• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1940/45 B'ham Electoral Rolls

P

perrycommoner

Can anyone point me in the right direction to the electoral rolls for B/ham in the 19 40's, please.

Are they available?

TTFN LDE

Hi,

They are available on line from Midlands Historical Data. There's a small charge.

Ann

if you post your request some of us have the electoral rolls and would try to find it for you :)

Thanks for that suggestion, Shera. It can be awkard when you don't know the exact address - 0r should I even say street!?

I have found two relatives adresses this afternoon but I couldn't find my paternal grandmother and one of my aunts. I will have another go tomorrow and see how it goes.

LDE

Shera

If I wanted to find my grandfathers first wife how would I do it. She left him in about 1911 and went to Bournemouth I think.
I would be grateful for any help.
Wendyp

if you give your grandfathers full name and date of birth and anything you know of area they lived, children, etc we may be able to find her. just luck if the records are there. im sure everyone will try to help. :)

OK Shera here goes.
In 1901 my Grandad Henry Howkins age 31 lived in Clodsall Road, Alum Rock. also living there was his wife Nelly Mary Howkins (nee Laws) age 34. She was born in London and came to teach in Birmingham. They had married in London in 1892.

Unfortunately they employed a ladies maid and somehow my Grandad and this lady had an affair. My dad was later born. Nelly left Grandad and went to live in Bournemouth I think, but would never divorce him as she was a devout catholic. So for years and years grandad and my then grandmother lived together and had my dad and his sister. They stayed together till they both died. They only married in about 1940 I think which is when Nelly must have died and they were then able to marry. My gran was called Mary Agnes Atkinson. born 1882.
Hope this is clear.
Wendy

Hi,I hope this is alright to put my Question on this Thread.
My Aunt Amy Sheppard also known as Dolly left home many years ago
and not been since,I have tried to find her but had no luck.She may not be with us anymore as she would be 89 years of age now.
Last we heard Amy was living at 71A The parade,Hockley or Ladywood not
sure,this was 1938.
I would like to know if she was still living there in the 1940`s.
If anyone as the Electoral Rolls for these years i would be grateful for a look up,i am willing to pay for the look up if need be.
Thankyou
Carol

OK Shera here goes.
In 1901 my Grandad Henry Howkins age 31 lived in Clodsall Road, Alum Rock. also living there was his wife Nelly Mary Howkins (nee Laws) age 34. She was born in London and came to teach in Birmingham. They had married in London in 1892

hello wendy

what a sad tale for all concerned. actually its harder than i thought. i only have the records for warks, staffs, worcs etc not dorset. tried looking at the directories on ancestry and there was a mrs nellie howkins in buckinghamshire in 1931 but she is a shopkeeper and post office so unlikely to be yours who was a teacher. i hope someone has an idea how to search in dorset where you think she may have lived. :)

Hi,I hope this is alright to put my Question on this Thread.
My Aunt Amy Sheppard also known as Dolly left home many years ago
and not been since,I have tried to find her but had no luck.She may not be with us anymore as she would be 89 years of age now.
Last we heard Amy was living at 71A The parade,Hockley or Ladywood not
sure,this was 1938.
I would like to know if she was still living there in the 1940`s.

hello carol, the only two amy sheppards on the electoral rolls for 1945 are amy sheppard and andrew sheppard living 162 station rd. moseley and amy f sheppard living at 16 st. augustines rd. edgbaston which seems to have been a boarding house or something as there are several people living there (13 including amy).

Hello Shera,
Thankyou for answering my message,i have never found a marriage for Amy,so that would not be my Amy with Andrew.
The other one might be worth looking at especially being a Boarding House.
THankyou very much Shera for your help i appreciate it.
I have the Salvation Army looking for Amy so anything i find i can pass on.
Carol

the sad thing is though carol i have just looked at the deaths and there is an amy frances sheppard b. 9.12.1898 died aug 1984 in bham. if this is the amy f sheppard at st. augustines rd. it couldnt be your amy. :(

Hello Shera,
No this Amy could not have been mine,as mine was born in 1919.
Thankyou for trying to help me,it is really good of you to look for me.
Carol

Hi Shera

Thank you for your help. Perhaps she went to Bucks before she retired and died in Bournemouth - I dont know. She was a Londoner after all.
Anyway someone else may pick it up and have some answers.
Wendy

Can I ask if someone would kindly look up in Kelly's for a James Bott living in Belchers Lane please and also George Clegg in Woodwells Road Ward End.

I am really trying to find out when they moved to these addresses.

Many thanks :)

Thank you so much for that Shera, I am very grateful.

My Mother was born in Nechalls in 1917 and I recall her telling me that the family moved to Woodwells Road when she was 11 (about 1928) so that fits in with you finding my Grandfather Clegg's details.

Again, many thanks to you :)

Another request please,
Who is living at 93 St Agatha's Road Ward End at about the same time.

93 st agathas rd

1925 alfred james pierce and florry pierce

1930 arthur bancroft and mary frances bancroft

1935 as above

1939 as above

1945 thomas a herbert, annie herbert and frank fearnley

Hi everyone, back to the person who may be looking for someone in Bournemouth - in those days B ournemouth was not in Dorset but in Hampshire - has only been in Dorset in more recent years.
Sheri

Hi everyone,am new to this and dont know if i am doing it right..
Could someone look at the electracol rolls for the 40s as i am researching my mums mum and father..Am seeking emily may firkin and william firkin off garbett street,ladywood,birmingham..
Many thanks,
mary

Hi,

William and Emily May Firkin 1925-1939 83 Garbett Street.

1945 William and Emily E Firkin 9 Nursery Road.

Macca.:)

Hi macca,thank you so much for that information..any idea as to where to look between 1939 and 1945??? where abouts is nursery road in birmingham..I take it there are no children with them as thee story goes that mum and her siblings were taken into care and placed at erdington cottage homes.
Thanx
mary

Hi Mary,

There were no electoral roles published during the war. I think Nursery Road was in Lozells or Hockley, someone on here will be able to tell you more precisely! Only children over the age of 21 would appear on the electoral role. I can search for more Firkins if you like.

Macca

Hi macca,
Now you have got me wondering as to why they moved there from garbett st,my mum and her sister would of only been four and five in 1945,so the family story seems true,now i will have to try and locate as to where the records are being held for erdington cottage homes..Any help with the FIRKIN surname would be a great help.
mary

Back