• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

23 court 5 House Hurst street

Jill Beard

hi My Great Grandfather James Wetton described as a Coal Dealer lived at 23 Court 5 House Hurst Street in 1901 .. i would like to locate where in Hurst street this was on a map from that era. I understand the family had two houses back to back. Also another Great Grandfather lived 73 Dean Street and i would like to see where that was on a map. Thank you

Sometime between 1891 and 1901 Hurst St and Lower Hurst St were merged and the numbers changed. In 1891 James Wetten was listed at 5 back 42 Lower Hurst St (instead of the Court no.) which I suspect was probably the same house as 1901. It's not easy to equate the courts with the house no's, they are no listed.

However in 1891 Caleb Cox is listed at no. 43 Lower Hurst St, the next house being that of James Wetten. He was also there in 1881 and the next address is court 10, so I'd surmise that this was the correct one. Map from 1890...

0 - Lower Hurst St.jpg

As you say Mark so difficult to assess the court numbers, I've just spent an hour trying to figure this one out. On the basis that on the 1901 census the enumerator has listed the properties in odd numbers I have assumed the renumbering had already taken place.
This is my take on it.

Attachments

• hurst-st-ct23.jpg
    hurst-st-ct23.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 16
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
The merger,of lower Hurst st and Hurst St took place between the 1897 and 1899 Kellys.

Back