• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ancestry.co.uk - Re: Scotland

B

BernardR

Hi

Can anyone please advise? We have signed up for a trial [UK Premium Membership] with Ancestry.co.uk so that Linda can trace her Scottish roots. Unfortunately though she can find certain items they do not have the access to many actual records though they point you to where they are obtainable. Even some that Linda could find on a free Scottish web site are not available through Ancestry. Has anyone got experience of tracing family in Scotland and if so can you suggest a Genealogy site to use please?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Shera telling me that the Scottish records are not on Ancestry - Scotland either can't (privacy laws?) or wont' release their records (I can't remember the reason). I would imagine the ones you have found on other sites are perhaps parish Records that someone has done in their own time/as a hobby???
:)

Hiya Bernie
yep it's Scotlands People you need ..BUT it really is expensive ,it would be much cheaper to book a day at the Scottish archives ,the only problem there is if you go with Linda they charge you as well even if your not searching ..I had this problem when i tried to research Tom's family ..Good Luck

hi

yes the agony of family history. other than the original documents on the
census the Scottish records are quite good. Unfortunately BMD records are
not available and street searches are difficult but you can manipulate the
ancestry search once you have located your relative.
Its expensive ive spent a fortune in Ireland on search records.
if you could let me have a name and location Bernard Ill try and have a go
but i will leave that up to.

mike jenks

I have had the same problem but my gt granny Margaret McKnight was born in Birmingham in 1837 so all info is before registration. I have been lucky by posting a family tree on Ancestry and connected with family who have done research in Scotland. I have shared info on my research in Birmingham and they have sent me copy documents from their Scottish research. Not as much fun as doing it yourself but a lot cheaper....just a suggestion. I have found early info on the IGI on Familysearch but you must check it if it's been submitted by a member as there are a lot of inaccurate submissions. Good luck to you and Linda.

Many thanks to you all it confirms what we were beginning to recognise. Ancestry state they in some sort of dispute over showing Scottish records fully. THis becomes a problem when htere is doubt as to the accuracy of any transcriptions.

Mike we may well take you up on your kind offer and might even offer a cup of coffee or tea in exchange - no biscuits sorry.

Hi Bernie,
I think Scotland's People has certain benefits, true it may seem expensive at first sight but when you consider that for £7 you get 30 credits. One credit lets you see the broad transcript and another Five credits the record. If you are smart you can get 5 certs or OPRs and some additional info, for that money. Somewhat cheaper than 5 certs from the GRO.
In addition use broad search criteria, such as when searching for Births for example, key in surname and parent/parents over a long period, you may get a transcript for all the family, including the wider family in that area.
Search for census on Ancestry to lead you in the right direction for locations etc. Pre 1855 search for BMD on IGI.
I agree if you are not careful it can cost you money.

Clarkie

hi

yes im still reeling from 192.com. went for there top package for Electoral roll
ouch ouch im skint but at least all 192 records come up.

mike jenks

Hello to all! Researching Scottish ancestry is by far the best to pursue. Their records are far more detailed than are the English and Welsh. I would suggest that you join the appropriate family history society or societies. They are all on the web. The memberships are low priced and can prove to be a very useful aid to finding out more about your forebears. A great plus is being able to communicate with people with local knowledge - something that you will need if you are to make much progress. For those of you who think that the computer is the only way to obtain details then try the Family History Centres at the Church of the Latter Day Saints who run an open public service whereby you can hire films of parish registers and census returns. No attempt to convert you to their beliefs. As far as I know, the centres at Penns Lane, Sutton Coldfield and Lichfield still function. Check them out. Good luck! Regards from willey.

Bernie, I used Scotlands People and also contacted local history groups once I had an idea of where I was looking - there are a few forums such as ours and they were really helpful to me.Also, once I got a lead, i found stuff on Ancestry and in turn made contact with other genealogists researching the family. I also used familysearch.org to give extra help and their office in Lichfield is good too.
Not been to the records office, work stops play as far as week day visits are concerned and the family aren't so keen as I am to research!!
Good luck with your hunting.
Sue

Back