• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aid/Advice for Beginners

bren

master brummie
Hi All

I was thinking that the title above, or something similar, would be a good idea to have pinned at the top of Help and Advice, Tips and Tricks.
I am not talking about do i use Ancestry or FMP etc but the actual process, something like this --

To begin, you should draw up a rough family tree, with yourself as the starting point and then add in any known family names and dates. This might at fiirst just consist of yourself and your parents, but you will be surprised how quickly it will grow.

This is only a quick rough idea of what i am on about as there is a lot more that could go into it but i hope you can see what i mean, and for some it would be easier for them to be able to read this as being new they don't like to ask or even know what to ask. There is also the advantage of being able to refer people to it rather than having to explain it time and again on different threads and if they take note of it they may be able to post more info on their requests and this will enable us to help them more, we hope.

Please post your views, good, bad or suggestions what you think should go into it.

bren

Good idea Bren,I have been interested in genealogy for about 10 years now and still have a lot to learn.

It would be helpful if members could post their tips.

For starters.

Ask every aged member of your family(whilst you still can) to recall what they know of family members. Do not take it as gospel because some may embellish the facts
but it will allow you to check out and verify the bits that are true.
Not all of us are related to Royalty but you would be surprised at the amount of queries i have seen on message boards from people who think they are.

Do not presume you have found an ancestor just because their name is unusual,there are probably loads more with the same name.

On census records don't pay too much attention to differing ages,by a year or 2, and be flexible with spelling of names,most of the census enumerators had visited a few pubs during the day.
This also applies to place of birth.If you were born in Hereford and taken to Coventry as a baby you may grow up believing you were born in Coventry.

Try to visit your local records office to view the original documents.
It gives you such a good feeling to see the writing (and the ink blots).
Whilst searching in Staffordshire records office in Hixon Parish records I was delighted to see that in 1850-55 the vicar made comments such as
'the day was fair and sunny' and 'there was somewhat of a breeze today'

Draw on the help of the members of this forum most times they come up trumps.

I agree with you both. I would only add that if there is to be a note we should ask anyone wanting help to give as much information as possible; and to come back to check their posts. I have done look ups and they have not been replied to, so I can only think that they have not been seen.

A tip I think I would give is to make use of wills they are an under used document, and are often the way through the maze beyond 1837. Not many on line yet, but I imagine they will be in the not too distant future.

Same here both and I certainly agree with Di's point about looking something up for someone and they don't come back to you, not all members I might add:wave:

I agree with everything that has been said and don't forget to look in ‘Institutions’: Workhouses, Prisons, Army, Navy, Orphanages (On this one also look at other relatives, even if both parents and other siblings are all at one address) and not forgetting Industreal Schools (think we knew them better as Approve Schools).

Things were very different back then, Parents were known to accuse there children of crimes they had not committed.
Some families were very poor and had too many mouths to feed, it was one way of getting their children bedded, fed and even in some cases given a trade if nothing else (Hence the tip of looking in Navy records as many young boys were sent to sea). Also look in the 'Home Children' records, as many children were sent overseas for the same reasons as above. Or put in orphanages when Mom or Dad died, or remarried, also if the state thought they were being neglected at home.

One of the main tips for me is, keep an open mind no matter how sure you are of the 'Facts'. Look outside the square and never be surprised, or shocked at what you may or may not find out about your family.

When using this site use 'The Search Box' at the top of each page, there is a wealth of information there and can be easily found by just typing in a 'Keyword'.

Pom :)

Hi All

View attachment 11296

This first attachment is just an idea how the thread should look with the different posts on each subject then when we feel that all the subjects have been covered it could be made a locked sticky and then we can just refer newbies to it rather than having to repeat ourselves on the boards, comments please.

View attachment 11295

This is my offering for the first post, again, comments please.

Now then, seeing as we are all one big happy family on here it would be good if we could have a volunteer for each subject who is willing to do a short concise write up on their chosen topic ;)

bren

What a fantastic idea...... Once you have gotten to a point where you think its ready for launch, we could upload it across all the sites maybe? Brilliant

Bren just read your getting started just what it needs Brilliant :)

Forums and Archives

I have been researching now for many years and i have found that

FORUMS AND ARCHIVES HAVE THE MOST INFORMATION.

Just put the area into your space bar......... ie.......Belfast Forum, Glasgow Forum, Edinburgh Forum,.......... ALL OF THESE ARE FREE...

THEN THERE IS GENES REUNITED,

I can't recall how much this costs but it is not expensive abt £10.00 JUST FOUND THREE COUSINS LOTS OF PHOTOGRAPHS AND INFORMATION ALL IN ONE DAY.

ROOTSWEB ARCHIVER LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS OF INFO.

https://www.wdhs.org.uk this is a good site

remember when you write to some-one about a member of your family always add on the other names you are looking for, they may not have the main one but they may have several of the others, this i have found so often is the case.

People have moved so often (usually to find work) people have changed their names for many reasons.

Remember also middle names can lead you as well lots of people used their middle names instead of their christian names.

Also remember to work out the dates with families.

Most of all think lateral.

Not forgetting this site i appreciate all of the folk that have helped me with information which they have given freely with the kindness of there hearts............Take a bow folks........Cat:)

Sorry Bren :redface: at the moment as much as I would like to help, I am unable to help with subject write ups.
I have a par-time payed job, look after a Grandchild full time, Run the 'Grey Matter Quiz's ' for the forum, and also Moderate for the Forum (Checking all posts with all that entails :) ), and also caring for an elderly Mother in Law. There are not enough hours as it is in a day, however anyone can feel free to use any information I have posted anywhere on the forum as part of their write up.

Doing a look up for folk and contributing to threads on the forum is the way I relax, as I really enjoy the challenges and memories they invoke.

Good Luck

Pom :angel:

Hi Pom

First of all there is absolutely no need for you to say sorry especially to me, i think all the regulars on here know what a sterling job you do on the forum and seeing everything else you do i don't know how you fit it all in.
I just hope that having started this that members are not feeling pressured in some way by me to contribute, that's why i suggested a volunteer for each subject and i realised that some members would more than likely do a better job than me regards certain subjects and we would end up with a better product at the end.

bren

To be or not to be

Some thing tells me that you don't want my input, you have mentioned people not saying thank you and you yourselves are quilty of the very same crime.
Or is it me........................I think not.....Cat:)

The Census.

From 1841 until the present time a census has been taken every 10 years, only missing 1941 because we were at war. Like many of our records there is a closure period, which means access is given to those record of less than a 100 years old. There has been a challenge to this, which means we might get to look at the 1911 census a couple of years early. But in the main it is the 19thC census which yield a mine of information on our ancesters.

It is important to have no preconceived ideas about the way we spell our names. When the enumerator was filling in the form he carried he could only write what he heard, or thought he heard. The accent played a part, particularly when he was listening to an accent to which his ear was not tuned. The question 'How do you spell that?' was pointless because often no one in the household could read or write. Try saying the name with the accent that would have been spoken at the time.
Another problem we have as researchers is the transcription.
The census was and is used for government statistics, not as we might think for us to find out more about our families. That is the bonus for us, so when we finally track down the elusive GtGt Grandfather after many hours searching, and find that the record has been transcribed incorrectly,
it is often because the transcriber had to write what he thought he saw. It is incorrect, but look at the writing and you can often see why. It is a good idea to familiarise your self with the way letters were written, so that at least capital letters make some sense. I always fill in the section for reporting such errors.

Age is another anomaly, there was no reason to remember the exact age of eight or ten children, life was hard and energies were used elsewhere. Grt Aunt Emily was born when there was snow on the ground, but which year was that? Ages will vary between census not greatly, but some times three or four years. The other reason which we have to consider is one partner fibbing, my Gt Gt Aunt Katherine married a man ten years her junior, and always gave her age at least five years younger than was the case.

There is a charge to view these records, and a choice of websites to use.
Used wisely they are a valuable tool for research.

Thank you

Thank you for those few kind words Alf, (they mean a lot)
...............Cat...............:)

How are we doing with the idea of having How To Go About Your Research .......

Hi Rod

Thanks for asking, at the moment i am just doing a Military write up so when i have completed that i will send it all to you. I am having to do a little research myself regards these records as i have not done much research through these myself.

bren

Some thing tells me that you don't want my input, you have mentioned people not saying thank you and you yourselves are quilty of the very same crime.
Or is it me........................I think not.....Cat:)

Cat, you tell me who the guilty ones are and I'll give 'em a damn good thrashing with a stick of Roob-, rhoo, rhuub, Celery. ;)

( sorry folks I can't spell RHUBARB )

Last edited:
Postied

Thank you Postied,:) I will call on you if the need arises hope the rhubard is in season.................................Cat:)

Thanks Bren for the swift response.

Catkin input is always appreciated but sometimes we are all remiss at saying the things we should. So much goes on on these forums keeping track is very hard sometimes.

The census

As Di has explained it is sometimes very difficult to search for our family on the censuses.

If I may Di,a few more tips...

Bigamy was not unknown so do not presume that your grandad died before your granny remarried.

Illegitimate children and those of widows often took the husbands name as soon as the couple married.
I once did a search where the widows children took the 2nd husbands name,he died , she remarried and her children and those of the 2nd husband took the 3rd husbands name.
To complicate matters they often reverted back to their birthname when they married.

People were not always born where they thought they were.
Workers travelled around and moved address,especially farm labourers and Railway workers.
If you had 8 or 9 offspring it might be difficult to remember where each was born but this means that their birthplace could vary from census to census

Be prepared for the ridiculous.

Pom(Chris) had a family who over 3 censii were
Dugmore-Andrews-Dugmore

and i had one that was
Costello 1881-Barton(the wifes maiden name )1891-Costello 1901
when you owed the rent man and had to move house it was probably better to change your name is case your notoriety followed you.

Alberta and Di excellent tips I wish I had been given that advice when I started. Just another little input I have a relative who on her marriage certificate put her grandfathers name as father. I don't know if she fell out with her Dad or if it was a genuine mistake.

how to post tread

help i must be dim but i want to post a thread and ask about family history how do i do it please:rolleyes:

Hi Brian
In the blue bordered square at the top of the screen you have
birmingham History webring>genealogy&family history>help and advice tips and tricks>aid advice for beginners

Click on the help advice tips and tricks bit and you will come to another main screen for that section and in the top left side it will say start a new thread.

You may like to look at the FAQ or user panel as well.

If you get stuck post again and maybe someone else more knowledgable can explain another way of posting a new thread and then I can learn something new too, but that is how I do it.

Good luck
Louisa

No prob Alberta, Bren will add all of the tips when he puts them in place on the forum.

Just thought of another. Step children are often called 'in-law'.

Can anyone tell me if the research sites i.e. Genes Reunited, Ancestry.co, Rootsweb are honest, I am concerned that once they have my bank details if I subscribe, they will automatically take money without asking. Pam

I subscribe to Ancestry and have had no problem,each year they remind me that my subscription is due to be renewed soon and that if I wish to cancel I must do so in good time.

Back