• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alpha Tower

E

ETRAHXZ

Alpha Tower was capitalzed by ATV and what a move from Aston!
In the 1970s it was plush with big leather chairs, sofas, carpets. Of course it is ugly though the views SW must be marvelous.
Presumably one can see weather approaching from yonder reaches of Bristol!
(The prevailing winds are SW. That is why the captains of industry build that side of the city.)
Likely the Conservation unit is majorly hamstrung by finance.
Why it is located in high rent commercial property is surely shocking.
There were and still are many eminently suitable historical premises which would serve ideally.
Unfortunately the body was established when the horse had bolted.
No sensible person is suggesting preserving old buildings for the mere sake of it.
The land grab pressure was so intense is so that detailed surveys, record keeping, rescue of items was not done.
To a large extent it was because the consciousness was not present. There are those alive today, of the few then, who made individual efforts to record before obliteration but in general the recording, let alone conservation, applied consciousness was minimal and put in a very slight attendance; often conspicuous in its absence.
Quite clearly the then two universities, the art college system, as well as other colleges - together with the Museum and Art Gallery and Science and Industry Museums - could and should have forged an alliance and with municipal and private sector financial help and infrastructural resources (such as equipment) could have effected a far reaching conservation movement.
No doubt the present unit is ever vigilant, valiant even, to engage in conservation, as that is what it is in place for.
A recent BBC news item reported that UoB is to launch a concerted effort to study East Birmingham. Of course that is late in the day.
The City Archaeologist told me some results of studies, such as excavation, have been published on-line; though they are no so easy to access.
Do you know of an easy link? The download is either interrupted or extremely slow to load (which sometimes vanishes).

I have been to several meeting in Alpha Tower and I can confirm, categorically, that it is not plush. The last one I went to was about three, possibly four years ago, for a meeting.

Shortie

The heyday of alpha tv long over.
I don't know what happened to the furniture, carpets, rugs, lighting fixtures, wall pieces though i'm sure they didn't wear out.
Curious, as stark contrast, there are plush appointed expensive hotels about and the eyesore monument is shabby.
Though it is unlikely its dilapidated condition from former minor junior league grandeur qualifies the city conservation unit for reduced rent
on compassionate grounds.
I don't know who owns the tower but one use would be condominiums, which are all the rage. Mixed use: Work-live.
The redemption would provide a lot of work for a range of crafts.
Just awful the facility is degenerate. A prime candidate for conservation.
One treatment that could take the edge off the ugly thing is to colour tint the exterior by panel.
That could have been done on the rotunda with a range of whites to pick up light and somewhat enhance a very dull purview.

Associated Television
ATV Network
ATV Midlands

Based in Elstree, London, Birmingham Broadcast area London (weekends; 1955 to 1968)
Midlands (weekdays; 1956 to 1968: all week; 1968 to 1982) Launched 24 September 1955 in London
17 February 1956 in the Midlands
All week in the Midlands from 29 July 1968 Closed 28 July 1968 (London)
1 January 1982 (Midlands) Replaced ABC in the Midlands on weekends from 29 July 1968 Replaced by London Weekend Television in London on weekends from 2 August 1968
Central Independent Television in the Midlands from 1 January 1982
Owned by Associated Communications Corporation

A history available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Associated_Television

Alpha Tower is a Listed Building[!] - seriously.

Astounding that other than a much diminished BBC tv there is negligible tv production out of Birmingham, other than for the most part, local interest and an odd soap.

Lots of ugly buildings are listed. I can understand it, but do not particularly agree with it. I don't think it is going to be used for any other use at the moment, other than the one it is currently used for. You do know that the Rotunda has been refurbished and is now apartments?

Shortie

Last edited:
Thank you, I did not know about that, I have to admit. In Birmingham a lot, but missed that.

Shortie

Very fine view of Alpha Tower there in post 20! Modern design doesn't have to be ugly. When it was built AT, allegedly, had the fastest lifts in Europe. Not fast enough when you were late for work. Viv.

Re: broad st/easy row

Photo by Feltip of the Library of Birmingham from Suffolk Street Queensway

Re: broad st/easy row

I've always felt that this area had an unfinished look about it when I worked at Alpha Tower in the 80's. Ell's photos seem to confim that they're still struggling to sort it out. Hopefully the new library and other facilities will help to do that. Mike's 1890s map in post 38 surprises me as it shows how heavily industrialised this area once was, so I imagine it would have been an incredibly busy, noisy area. It must have become pretty much a wasteland in the 1930s when demolition took place. Pre-conference centre days I do remember Bingley Hall and a pub nearby (possibly called the Cricketers?) but that's all I can recall of the older buildings in this area, and I expect in any case they were demolished when the Conference Centre was built.

However I have found a sketch of Winfield's Cambridge Street Works in 1887 (with 2 chimneys!!!). Viv

560791fc-4ddf-6f97.jpg

I worked in Alpha Tower for a while too - for the Dept of Employment, writing Giro cheques for the young people working on government schemes! Not sure what floor, think it might have been the 12th.

Some years ago they were filming an apocalypse type movie Broad Street was shut overnight and scattered with rubbish and shots were taken on the site of the part demolished ATV studios called Arena Central. In days gone by I used to work in Alpha Tower on the 9th Floor ( it does sway in a gale), here are a couple of shot of this filming from my viewpoint.

View attachment 156872

View attachment 156871
Ahh yes, Alpha Tower. I worked on the 27th floor for a time in the late eighties. We had a good view of the ICC construction I remember. Fire drills weren’t much fun - it took ages to walk down the fire escapes, and as I’m nervous of heights and lifts, it took me a while to become acclimatised. When my team was banished to the basement I didn’t argue. Attempts were made to persuade me to go onto the roof with the riggers to look at the antennae. I resisted.

Ahh yes, Alpha Tower. I worked on the 27th floor for a time in the late eighties. We had a good view of the ICC construction I remember. Fire drills weren’t much fun - it took ages to walk down the fire escapes, and as I’m nervous of heights and lifts, it took me a while to become acclimatised. When my team was banished to the basement I didn’t argue. Attempts were made to persuade me to go onto the roof with the riggers to look at the antennae. I resisted.
I worked on the 9 still swayed in the wind. Council had a marketing suite on the top floor, amazing view out to the airport and all points around

Glass windows down to knee level, with window sears!!
Alpha Tower is a funny sort of shape. In plan, it’s rather like a boomerang. Like many modern high rise buildings, it has a strong central core for all the lifts and service risers. The floors are largely supported from the core.

I can’t say that I really noticed the sway - good job really!

Alpha Tower is a funny sort of shape. In plan, it’s rather like a boomerang. Like many modern high rise buildings, it has a strong central core for all the lifts and service risers. The floors are largely supported from the core.

I can’t say that I really noticed the sway - good job really!
I worked on the 24th. I remember many birds-eye views of life going on below; the Queens visit when the City Council were frantically ‘greening up’ the area around the Central Library and the Town Hall, seeing the Royal HRH’s through the glass top car as it slowly made its way along Suffolk Street Queensway below, the making of Tiswas in Chamberlain Square and in the subways below; meeting celebs in the lift whose agents were in the building, catching the attention of The Jam staying in the Holliday Inn behind AT. Surprised we ever got any work done.

Yes the window sills were conveniently at seat level, but eventually became cluttered with files, old milk bottles with milk turning to curd, plants - I grew several avocado plants from avocado seed stones on there).

It was the first time I’d worked in a more modern open plan office. But eventually we all tried to get free-standing partitions to carve out own little spaces!

I worked for the Manpower Services Commission at the time (an executive arm of the Dept of Employment) and people were always impressed by the office. The fastest lifts in Europe, the views way out beyond Brum and the tea point facilities. The downside: it was
like working in no-mans land. A trek to the shops, Cambridge Arms or the Library. Not very close to anything for a lunchtime break. A bit of a shock as we’d moved to AT from Windsor House, above Rackhams. But we had a great sandwich delivery service.

After my 4 years there I moved to work in London on a brand new government initiative in a pokey little office in Covent Garden. What a difference ! I continued to travel to Brum regularly as I was given responsibility for West Midlands schools - allegedly because I “spoke the lingo” ! Viv.

To my knowledge Alpha Rower never had the signage on the top of the building. Probably just marked on the image for advertising purposes so that you can identify the building.

I like that they captured the 3 ‘golden boys’ in the image, (and not so golden) - now moved of course from this spot. Viv.

55D455E4-0558-45F2-8F00-1318294EF734.jpeg

Back