• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Accuracy of images

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of images I've just searched the forum for all the images I've ever uploaded to it and found 3200.
I suppose it is one place to store them!

If I had thought all those years ago I would have given each image a fully descriptive file name.

Long ago I did start a forum images pdf index on which I named all the pics in the 'Old Street' and 'City Centre' threads (as members posted them) and could search the pdf for street names and go directly to posts showing pics of chosen streets.

Unfortunately the forum internet address changed and all the links became wrong and I could not bulk edit the links.
oldMohawk, you are more disciplined than most! Particularly with digital photography it is SO easy to do on your computer.
I remember in 1981 for my work we had a group of us to select a CAD, computer aided design and analysis system. As the engineer leader we worked with NASA, Boding, McDonald Douglas, IBM, DEC and about 3 or 4 others. The theme to me from all was “get your file management right” We had a couple of mis steps but did get it pretty right.
I am still working on the files I took almost 4 years ago for our 50th River cruise. Thank goodness the date/tine is on each image!

oldMohawk, you are more disciplined than most! Particularly with digital photography it is SO easy to do on your computer.
I remember in 1981 for my work we had a group of us to select a CAD, computer aided design and analysis system. As the engineer leader we worked with NASA, Boding, McDonald Douglas, IBM, DEC and about 3 or 4 others. The theme to me from all was “get your file management right” We had a couple of mis steps but did get it pretty right.
I am still working on the files I took almost 4 years ago for our 50th River cruise. Thank goodness the date/tine is on each image!
Hi Richard, my photo files are all over the place in my computer with duplications. I've lately been testing the Windows built-in Photos app and here it is finding City Centre photos on the forum. I'm trying to use it to find and sort out duplications etc. It is something to do on dark winter days ... although it is sunny and frosty today ... :)
Bhf_photos (Large).jpg

Hi Richard, my photo files are all over the place in my computer with duplications. I've lately been testing the Windows built-in Photos app and here it is finding City Centre photos on the forum. I'm trying to use it to find and sort out duplications etc. It is something to do on dark winter days ... although it is sunny and frosty today ... :)
View attachment 175967
Let us know how well that works! I am trying to segregate subjects by using different sd cards, still not very clean or the way to go. I am sure there is a better system out there, hopefully in the Windows app. Best of luck, please share your success with us!

Many images posted here give little detail or an approximate date. This Forum is used as a research tool and it is helpful to have details rather than just a photograph. This is what segregates the Forum from Facebook where conjecture is often apparent.

And it would be helpful (and courteous) to acknowledge sources, named photographers and of course other member contributions where possible. Very few old images uncovered now are ‘new finds’ as such so perhaps we could make the effort to acknowledge their original source.

As Alan says, we are much more than most social media sites. So let’s take that time and effort to do justice to the originator and help serious researchers and historians to trace back information.

Probably pushing this and asking a lot, but it would also help if we could use cross-references to other threads where it’s helpful and informative (and where time permits of course).

Viv.

Last edited:
thread locked due to yet more off topic posts....one of our rules is to steer clear of posting anything of a political nature

thank you

the team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back