• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

440 alum rock road 1936 grocers shop

Chrismary

proper brummie kid
440 alum rock I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any memories/ knowledge of a grocers shop ( i think just past the pelham)? grocers shop in 1936. Can anyone help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
440 Alum Rock Road is between Farndon and Foxton Road, opposite what would have been Southalls. Don't think the numbering has changed since then.

It would be on this old image (probably early 1900s) before conversion to a shop.

Attachments

• alum-rock-rd-early1900s.jpg
    alum-rock-rd-early1900s.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 24
I seem to remember Mum going to a shop in that block that was a bookshop. This would have been in the '50s

Mikejee has very kindly informed me that the grocers was Gwinnett and Oakley. I know about the Oakley connection but does anyone have any connection to or know of the Gwinnett side. Unusual name.

Edwin Alexander & Polly Gwinnett are listed at 440 Alum Rock Road in the 1920s and 30s ERs.

Edwin married Polly Pratt in 1904.

Edwin was born 1880 in West Bromwich and Polly was born 1876 in Aston.

Edwin Alexander & Polly Gwinnett are listed at 440 Alum Rock Road in the 1920s and 30s ERs.

Many thanks

There's some photos and information about Albert Road on this thread...

And this one shows shops near one 170, which would be to the right. Holtom's is no. 182...

Harry Hodgson Oakley & Emily Caroline Oakley are listed at 170 Albert Road on the 1930s ERs.

So possibly a partnership with 2 shops each running one?

There's some photos and information about Albert Road on this thread...

And this one shows shops near one 170, which would be to the right. Holtom's is no. 182...

Thanks for the photos. I remember ' the village' very well. My family ran Oakleys stores until it closed in ? The 70s , and I lived in Morden road and attended stechford school. Happy memories. I was just wondering if it was Oakleys in 1936.
Harry Hodgson Oakley & Emily Caroline Oakley are listed at 170 Albert Road on the 1930s ERs.

So possibly a partnership with 2 shops each running one?
Thank you. Do you know if they are husband and wife or brother and sister. Who is listed at 168 Albert road ? Really appreciate your help.

They are husband and wife, Harry Hodgson Oakley married Emily Caroline Aldred in 1909. Harry was born Bham 1888, Emily in Perry Barr 1889. 3 sons and 3 daughters, 1 son dies young.

Post #15 above gives a listing of the shop in 1921 & 1936, implying the partnership began between those dates.

The Barnett family are listed at 168 in the 1930s, their daughter Ivy marries Clive Oakley one of the sons of the above.

They are husband and wife, Harry Hodgson Oakley married Emily Caroline Aldred in 1909. Harry was born Bham 1888, Emily in Perry Barr 1889. 3 sons and 3 daughters, 1 son dies young.

Post #15 above gives a listing of the shop in 1921 & 1936, implying the partnership began between those dates.

The Barnett family are listed at 168 in the 1930s, their daughter Ivy marries Clive Oakley one of the sons of the above.
Thank you so much , this answers so many questions.

Edwin Alexander and Polly Gwinnett referred to above were my great-grandparents. They were in partnership with the Oakleys as far as I understand it. The listing for Gwinnett and Oakley shops in the early 1930's Kelly's Directory shows a couple of dozen shops, then by the middle of the decade it's down to one and then none. I'm sorry I can't quote the exact number, nor years, but I can't find the notes I made thirty odd years ago when I noted it down whilst researching something else at the central library. My grandad, also Edwin Alexander Gwinnett, was born in 1905 and worked, much against his will, in the shops. The picture shows one of the shops with the Oakley name on it, my grandad is the one on the right. Sadly, I don't know where this shop is, perhaps someone on here could enlighten me? I was always told that the business went bankrupt due to the effects of the terrible depression in the thirties, grandad said that he felt it didn't help that they started selling goods with their own brand on, and that people would always rather stick to what they know. I hope this is of some interest. IMG_0011.jpg

what a great photo you are lucky to have it..lovely well stocked shop...thanks also for the info about your family...i cant see any obvious clues on the photo to help with the location but fingers crossed someone may be able to help...welcome to the forum

lyn

The 1932 Kellys has the following listing:

Oakley's Stores, grocers, 320, 440 & 732 Alum Rock rd.Saltley; 148 Bloomsbury st & 368 Bordesley gr

The 1932 Kellys has the following listing:

Oakley's Stores, grocers, 320, 440 & 732 Alum Rock rd.Saltley; 148 Bloomsbury st & 368 Bordesley gr
thanks mike so most likely the photo is taken at one of those shops trouble is which one :rolleyes:

lyn

Looking at the 1950s maps it doesn't appear that it can be any of the shops on Alum Rock Road, all of which were terraced. The other 2 shops were on street corners, not sure if the photo is a corner or not.

I assume 368 Bordesley Green is the same building and it does seem to match.

Last edited:
Hi,

I can remember both Oakley's and Barnetts Stores in Albert Road in the 1950's and
into the early 60s.
We did all our grocery shopping at Oakleys, and I recollect that it was run by a Miss Oakley
(never knew her Christian name) who lived in a large house on the corner of Bordesley Green East
and Station Road (diagonally opposite the Police Station)

Kind regards
Dave

Hi,

I can remember both Oakley's and Barnetts Stores in Albert Road in the 1950's and
into the early 60s.
We did all our grocery shopping at Oakleys, and I recollect that it was run by a Miss Oakley
(never knew her Christian name) who lived in a large house on the corner of Bordesley Green East
and Station Road (diagonally opposite the Police Station)

Kind regards
Dave

Attachments

• OAKLEY.jpg
    OAKLEY.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 1
Back