• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

Do you remember John and Arthur Carlton. I went to Burlington st. jrs and snrs and left in school in 1959 we obviously have no recognition of each other which is a shame.

My Dad's local was "The Alma". and don't forget Kettelby famous composer "In a persian Market" "Bells across the meadow" born in Alma St.

Hi Leaonardjob, my dad's local was the alma and the salutation at the top of Alma st. Kettleby also wrote 'In a Monastery Garden' and incidentally those two songs were my mothers favourites, she probably did not know he was born in Alma St, and I think over the road from us.

Hi dib44, I have a very good friend who used to play for the villa his name is Mike Tindall I think it was about 30 yrs ago but not sure of the time, have you heard of him.

Anybody ever read a novel called'Never Look Back' by Ted Allbeury ?

Its about a lad grows up in Alma St before WW2,

Mike Tindall was one of "Mercers Minors", half back line, Tindall Sleeuwenhoek(sic) Deakin (Captain), all u23 internationals, brilliant line up.

Thanks col h, have ordered one (postage more than book) but not a lot. Will let you know results.

Leonardjob Don't know what mercers minors means and not much about his football days (have not really enquired - not being v.interested in footie) but I am sure he was good. Diane

Diane, Joe Mercer was Villa manager for a while and had a v. good youth policy. As Matt Busby had his "Busby Babes", so did mercer have his "Minors".

hi emachist
yes you are quite right it was a jelfs cafe with steamed up windows and just off the top of my head ther number was close to yours
it was charles jelf and he also had a book keepers bussiness in alma street like also the cafe with a book keeping business inholly lane tyburn rd which he gave to miss ivy jelf
but prior to tat it was his father and mothers bussinees when he took over and gave it to ivy the only sister in the jelfs family
and they had them along lichfield rd and aston x and aston rd north and park rd hockley and the jewerly quarters and in digbeth and at snow hill and one of the arcades by joe lyons doing the same bussiness with waitress in the same dress code as lyons they was every where around brum in my research of my grand fathers bussiness they had thirty thre shops around and a two provisin ware house and during those early years the good old john dixon the villa player when out of seanon used to drive around doing there family bussiness deliveryies
best wishes astonian

Hello John Bev
I went to Alma Street School from 1958 until 1965.
Is your Surname abbreviated from Bevan, because I knew a Paul Bevan at Alma Street and I was wondering if he was any relation, that's if your name has been abbreviated.
I have only ever seen one person since leaving Alma Street and that was about 30 years ago, I remembered her but she couldn't remember me.
I started a page on Facebook, trying to find some of my old classmates, but up until now, I've had no success.
I lived in Geach Street from 1954 to 1965, just round the corner from Alma Street, off Summer Lane.
With best wishes from Rod.

I don't think this picture has been on this thread before.It was taken looking down Alma St towards Summer Lane,i think the road crossing it is Whitehouse Street,but stand to be corrected.Moss.View attachment 66783

yes it as been on before some time ago more about Alma street at this link

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder if anyone recongnises anyone on this nice pic of the 1953 coronation street party in alma street. asked Astoness. Yes, I remember this street party, and the shop signs top right belong to the little shop owned by Les and Ivy Bradbury. Mrs Bradbury is standing in front of her shop and my Mom Beaty Asbury is just by her standing on our step of 41. Later that day our piano went outside and my Dad Frank played to entertain

Reposting a photo of Alma Street

Alma_st.jpg

Regards Stars

#108 I remember going to a book shop on the left of that picture with our Dad i would have only been about 7 , I think he used swop them for another lot? he always loved Westerns. The frowstiness smell of the shop stuck out in my mind.

morning tospy...im taking it you are on about the little lad on the left of the pic....ive known him for 40 years now...lol

lyn

Back