• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ancestry website query

procat,

when they say you have results and then when you go to next page and there are no results keep going back and trying again because it does come up eventually. very annoying but thats what is happening at the moment. funnily enough it only happens occasionally, not every time. it has only started occuring in the last month or so.
bren do we email them?

Bordesley exile, when you cancel your subscription, make sure it is within the date allowed, i had the subscription to the site, as i could'nt find what i was looking for i cancelled my account, that seemed to work, the following month, Ancestry took another payment, after complaining, they did refund that payment, but took another one the following month. I am still in contention with them over the last payment, this has gone on since September, they are no longer taking any payments but i have no proof of the original cancellation, do keep a copy of your cancellation e-mail. Regards Jackie

Thank you for the kind warning, Williams. I am waiting for certificates from Sandwell. I will then cancel my Ancestry membership & instruct my bank to cancel the DD so there is no room for error.
My last internet provider continued debiting my account after receiving my cancellation instructions & the matter is unresolved a year later so DD deletions are now routine.

has anyone noticed they seem to have changed ancestry again :redface:

you cant put age + or - in. and county you have to type in instead of having a option list.

the worst thing is the age though. how do we know the exact ages??

Hi Shera, I've just checked and I can put in the + or - for birth year, and I still see the drop down list of counties.

Last edited:
thanks for replying di and mike. i cant believe that mine has changed then. it happened yesterday teatime. for instance, on the 1901 census the age just has a box, and underneath says..age on march 31st 1901.... and no option to put the plus or minus.

the only one with plus and minus on age is the 1881. even that one does not have the drop down menu for counties. hope its just a temporary thing while they are doing changes :shocked:

Hi Shera,

The whole look of my trees changed yesterday, but only for a short time. I know in the past I have worried, when all my pics have disappeared for a time.
Hope yours get back to normal soon. Sometimes I wish they would stop changing things.
As a p.s., I don't know if it is because it is now easier to add people in from another tree. But lately I have had so many of my photos copied and added to other trees. And, with a lot of them, I can't see how they are related. Someone has copied a whole page of my photos, including all my mothers and her Belgium ancestors. They have copied both sides, and it looks like, a long way back, someone in their tree has married a sister of my mom's great great etc. So they are not blood related to my mother at all. I can't understand why these people want so many photos and certificates of people that they are not related to. Very odd! Moan over.

Ann

Ancestry website query

I have been with Ancestry for a couple of years but this week I am unable to print off the info , the message comes up ... An Error Occured During this Operation... has anyone else come across this ? I have just email Ancestry to see if the problem is with them or me but It may be a while before they answer me.

Pat

Back