• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Howell Alfred Thomas b 1893

Thanks Alberta. I think I saw "s" next to Frederick`s name and thought it meant "son". I presume it actually meant "single"?
  2. J

Thankyou. I had seen the 1939 entry and noticed Frederick Parsons. I think he is listed as their son but I`ve no idea who he is. I don`t think Georgina was a widow when she married Thomas/Alf
  3. J

I`m trying to find out more about my great-uncle Alfred Thomas Howell who was born probably in the Harborne area in 1893 and baptised in Upton Warren 13/7/1893. In the family he was known as "Alf" but in some records he seems to be recorded as Thomas Alfred. In 1911 he was living with his...
  4. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

Thanks very much - I had wondered if they were back-to-backs but they look a lot better than that
  5. J

325 Albert Road, Aston

could anyone give me more information about this address - where my grandparents lived during the WW1? I have tried googling it but it looks like that end of Albert Road no longer exists Thanks
  6. J

Bennett Selina (nee Knowles)

I`m struggling to find out what happened to Selina Bennett (Knowles) who was born about 1827 in Birmingham. She married John Bennett in 1848. In 1871 they are in Warstone Lane, Richmond Terrace. In 1881 John is in Birmingham Workhouse and described as a widower but I can`t find a death for...
  7. J

Hall (John) Great Barr

I`m hoping someone might be able to tell me more about my husband`s ancestor John Hall. He sounds a bit dodgy to me! All I know is that he was born approx 1789 NOT in Staffordshire. He married Emily Merrington 12/6/1820 in Westminster - he was about 31 but she was only about 15! As far as I...
  8. J

Paddington Street Aston

Thanks Please could anyone explain the house numbering system to me? In 1901 my grandfather was lodging with the Lucas family at "12ct 1Ho". My grandmother Jane Gaunt was a couple of census pages away with her family at "74" - but the house next door to the Gaunts is "16ct 4Ho"
  9. J

Paddington Street Aston

Before they married my grandparents lived near to each other in Paddington Street in 1901. From the description on the census I think this was an area of back-to-backs. Is that correct? I suspect they met at the local Quaker Friends Meeting House. I know they later attended the Meeting House in...
  10. J

John Padmore "Sweep Smelters" 14 Branston Street

My grandfather worked for this company as an assayer in the 1920s but I can find very little about them. I know his work involved refining precious metals from waste from the jewellery industry but would love to know more about the history of the company
  11. J

Crompton Road to Clifton Road

In the 1920s my grandmother was living at 36 Clifton Road, Aston and her father was lodging at Crompton Road, Aston. Her son, my Dad, always believed that his mother had had no contact with her father after he "left" the family 20 years before, but she actually registered his death in 1922...
  12. J

Albert Edward Fletcher

Brilliant! He certainly got about a bit! Do you know if Beatrice died in South Africa too? I remember being taken to visit an elderly `aunt` who had a lot of Oriental furniture - probably in the late 60s/early70s. I`m wondering if Beatrice came back to the UK I`ve just remembered that I`ve...
  13. J

Albert Edward Fletcher

Your`s absolutely right - my mistake! I think I`ve fallen foul of trying to look for too many people at once. No wonder I couldn`t find him afterwards. Many thanks for putting me straight Is there anymore information that might help me track down the marriage to "Beatrice"?
  14. J

Albert Edward Fletcher

I`m trying to find out more about my grandmother`s half-brother Albert Edward Fletcher (known as Ted) who was born in 1890 in Aston. In 1911 he is living with his parents Albert and Elizabeth Ann in Aston Manor and he spent the war in the 2nd Birmingham Battalion. My dad told me that Ted worked...
  15. J

Cecil Road electoral roll

thanks very much Janice. Yes you are right Dorothy did marry Reg Rose and my grandmother lived with them after my mum Joan left home to get married.
  16. J

thanks Janice, I didn`t know that. Shortly after the War the house was passed on to my parents so you might find them - Joan and Edward Howell
  17. J

thankyou Mike. Sometime between 1939 and 1947 she lived at 16 Southwold Avenue, Kings Norton. Is it possible to find out when she was there?
  18. J

Does anyone have access for the electoral roll for 99 Cecil Road between 1931 and 1939? My widowed grandmother Jane Hayden lived there with my mum and aunt, and I`m trying to find out if there were anymore adults living there
  19. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

Yes, their first daughter died from meningitis when she was only 2 and I think that devastated them both for a long time. Maybe that is another reason why he didn`t want to be away from home
  20. J

"Assayer" "Sweep and bullion"

On the 1911 census my grandfather (William Henry Lyles Hayden) is described as an assayer working in the "Sweep and Bullion" industry. I have previously been told that he was involved in extracting precious metals from waste and my mother remembered him working in a foundry. Have I got that...
Back