• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Search results

1. S

W Baker Photographer 110 Moseley Rd

I too have a photo from this photographer which i am trying to date. I inherited an album which has lots of photos in but no names attached all i have to go on is the inscription at the front which states was given to mother on her 55th birthday from 2 of her daughters, in 1896
  2. S

Police Stations

Hi Will My husbands uncle pounded the beat around the Erdington area at least that's were they lived around the same time as you, and his cousin's also joined the Birmingham Police Force. One of his cousin's died last year and his uncle many years ago now, its a small world we live in
  3. S

A Family of Policemen

Hi Mike Many thanks for the above info. My Great Grandfather was Walter. I have a couple of newspaper cuttings about Daniel when he retired from the force in 1926, if I knew how to put them on here I would. Sylvia
  4. S

A Family of Policemen

Hi Everyone, Hoping that someone might help with the Police records of this family of brothers. Charles Long - born 1861 in Arrow, Warwickshire joined the Police in Atherstone Division in 1879 moved to Rugby Constabulary in 1885 by 1911 he had retired but still in Rugby. Henry Long - born 1864...
  5. S

Cambridge Street area HELP Required

Thanks Ken, That tip is fantastic.
  6. S

9 Chesheley Street? Aston Birmingham

Thanks Dek
  7. S

Ancestry.co.uk - Re: Scotland

The best site I have found for Scottish records is Scotland People, you pay to view Sylvia
  8. S

Once again, Thankyou so much you guys are fantastic, you come up trumps every time. Thankyou Lindy I have found it on the old map so know roughly where it was now. My next question now is could there be any photos about of this area Sylvia
  9. S

I have re-looked at the original transcript on Ancestry 1901 census Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 2867; Folio: 141; Page: 6. and it looks like Chisheley or Chesheley it is in the parish of St James Aston Duddeston. The family name is Walter Long born 1872 Arrow Any other suggestions after...
  10. S

Thank you so much Phil, this is just what I was after, as it shows the Crescent and the police station. Many Many Thanks Sylvia
  11. S

Police Stations

Could you look up for me please the Police station in Ladywood, or the nearest one to Cambridge Street. My Great Grandfather was Walter Long and was the Police Sergeant there in 1911. However in 1901 the family lived at 9 Chisheley Street, in the parish of St james, Aston and I am unsure where...
  12. S

the Crescent. Cambridge Street

Does anyone have any old photos of the above place. My Grandfather lived there in 1911 Many Thanks Sylvia
  13. S

Hi all Thanks for the help, Dek I dont have windows 7 but thanks Lindyloo will try that way see if it works
  14. S

My Great Grandfather lived at the above address in 1901, could anyone tell me where this was please? Sylvia
  15. S

I have been trying to save a map of the Ladywood Area showing Cambridge Street, I have tried to save one off Auto-route and also off Google maps, without success. I am writing a brief autobiography of my Grandfather in Microsoft Word and would like to include a map of the area where he was born...
  16. S

Police Service Records

This would account for the fact that I have been unable to get hold of Dave Cross, I have been trying to get information regarding my great grandfather Walter Long who served at Ladywood in the early 1900's. I hope that someone else takes over, and that the museum reopens soon, then I can send...
  17. S

Police Service Records

I too have been disappointed at my response from Dave at the Police Museum, I contacted him regarding my great grandfather Walter Long, he replied to me stating that someone in Australia had contacting him regarding Walter's brother Daniel who was also in the Police force as were 2 other...
Back