• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Arden Grove, Saltley.

DianeF

From the 1950's to 1957 my family lived in Arden Grove, Saltley. My parents shared a 2 bedroom house with my aunt and uncle and my two cousins. Eventually there were nine of us living there, and I loved it! We were in a sort of cul de sac. The Jones family lived at the end, then the Bolton family, The Ogdens, Mrs Middleton, us (the Fry family) then just before the opening, the Taylors. The only other family I can remember living in a house looking out over Adderley Park were the Douglas's.As our family grew my aunt and uncle moved out and my grandmother, Maud Fry, moved in. This meant there were five of us in one bedroom - still we were a bit warmer in winter! Although the houses were old and we had no modern facilities, being able to play in the park was wonderful, it was like having our own massive garden.
My sister and I went to St Saviours Road school together to start with, although I progressed to junior school before she did as I am two years older. I loved both schools - who remembers junior children (I think) driving us infants in little two seater cars round a road lay out with zebra crossings and traffic lights for a road safety lesson? Wonderful!
I have so many memories of Saltley, all good and they are still vivid. When I have a little more time to spare I'll jot down a few more recollections of people, places and happenings around that time.

what lovely memories diane...it really is amazing that although some families were a tad cramped (6 children in our house) we still made the most of it..my childhood was wonderful...please keep your memories coming...

we have a large thread for saltley...maybe there is a photo of arden grove..click on link below and read from the 1st post so that you do not miss anything..

lyn

From the 1950's to 1957 my family lived in Arden Grove, Saltley. My parents shared a 2 bedroom house with my aunt and uncle and my two cousins. Eventually there were nine of us living there, and I loved it! We were in a sort of cul de sac. The Jones family lived at the end, then the Bolton family, The Ogdens, Mrs Middleton, us (the Fry family) then just before the opening, the Taylors. The only other family I can remember living in a house looking out over Adderley Park were the Douglas's.As our family grew my aunt and uncle moved out and my grandmother, Maud Fry, moved in. This meant there were five of us in one bedroom - still we were a bit warmer in winter! Although the houses were old and we had no modern facilities, being able to play in the park was wonderful, it was like having our own massive garden.
My sister and I went to St Saviours Road school together to start with, although I progressed to junior school before she did as I am two years older. I loved both schools - who remembers junior children (I think) driving us infants in little two seater cars round a road lay out with zebra crossings and traffic lights for a road safety lesson? Wonderful!
I have so many memories of Saltley, all good and they are still vivid. When I have a little more time to spare I'll jot down a few more recollections of people, places and happenings around that time.
Hi DianeF,
I was born in number 9 back 22 Arden Groove, Arden Road, B8 in the late 60`s. The names you've mentioned, (Boulton, Middleton & Ogdens), are my family.
I have spoken to my brother who lived there in the late 50`s, and from your description of the residents layout of the groove, he believes my parents moved into your old house, all he keeps telling me was they had to share an outside toilet.
My brother also knows all the names you've mentioned and believes he went to school with you.
Do you remember the house number you lived at and would you have any pictures?
Thanks in advance, The Poyner`s.

Back