• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A talk to the Kings Heath Local History Society "Moor Street to the Dardanelles: Gallipoli and Birmingham" Wednesday 20th March 2024, 7.15pm

Ian Binnie

knowlegable brummie
By Ian Binnie, Education Co-ordinator and Trustee of the Gallipoli Association
Hundreds of Birmingham men served in this ill-fated campaign of the First World War. Many paid the ultimate sacrifice.

Kings Heath Local History Society meets in the Community Centre on Heathfield Road. Meetings start at 7.15 pm and end by 8.45pm. Talks are free to members. Visitors pay £3.00 per meeting. light refreshments are available for a small charge.

Cheers Ian, My Grandad, Walter Gilbert was in the 9th Warwicks - Joined up in early 1915 and was one of the few taken prisoner by the Turks at Baku. I will certainly try to attend.

Cheers Ian, My Grandad, Walter Gilbert was in the 9th Warwicks - Joined up in early 1915 and was one of the few taken prisoner by the Turks at Baku. I will certainly try to attend.
Hi,
Very interesting. One of the men who I will be talking about (and has a memorial in Brandwood End Cemetery) was with the 9RWR and was killed at Baku.

It was a good lecture last night - Thanks Ian.

It was interesting to hear that the 9th Warwicks served with the ANZAC forces at Anzac Cove. - After the war my Grandad (Walter Gilbert, Service number 22906) was sent out to Australia by the Parkinson Stove company to help set up a new factory at Footscray near Melbourne. It was family "lore" that he had been selected because he had served alongside the Aussies.

Thanks Ian. - In fact it was the redoubtable Kevan Darby that put us right about our Grandad's war record. He didn't talk at all about his time during WW1 and the assumption in the family was that he had been captured at Gallipoli. After he was featured in the Black Country Bugle about his time working for Sandwell Castings during WW2, it was Kevan who put us straight on his being captured at Baku near the end of WW1 war instead.

Hi Ian,
I would have liked to attend but unable.
My Great Uncle John Hawkins Turner we understand served in the Gallipoli campaign, he joined the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars or Worcestershire Yeomanry in 1910 mobilised and posted to Egypt at the outbreak of the war in 1914, l understand the cavalrymen left their horses in Alexandra and converted to infantry for the landings in Gallipoli. He survived but later in the war was killed in action at Huj charging Turkish artillery. He was buried on the battlefield then moved to the British War Cemetery in Gaza, we wonder if it has been destroyed in the current fighting.
I do have some photographs of him prior to being mobilised in barracks in Worcester also battlefield photos of the temporary graves.

Back