• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Albert Street

horsencart

master brummie
Over the years Brum has gained a few roads and lost a few mainly due to modernization for want of a better word, and sadly Brum has recently lost another road, although a small part still exists, the road in question is/was Albert St it has to be said that over the years this road has shrunk and according to my maps and the road that was Albert St was originally known as Duddeston Road,

I have photos taken just couple of years ago of the Birmingham built Metrobus on Albert St, sadly the Metrobus no longer are on route in service in Brum and the road that the bus ran on is no longer there the cafe (Rosa,s) this was closed down by the council some time back, a few years back I noted that the pavement had stated to wear to reveal an old (set stones) pavement this set me thinking how many shoes, had walked on that section of pavement, and if they could talk what stories could they tell,

I did note a short time ago the road Albert St/Duddeston Rd was being dug up, and the the pavement and the road way both made of set stone, were carefully being dug up and then put of wooden pallets (for resale I think?) at this time I did think that this would mean that a new pavement and roadway would be laid, how wrong could I be, according to a map on the hoarding that surrounds the former road, it is to be grassed over and that section of road will in the goodness of time will become just a memory,

The only way you can for a short time tell where the roadway was is the fact that the lamp standards are still in position I should imagine that these in the fulness of time be taken down as another footnote closes on Brum closes or am I just being to sentimental

It's been a good few years since I have been down that way, but does not Albert St still exist from Dale End to Moor St Ringway. I think the bottom end junction at Duddeston Row Bartholomew St has gone now, but surely the top end remains?

Phil

Sadly the top part of Albert St went some years back, it would have gone through what is now MacDonald,s they put a new road to the left of MacDonald,s some years back, there is very little now remaining of the original Albert Road, and of course Dale end as we know it now will go soon? if the planners have there way, I have not seen the plans I do know that area is due for redevelopment

It's been a good few years since I have been down that way, but does not Albert St still exist from Dale End to Moor St Ringway. I think the bottom end junction at Duddeston Row Bartholomew St has gone now, but surely the top end remains?

Phil

Albert Street date unknown but the tram track has gone so possibly mid 1950s.

In the car seen in the bottom corner, the driver is 'hand signalling', indicating that he is either slowing down, turning right, or even turning left.

The 'Beehive' shop on the right always seemed a little old fashioned when I went in there.
IMG_1230.jpg

this is apparently 23 Albert Street Dale End, lots of remains of roof lines, staircase and door, love the Morris Traveller, I believe this is now the NCP car park, but I am happy to be proved wrong

Attachments

• 23 Albert Street 71.jpg
    23 Albert Street 71.jpg
    567.8 KB · Views: 7
Could I suggest a re-wording of the thread, or simply shortening to Albert Street? It is true that the properties in Duddeston Row were added to Albert Street in later years but Albert Street and Duddeston Row were separate thoroughfares for much of their existence. A shame that many fine buildings were lost from Albert Street. Here is one from the corner of Moor Street .....

BTW The Woodman Inn had an address in Albert Street in recent times but I note that even this little fragment of the street has been lost by changing the official address to New Canal Street.

Back