• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1940/45 B'ham Electoral Rolls

Hi Mary,

Birmingham Central Library should be able to help you with the records your looking for. There are quite a few Firkins listed on the Electoral Rolls, if you can think of any forenames to narrow it down I will gladly do searches for you. Also, I have just noticed that the 1945 listing is Emily E Firkin, it is possible that its not the same couple.

Macca

Hi macca,
thank you,will email the library and see if they can help me..The only names i can think off on my mums side are lenoard,stephen,william,doreen,emily,all firkin surname...Any help would be appreciated..

mary

Hi Mary,

Had a quick look, Couldn't find Stephen or Doreen, there is a Leonard and May Firkin registered at 109 Wainwright Street, Aston 1930-39.

Macca

there are william firkin entries as follows

1912 william firkin 2 beechfield avenue, beechfield rd.
1920 william henry and mary ann firkin (as above)
1925 william henry and mary ann firkin (as above)
1925 william and emily may firkin 83 garbett street
1925 william daniel and mary ann firkin 100 vincent parade
1930 william henry, mary ann, bernard wilfred and lilian violet firkin all living 2 beechfield avenue
1930 william daniel and mary ann firkin 100 vincent parade
1935 william henry, mary ann and bernard wilfred firkin 2 beechfield ave.
1935 william and emily may firkin 83 garbett st.
1939 william henry and mary ann firkin 2 beechfield ave.
1939 william and emily may firkin 83 garbett st.
1945 william h and mary a firkin 2 back 18 beechfield road
1945 william and emily e firkin 9 nursery rd.

hope some of these are yours.

Many thanks to all you wonderfull,kind people for helping me with my search on the firkin family..At this stage i am not sure if they are related to me,but will keep on digging...Does anyone have any idea as to when the next census was taken after the war and how do i find it...

Many thanks,
mary.:)

Hi Mary,

Had a quick look, Couldn't find Stephen or Doreen, there is a Leonard and May Firkin registered at 109 Wainwright Street, Aston 1930-39.

Macca

Hi macca,
I dont think the leonard you found is the one i am after,any ideas as to what i can do next to locate my family after the war??? thanks for you help..

mary

Hi Mary,

There is a 100 year closure on census records so the next one (1921) won't be available until 2021 or shortly before. I think the 1950 electoral roll is being transcribed at the moment so hopefully that will help in your search.

Macca

Hi macca,

Many thanks to you for your help,have just recieved an email of Birmingham Library and they have given me the contact details of whome to write too regarding information on Erdington Cottage Homes..

Mary

Back