witton Road was where the bonfire was held to celebrate the end of the 1940/45 war. Rounded off with goodies and pop in the library.
I also remember very well the shoemender on the corner of Trinity Road and Witton road, I was friends with the daughter her name was Sally, I spent many an hour in there watching Mr Knight repairing shoes,

I remember going to art school to study commercial art (now graphic art) late 40's, cannot remember whether school was in Frederick Rd or Albert Rd - and is it still there ??, it was quite large. I live close by in Queens Rd, other side of Park Rd Eric

I recall mrs Hudson as i lived across the rd Pat used to have a newsagents flanked by Wigleys and the Model Shop.

A few photo of the Witton Rd - Witton Lane area. forgive me if any of them are wrong because I don't know the area very well.

Attachments

• Aston Witton Lane - Rd 1961 .jpg
    Aston Witton Lane - Rd 1961 .jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 145
  • Aston Witton Rd - Nelson Rd 1972 .jpg
    Aston Witton Rd - Nelson Rd 1972 .jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 142
  • Aston Witton Rd 1956.jpg
    Aston Witton Rd 1956.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 143
  • Aston Witton Rd 1960.jpg
    Aston Witton Rd 1960.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Aston Witton Rd 1974.JPG
    Aston Witton Rd 1974.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 143
That first pic brings back memories. My grandmother ran the outdoor in Holte Rd and bought ciggies from the shop in the pic. Maybe they didnt deliver in those days

The address of this shop was number 392 in Witton Road which would have put it opposite the Aston Hotel. The shop sign mentions 'Toys, Fancy Goods, Carpets, Rugs, etc' and I suppose the large display of spades, buckets, and kettles comes under 'etc'.
Looks quite an interesting shop, I wonder how long it lasted before it became something else. Streetview today shows a modern building there.
index.php

image only visible if logged in

Last edited:
Thomas Danks was at 380 Witton road in the 1908 Kellys, but at 392 in the 1910 edition, and by the 1912 edition it was 390,392. The shop on the left looks as if it is an ironmongers, not fancy goods, so presumably this picture was taken while he was just at 392. the business was still there in 1940, but gone by 1943

Looking at the amount of metal on sale at the shop perhaps the metal shortages of WW2 might have been one of many reasons why the business closed.

Hi old mowhawk. And mike
I do believe there was two iron mongers ,or hardware shops on within rd , there was one passed the Aston Hotel
Which was on the same side as Aston hotel going towards the train station , and the other one which was a huge one
Going back towards Trinity road on the oppersite. Side of the road as I recall going back passing the Aston hotel
And walking up witton rd , then cross over when you reached what I think it was jarndean rd which was the first corner you came to
And on that side of the road when crossed over it was a huge shop and all along the out side wall of the shop frontage
Was heavingly Chico block of variety of tools and machines a huge frontage
And this shop was there through to the early fifties,before closing down and it was taken over by a firm to do with fred waklin
Motor cyclist champion and there was a huge boarding and it was his picture of him on his Blake
And may I also had mike about nine years ago we did a thread on it and there was a picture of it with all there wares hanging out side
And along the walls of the shop the one that is showing is going towards the train station
Once you walked passed the Aston hotel there was an old large shoe shop just before you reach the old ICI main gates at within
Well that was facing that meaning the one you are showing , best wishes Astonian,,,,,

Great pictures that brought back the memories of growing up around Witton Road etc in the 60's.......Thanks.

Derek.

Aston Library looking down Witton Road. Quite a few features in the old 1910 view still remain today . Viv.

image.jpeg

Back