• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

2 Back 22, Villiers Street, Ladywood

ablockley

Hi
My 2xG Grandmother was resident at the time of her death, in 1910, at the above address.
Despite viewing old OS maps, I'm not able to locate the address.

Have I missed something or is/was Villiers Street not in Ladywood but a nearby district?
Also, why the unusual numbering (i.e. 2 Back 22)?

Any help would br greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 16.07.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-23 at 16.07.23.png
    129.8 KB · Views: 4
Hi
My 2xG Grandmother was resident at the time of her death, in 1910, at the above address.
Despite viewing old OS maps, I'm not able to locate the address.

Have I missed something or is/was Villiers Street not in Ladywood but a nearby district?
Also, why the unusual numbering (i.e. 2 Back 22)?

Any help would br greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Andrew
2 back of 22 is not unusual. It simply means that behind house number 22 was a court containing more houses. These were numbered 1, 2, 3, etc

Probably in Winson Green
Anyone know how its numbered?

View attachment 179778
Thanks, I think that's probably the answer. Her son, who reported the death, lived at 82 Wellington Road which I'm assuming is at the end of Villiers Street on the map. Until her husbands death she had been living in Shropshire so I had assumed she moved to be close to him, so that all fits. Again, many thanks.

Thanks. That’s interesting and something I’ve not come across before.
My husband, in 1953, was born in Birmingham in a house numbered 1 back of 50. In this case there was an entry between 50 and 54 which led to a court with I think, 5 houses.
Pulled down in the early 60s and under Dartmouth Circus.

Villiers Terrace, which was off Villiers Street was where my mother was born in 1933. And it is in Winson Green. Opposite the entrance to Winson Green prison I think (no connection, I promise).
I grew up living at 2 back 35 Auckland Road, Sparkbrook in the 50's until 1963 when we moved. We were never afraid to walk up the entry though although we mostly ran every where
Dave H

Back