• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Juxta Lookups

cant help with the christening but on the 1871 census in waterworks st. bham

eliza bradnock widow 54 b.bham
henery bradnock son 31 marr. grinder b.bham
eliza bradnock wife 24 percussion cap maker b. erdington
harriet 6 b.bham
john 4 b.bham
benjamin 2 b.bham

wondered if this could be them as john could have been 5 later in year

Many thanks for your rapid response Shira. You have found the right family but Henry married Eliza Morris 1870. She is not the Mother of the two children christened in 1866. Many thanks for looking.

Regards

Steve

hi steve

in that case maybe it was keziah

as there was a death of kezia bradnock b. 1840 died 1870 jan-mar in aston

Last edited:
Thanks again Shera. Kezia could be the one somehow mis-spelt as Bethia. I have been trying to use bmd to try and find a marriage for a Bradnock (can be mis spelt numerous ways) and a Kezia (can be mis spelt) christian name 1860-1870 but no luck as yet.

Steve

found these christenings on my st. martins cd

Elizabeth b. 19 mar 1837 chr. 31 jul 1837 Henry and Eliza Bradnock. residence aston. grinder

William Henry b. 16 jun 1839 chr. 19 aug 1839 William Henry and Eliza Bradnock. residence Erdington. grinder.

Maria b. 16 oct 1841 chr. 6 jun 1842 William Henry and Eliza Bradnock. residence deritend. edge tool maker

Maria b. 22 sep 1847 chr. 27 dec 1847 William Henry and Eliza Bradnock. residence nechells green. grinder.

you may already have them

Thanks again Shera, you're a star. I knew of the children but i didn't have birth or christening dates.

cheers

Steve

I have now got a copy of the christenings from the registers held at the Birmingham Reference Library. The mother is named as Bithia and i believe that her maiden name was Power. No sign of a marriage for her though? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Regards

Steve

Hello
Anyone able to look up a marriage for a John Thomas to Ann. I have a son Edward Thomas who was born in 1822 so it would be between 1800 to 1822.
I have just had the marriage certificate back for Edward saying his father was a Jeweller and dead by 1866, at least that narrows the churches down slightly and ST Phiilips seems to be the one ,well hopefully.
Ta Adele:)

Hi,I've found this one on IGI
ANN HAWKESFORD
JOHN THOMAS
Marriage:
05 MAR 1813 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

Hi Ladylinda
Well done thanks. Im giving up on predicting where a marriage may have been in future. I did look on the same records as yourself but missed that marriage totally. I would dearly like it to be them. Could i be a bit naughty and ask if there are any children christened to them.
Many thanks again
Adele

Hi there,found the following,if they're any good to you
ALFRED THOMAS
Birth: 01 JAN 1824
Christening: 24 AUG 1825 Saint Martin, Birmingham, Warwick, England
Father: JOHN THOMAS
Mother: ANN

EMMA THOMAS
Birth: 09 JAN 1819
Christening: 04 OCT 1819 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

JOHN THOMAS
Birth: 28 FEB 1814
Christening: 17 MAY 1814 Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, England

I thought I would post this again if there is anyone that is able to help please.

It isn't a straight forward check of Aston Juxta parish records, so if it is not possible I do understand, but thank you if there is anyone that is able to help me.

A Thomas Cox and an Ann Asston were married, according to the IGI at Aston Juxta in 1769. I am trying to find out if they had any children baptised in this area or at the same church.

There is a number of baptisms at St Martins and a couple from St Philips where the parents are a Thomas Cox and an Ann, they start approximately from 1774, I am wondering if this was the couple that married at Aston Juxta in 1769, and had some children baptised there before moving into the parishes of St Martins and St Philips.

Many thanks
Ewan

not sure of the link here but here goes, my family are molyneux, my dads great Aurnt was Florance Molyneux married to an Albert Farmer, I notice that one of the wittnesses was Molyneux - small world

Trying to find the marrisge of my 4x Great Grandfather, Benjamin Gilbert.

He married a Sarah and the were West Bromwich born and lived there their entire lives.

First child was born in 1831 so a marriage around that year would most likely.

The only marriage I could find was this one submitted to an IGI Individual File.

Benjamin Gilbert and Sarah Turner at Aston Juxta, Birmingham, Warwickshire 8th March 1829.

No sources are quoted.

Can somebody see if the marriage exidts and if it has any more data. i.e I am especially interested in the groom's profession.

Hi Mark

Marriage certificates pre 1837 do not give much information. They will state whether groom is a bachelor/widower and the bride spinster/widow. It will show if bride/groom and witnesses signed their names. It will not give professions, living address, name of bride/grooms/ father. If the children were baptised the baptism record will give Father's profession and their living address.

Beg to differ.

What is recorded depends entirely on the Parish.

Non conformist and Roman Catholic tended to be a bit more informative than Anglican.

Quite a large percentage of pre 1837 marriage records in my tree, including Anglican, have at least the father's name recorded.

A fair number have the father's occupation and grooms occupation listed.

There would be far more brick walls in my tree than there currently is if this was not the case!

Hi all

I am looking for any additional information on this marriage please

William Russon m Mary Ann Bower 9 Jan 1838 at Aston Juxta

Thanks
Carol

Hi Carol
I found this info out today I hope it will help you
William Russon - widower, occupation brass founder
marries
Mary Ann Bower - spinster 9 jan 1838
Williams father - Thomas Russon
Mary Ann's father - William Bower
William lived - Aston Street, Duddeston
Mary Ann lived - Coleshill Street, Birmingham
Witnesses - Joseph Russon, Sarah Russon

once again i hope this helps
Kelly

Is there anyone visiting Birmingham Central Library and has a bit of time and wouldn't mind looking at some records for me please?

Thomas Cox and Ann Asston were married at Aston Juxta in 1769, they had some children baptised at St Martins. I am hoping to find out whether they had any children baptised at the church where they were married up to approximately 1774 and from 1768 just before they married there.

Many many thanks if you can help.
Ewan

Looking for a marriage between James Fellows and Ann Spratt in september 1835. Ann was getting married for the second time, so Spratt was her married name, looking for any mention or clue to her maiden name. Thanks in advance Rob

Ann Spratt England Marriages, 1538–1973

marriage07 Sep 1835 —Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, Englandspouse:James Fellows record title:England Marriages, 1538–1973 groom's name:James Fellowsbride's name:Ann Sprattmarriage date:07 Sep 1835marriage place:Aston Juxta Birmingham,Warwick,Englandindexing project (batch) number:M01168-4system origin:England-ODMsource film number:919800

have you thought of getting marriage cert? sorry cannot be of any other help

Derek

Last edited:
Ann Spratt England Marriages, 1538–1973

marriage07 Sep 1835 —Aston Juxta Birmingham, Warwick, Englandspouse:James Fellows record title:England Marriages, 1538–1973 groom's name:James Fellowsbride's name:Ann Sprattmarriage date:07 Sep 1835marriage place:Aston Juxta Birmingham,Warwick,Englandindexing project (batch) number:M01168-4system origin:England-ODMsource film number:919800

have you thought of getting marriage cert? sorry cannot be of any other help

Derek

Thanks for your help Derek, but unfortunatly general registration i.e Certificates didn't start till 1837, so I've just missed out there. So I still don't know Ann Spratt's maiden name, thanks for your help anyway Rob

Hi

I got help here for 1761.
St Peter & St Paul was a main chuch in Aston,
Check with Shera on this site and see if she has records for this date.
A very helpful lady.

The only other way would be to contact Birmingham Central Library and ask them to look for you and they will produce a copy page for you, check for the cost 1st.

Good luck

Hi

I got help here for 1761.
St Peter & St Paul was a main chuch in Aston,
Check with Shera on this site and see if she has records for this date.
A very helpful lady.

The only other way would be to contact Birmingham Central Library and ask them to look for you and they will produce a copy page for you, check for the cost 1st.

Good luck

thank you for your kind words derek but unfortunately my few records for aston juxta are much earlier than 1835. in fact they only go up to 200 years prior to this date! all the best, shera

Hi there,

I am looking for any additonal infomation for a marriage record:
Joseph Lucas and Alice Morgan, marriage 4th March 1906, Aston Parish Church.

I have the GRO certificate but am having trouble with connections for Alice Morgan. I think her parents George and Hannah Morgan had both died at this time but the certificate is signed by a George Morgan, which may be her brother or father?

I am hoping that the parish certificate may give additonal info such as middle names, maybe even different witnesses? Also I am not certain if the Birmingham Library allows viewing records for this church from the 1900's?

Any help much appreciated
Barb

Back