• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Aston Parish Church WW1 Memorial

I found the Wiggan name confusing but then all his other records seem to be Piper and there is an Aston connection. The other one bothered me because the death didn't seem linked to the war.

Updated list of those missing, with notes. Apologies to anyone if I've missed something! :) I've kept the possible and likely duplicates in for now.
Ann

Outstanding names Aston PC Memorial – 28 February 2022

Name
Comment
ADKINS F
BALDWIN W ALikely duplicate of W E
BATTEN P
BLAKE R
BREWSTER G WLikely duplicate G D
BROOKES GAlready have G H Brookes. Five others suggested George William Brookes Royal Irish Fusiliers 7578585, Aston address, may include. George Brookes RWR 307486(9). George Brookes RWR 2376. George Brooks 200281 RWR. Cecil George Brooks Machine Gun Corps 26882, Saltley.
CLARKE T GMight be a duplicate of S G
COLE ATwo suggested, can’t find Aston link. Alfred Cole 3182, Alfred Cole 8976
COLEMAN GLikely duplicate of G J or G W
CORRIGAN J
DAVIES H H
DOUGLAS W
FLETCHER G
FOSTER DMight be duplicate of Richard Foster (Dick)
GRASETON JOne suggestion. Investigating.
HOMER E G
HOMER R
HOTCHAM FPossible duplicate of F HITCHMAN
HUTTON A
JAY RSuggested possible Robert RAY 68849. Investigating.
KENVILLE WLikely duplicate of W Venville
KIRBY WLikley duplicate of W P
MACDONALD H
MAULL T KLikely duplicate of T H Maull
MOGG H JSuggested J E Mogg 44074. Investigating.
MORRIS W
MURRAY R A
OSBOURNE TLikely duplicate of T Osborne
PADGETT WLikely duplicate of W Paget
PAXFORD C H C Paxford has been found. Will include.
PIEECE ALikely mis-spelling and duplicate of A PREECE
PIPER J PMay have been found, two possible, investigating.
PRICE F WMight be duplicate of J W
PRIER GMight be duplicate of G PRICE
RIDER A ELikely duplicate of A E RYDER
SHEEREY JLikely duplicate of J SHELLEY
STAKES G
STATON F GLikely duplicate of F G STATHAM
STEVENS FPossible duplicate of F STEVENS (i.e. two entries)
TONKS J R
TOWNSEND J E
TRANTER E TEA TRANTER 5960 suggested. Also looking at possibility of Ernest and Thomas Tranter, two brothers. Investigating.
VIGUS W HPossibly H S Vigors 129885. Investigating.
WALLIS CMight be duplicate of C WILLIS, but that not found either
WARNER C CLikely duplicate of C E
WELLS F W
WESTERN FPossible duplicate of S Western
WILLIAMSON C E
WILLIS CMight be duplicate of C WALLIS, but that not found either
WILLOCK WLikley duplicate of C WHILLOCK
WILSON A EHave possibility, but no Aston connection

Last edited:
Thanks Anne. Hope our digging is of some help.
It's been of great help. Since 7 February when I put on the initial post, we have identified 19, and found the addresses of 2 more. Brilliant!:heart: :) :)
I will do a separate post shortly of those where we haven't got an Aston address - given all of your sleuthing we're bound to find some!
Ann

I would suspect that an Aston connection is enough. It would be impossible to link everyone to Aston parish church.
Busy today but hope to do some more tomorrow.
I have a Joseph Piper 1484 (Pension Records ) born Aston 1883, needs more research, Aston area covered a very large area at one time, Small Heath, Sparkbrook, Nechells , Lozells, Hockley and many more came under the Aston Manor umbrella , The problem we have is connecting the people to Aston Church, did all the other churches come under Aston Church ?,
I have not connected them to the Church, but to Aston. Evidence they were born here, married here, place of baptism of children, lived in a 1911 census Aston registration district (as some way of defining Aston, and yes, that included Nechells, Deritend, Duddeston, Lozells etc. (not Hockley as it was Birmingham) at some point, not necessarily 1911 though. Increasingly, as we begin to look at the remaining people, we are seeing evidence of relatives in Aston who might have given the name to the Church. I think that this will mean some records remain as 'unknown address in Aston', although I think I might add something like 'relatives lived here' instead.

Ann, I don't think he is the person we are seeking but I do think that the posting (179) that Janice did is the correct man, he does have connections to the church as well..

I found 2 George Stokes but can't connect either to Aston. One lived in Sparkbrook and the other Ladywood. Still searching. Both on Hall of Memory site.
I couldn't either Janice, but I did find George Starkey living just around the corner from Aston Church, whom I think is G Stakes.

Janice I thought Stakes was Stokes as well, but checking through my own lists I came across George Starkey, quite a few of the people we have found do have mis-spelt surnames, it depends on who wrote them down in the first place and who transcribed them to the memorial, how many names have been mis-spelt on all the census we use.

Yes. I just thought changing an a for an o made sense. Quite a jump to Starkey but as you say it depends on how they were said and how written down.

I have been looking at C Paxford, I think I have found him as Horace Charles Paxford born Aston 1890, died 20/09/1917 reg R/2649 , was married in Aston Church 1912 to Vivienne Bennett.

I have been looking at C Paxford, I think I have found him as Horace Charles Paxford born Aston 1890, died 20/09/1917 reg R/2649 , was married in Aston Church 1912 to Vivienne Bennett.
I think you've found another one, thank you.:) I had looked at him superficially a good while ago, when I was less inclined to look at variations in initials. There isn't any other candidate though. I have located him in 1911 census in Nechells, so have an Aston address. I will include him.

I think CE Williamson might be G E. George Edwin Williamson a Cpl of Royal Warwicks (number 1630).
Effects reg lists widow Elizabeth
1646224340676.png
George Edwin Williamson married Elizabeth Adey at St Peter and Paul Aston in 1909.
1646224434802.png
Pension card lists a child also George - error on transcript with number 1680.
Child baptised at St Peter and Paul in 1910
1646224609953.png
1911 living at 1 Elsie Place Bright Street

Good afternoon everyone. I've been a reader of the forum on and off for years, but have never posted, so I hope this is a topic of interest.

I've spent many hours researching the names of the war dead listed on the WW1 Memorial located within the Church (not to be confused with the memorial for the 8th Batallion RWR). I have the support of the Parochial Church Council in doing this, and the overall aim is to publish a commemorative book to sit alongside the Memorial.

Of the 618 names on the Memorial, I have fully identified 523, and partially identified another 16 (just an Aston address missing). The details can be found on a website I've created at AstonWW1Memorial.com. Whilst I am very confident that the details are correct, I would welcome any feedback on possible errors, and I am particularly interested in finding out details of 79 names I've been unable to trace, although some of them are duplicates or are unlikely to be untraceable for other reasons.

All help will be gratefully received. The more complete the information, the better the commemorative book will be.
Many thanks
Ann
What a phenomenal piece of work. Thank you very much

Hi Ann....When was the memorial first unveiled ? and do you know when it was conceived ?

No need to answer Ann, just been on your web site and seen the information I required

Last edited:
I have a James Corrigan reg 17886 not killed but went missing 1917, later to be found as a prisoner, released in January 1919, I also think he was court martialled for shooting himself in the foot in 1916, he was found not guilty this was in June 1919, I was thinking if the memorial was unveiled before 1919, they may have thought James had been killed and added his name, also I cannot link him directly to Aston, he was a Hockley lad.

Hi Anne, what a worthwhile project.

I haven't read every thread on this topic and I'm not sure who qualifies to be mentioned on/in the Aston Parish memorial. I have a few relatives from Aston/Winson Green/Hockley who paid the ultimate price in both WWI and WWI (10 in total) and I was wondering if these 4 family members below qualify.

1914 - 1918 WWI
1. Robert Bird snr, born 1875 (1st cousin, 3 x removed) of 46 Thlimble Mill Lane, Birmingham
Enlisted 3rd Sep. 1914 in the 12th Bn. Rifle Brigade, S/1376. When entrenched about 3 miles north of Ypres, Belgium around the canal at Boezinghe in late March 1916 they were being hit intermittently by enemy artillery. It is assumed he was killed in this area probably by artillery fire. KIA 31.3.1916.

2. Walter Bird, born 1881 (1st cousin, 3 x removed) of 65 Rocky Lane, Nechalls, Birmingham
Enlisted in the 6th Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment, 12660. He died a day before his brother while entrenched at Maricourt, France, probably by artillery fire. KIA 30.3.1916.

3. Charles Edwin Baugh, born 1894 (1st cousin, twice removed) of 124, Avondale Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham
Enlisted in the 16th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, service number 511, Lance Corporal Charles Edwin Baugh Regiment died at the Battle of Delville Wood, one of the engagements in the Battle of the Somme, KIA 27.7. 1916.

4. George Sanford, born 21.5.1896 (Great Uncle) of 78 Devonshire St, Hockley, Birminham.
Enlisted in the 10th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 8537, George Sandford is entrenched near Richebourg, St Vaast, France. While in trench IND 1a. approximately a mile north of Givenchy-lès-la-Basséein, he was shot dead by a sniper. He’s mentioned by name in War Diary, WD WO-95-2085-3_1 page 44. KIA 23.10.1915.

Good luck with your project.
Phil

I haven't read every thread on this topic and I'm not sure who qualifies to be mentioned on/in the Aston Parish memorial. I have a few relatives from Aston/Winson Green/Hockley who paid the ultimate price in both WWI and WWI (10 in total) and I was wondering if these 4 family members below qualify.

1914 - 1918 WWI
1. Robert Bird snr, born 1875 (1st cousin, 3 x removed) of 46 Thlimble Mill Lane, Birmingham
Enlisted 3rd Sep. 1914 in the 12th Bn. Rifle Brigade, S/1376. When entrenched about 3 miles north of Ypres, Belgium around the canal at Boezinghe in late March 1916 they were being hit intermittently by enemy artillery. It is assumed he was killed in this area probably by artillery fire. KIA 31.3.1916.

2. Walter Bird, born 1881 (1st cousin, 3 x removed) of 65 Rocky Lane, Nechalls, Birmingham
Enlisted in the 6th Bn. Royal Berkshire Regiment, 12660. He died a day before his brother while entrenched at Maricourt, France, probably by artillery fire. KIA 30.3.1916.

3. Charles Edwin Baugh, born 1894 (1st cousin, twice removed) of 124, Avondale Rd., Sparkhill, Birmingham
Enlisted in the 16th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, service number 511, Lance Corporal Charles Edwin Baugh Regiment died at the Battle of Delville Wood, one of the engagements in the Battle of the Somme, KIA 27.7. 1916.

4. George Sanford, born 21.5.1896 (Great Uncle) of 78 Devonshire St, Hockley, Birminham.
Enlisted in the 10th Bn. Royal Warwickshire Regiment, 8537, George Sandford is entrenched near Richebourg, St Vaast, France. While in trench IND 1a. approximately a mile north of Givenchy-lès-la-Basséein, he was shot dead by a sniper. He’s mentioned by name in War Diary, WD WO-95-2085-3_1 page 44. KIA 23.10.1915.

Phil
Annie's project is abouit the names that are on the memorial
See reply to previous query about missing names

Just a quick thankyou to all involved in this project G Price mentioned a few times is my dad's, moms, moms first husbands son, (I think that's right) Dad has letters medals and photo so will get him to look them out. Knew about the French memorial but never crossed my mind about Aston Church memorial. Thanks again

Good afternnon everyone. Sorry I haven't posted recently - I've been puppy-sitting for a week, and seemed never to find the time. I will catch up, but am away on holiday next week for 10 days, so there will be another lull. I doubt if I will be able to updtae the website itself until towards the end of the month. But I remain overwhemed by the comments and contributions. :) :):heart:

Just a quick thankyou to all involved in this project G Price mentioned a few times is my dad's, moms, moms first husbands son, (I think that's right) Dad has letters medals and photo so will get him to look them out. Knew about the French memorial but never crossed my mind about Aston Church memorial. Thanks again
Hi there. Can I confirm this is George Price, died 1/7/16 RWR 1582? I have his mother as Jane Black (presumably he 2nd marriage name). Do you know who his father was?
We are looking to write a number of pieces about some of the men on the Memorial. If you have further details I could write something. The plan is to publish some of these on the Church's website when I do a 'launch' of the project with them we tell the stories of some of the men. Let me know.
Ann

I think CE Williamson might be G E. George Edwin Williamson a Cpl of Royal Warwicks (number 1630).
Effects reg lists widow Elizabeth
View attachment 168144
George Edwin Williamson married Elizabeth Adey at St Peter and Paul Aston in 1909.
View attachment 168145
Pension card lists a child also George - error on transcript with number 1680.
Child baptised at St Peter and Paul in 1910
View attachment 168146
1911 living at 1 Elsie Place Bright Street
Another great piece of detective work, and given the similarities of intitials, particulalry as they are phonetically similaar, I think you have the man.

1914 - 1918 WWI

Phil
Thanks Phil. As another contibutor has indicated, the names we are researching are those missing from the 618 names on the Church Memorial. Unfortunately, non of these four are on the Memorial. However, I am keeping a separate list of those men I 'come across' that are not on the Memorial, although they must have a connection with Aston. Certainly Robert and Walter Bird have the connection, so I will add them. The other two I will need to research. My plan will be at some point to produce a further list of those that I have found.

Hi there. Can I confirm this is George Price, died 1/7/16 RWR 1582? I have his mother as Jane Black (presumably he 2nd marriage name). Do you know who his father was?
We are looking to write a number of pieces about some of the men on the Memorial. If you have further details I could write something. The plan is to publish some of these on the Church's website when I do a 'launch' of the project with them we tell the stories of some of the men. Let me know.
Ann
Hi Ann
Starting point for you, this is the same George Price, his father was William Price born 1868 Georges mother was a Reeves and yes she re married in 1913. George had a brother also called William born in 1873. Thats the basics, I will chat to dad and see what he has - I do know he has quite a bit of family history, outside the on line information.
thanks Steve ( thanks Astoness for the headsup)

Back