• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Geoff, great photo. John Cadbury opened his first grocer shop at 93 Bull Street in 1824, selling Tea, Coffee and Cocoa. Next door, at 92 Bull Street, John’s father, Richard Tapper Cadbury, had already established a Draper’s business. In 1847, John’s brother, Benjamin Head Cadbury who had...
  2. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

To anyone who's interested here's Bull Street in 1840 showing exactly where 92 and 93 Bull Street are, the established businesses of the 'Cadbury Brothers' John and Benjamin, this is before Corporation Street existed....
  3. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

I see, thanks again for pinning numbr 93 and for imparting your knowledge. I always know your accuracy is second to none. Here's a mock-up of where the Cadbury shop started and later showing the expansion of the Barrow Stores. The placement of a Blue Plaque would be appropriate somewhere near...
  4. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Mike, so are you saying your 1950 street map could be numbered differently in John Cadbury's time, mid 1800's?
  5. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Thanks Mike, interesting to see odd and even numbers on the same sides of the road.
  6. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Mike, just out of interest can you pin-point 93 Bull Street please? I've found this 1840 ish street map while looking for "The Friends Meeting House" where some of the Cadbury family members were buried but there's no numbers on the properties. Incidentally John Cadbury’s father was buried in...
  7. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Today I received a reply from the Birmingham Civic Society about my proposal for a Blue Plaque for John Cadbury and the Blue Plaque Coordinator at BCS has agreed to present it to the Society's Heritage Committee for approval. The down side is it could take a long time before one is put in place.
  8. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Janice I did check the website as you suggested and to quote directly from there ...."In 1998 English Heritage initiated a trial national scheme which saw 34 plaques installed in Birmingham, Merseyside, Southampton and Portsmouth. The scheme was discontinued in 2005." Phil
  9. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

I apologise if I offended anyone, :( it’s all meant to be a bit light hearted and not to be taken too seriously. :) In the meantime, I sent an email to the Birmingham Civic Society who seem to be the ones responsible for Blue Plaques in our City, to ask if there is a plague for John Cadbury...
  10. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Janice, if it wasn't for John Cadbury and his shop at 93 Bull Street there wouldn't be a business for his sons to inherit. Then where would we be? We would have to put up with all other inferior brands of chocolate. John's shop was known for Tea, Coffee and Cocoa, he introduced drinking...
  11. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hello MWS, The Cadbury's are intersting to me also because John and therefore his sons George and Rchard are my cousins, John is a 5th cousin and sons George and Richard are 6th cousins. Distant but I'll take it, just wish I had a few shares in the family business. You can pay me in chocolate. Phil
  12. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hello Perocut, I have seen the Blue plague for George Cadbury on 32 George Road but I would have thought there would have been one for his father John Cadbury's shop at 93 Bull Street in the city where it all started. Can you help Lyn with how to make this happen? Phil :rolleyes::joy:
  13. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Lyn, thanks for taking up the batten, when it arrives in the post let me know if you want it screwed to the wall? I'll send the wife over. :grinning::):):)
  14. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hi Lyn, thanks for volunteering lets us know how it goes, good luck.....
  15. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Hello Lyn, No, my post was originally asking if any one knew where 93 Bull Street is and was there a Blue Plague to commemorate John Cadbury? Then Mike replied with a pic showing where 93 Bull Street is and a suggestion to where a plague should be. I followed it up, if a campaign to award a...
  16. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Thanks Mike, Phil
  17. Phil B

The Cadbury Family

Does anyone have a street map showing where 93 Bull Street was, the site of John Cadbury's first shop? I've looked on the present maps (google) and looked for a Blue Plague but I can't see one. Perhaps a campaign should be started to erect one on the nearest building to the actual site, saying...
  18. Phil B

Perrott Street, Winson Green

Hello JDC, .....here's a part tree showing your parents and grandparents, Harold and William both have their mother's surname as Hodgkiss not Hoskins.
  19. Phil B

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

Hi Anne, what a worthwhile project. I haven't read every thread on this topic and I'm not sure who qualifies to be mentioned on/in the Aston Parish memorial. I have a few relatives from Aston/Winson Green/Hockley who paid the ultimate price in both WWI and WWI (10 in total) and I was wondering...
  20. Phil B

Perrott Street, Winson Green

Was it Cuddesdon? If it was there must be a connection somewhere along the way. Phil
Back