• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

A Family of Policemen

sylyal

proper brummie kid
Hi Everyone, Hoping that someone might help with the Police records of this family of brothers.

Charles Long - born 1861 in Arrow, Warwickshire joined the Police in Atherstone Division in 1879 moved to Rugby Constabulary in 1885 by 1911 he had retired but still in Rugby.

Henry Long - born 1864 in Arrow, Warwickshire was a Policeman in Chelsea London before 1891 and still there in 1911

Daniel Long - born 1866 in Arrow, Warwickshire joined the in Birmingham in 1884 was awarded the Kings Coronation Medal in 1912 retired in 1926. In 1901 this family lived in Miller Street, and he was a Police Sergeant. In 1911 this family lived at Bloomsbury Street and he was a Police Inspector, this must have been a Police house as they had lots of borders, all policemen. Which Police Stations would he have been at?

Walter Long - born 1872 in Arrow, Warwickshire joined the police sometime after 1891 but before 1897, was a Policeman in 1901 living Chicheley Street, Birmingham then moved to Crescent, off Cambridge Street by 1911 when he was a Police Sergeant.

there were 2 other brothers who followed similar careers:
Alfred Long - born 1860 in Arrow, Warwickshire remained there following father's career of gamekeeper at Ragley Hall.

George Long - born 1878 in Arrow, Warwickshire worked as a Railway Worker Porter, and was living with Walter in 1901 at Chicheley Street.

Anything that anyone can find out from any source would be greatly appreciated.
Sylvia:puppyeyes:

Sylvia Bloomsbury Police Station was a very large imposing building (this would cover Chicheley St) and may had an accommodation quarter as a Inspector I would think he would have been based at Steelhouse Lane in the town centre.Dek

Hi Sylvia
There is listed in Kellys:
1903-05 Newton Street, A Division, Michael McManus, superintendent
& D. C. C.; William Whlttingham, Daniel Long & Alfred Lambeth, inspectors
1908-10 Duke st. D division Charles Thomas, superint. ; George Street & Daniel Long, inspectors
1912-15 Moseley Street, E Division, Joseph Clarke, superintendent;Daniel Long, chief inspector;
This area apparently covered Kings Heath, Mosely, acocks green, Yardley, Hay mills & Tyseley.
In 1921 he is listed as superintendent in charge of E division.
In 1921 he also has his own entry in the commercial section of the directory:
Long Daniel, supt. E division of police, 112 Moseley street; Small Heath Police station, 248 & 250 Coventry road ; Edward Road Police station, Balsall heath ; Hay Mills ; Acock's Green; Spark hill; Moseley & King's heath
Mike

Hi Mike
Many thanks for the above info. My Great Grandfather was Walter. I have a couple of newspaper cuttings about Daniel when he retired from the force in 1926, if I knew how to put them on here I would.
Sylvia

Hello Mike/Sylvia,
There is a small Police Museum at Sparkhill Police Station, Stratford Road, Birmingham. I visited there a few years ago. I remember that they had one or two original old hand written record books, of Police Officers who served in the old Birmingham City Police. I have just 'googled', and found that the curator has now retired, and that the museum might be closed at present. It might be worth making a phone call though.

Regards.......................Steve

Warwick County Records Office have details of police officers in Warwickshire, I think. Might be worth a try.

Wonder if anyone can identify the place that this photo was taken. City of Birmingham Police Band in 1936. Police Chief C.C. H. Moriarty O.B.E. in front row.
1184967_469587913151670_1194972581_n.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Cant open the above picture, but the Evening Despatch January 1939 shows Moriarty at the Policeman's Ball!

Back