• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Howell Alfred Thomas b 1893

jane k

master brummie
I`m trying to find out more about my great-uncle Alfred Thomas Howell who was born probably in the Harborne area in 1893 and baptised in Upton Warren 13/7/1893. In the family he was known as "Alf" but in some records he seems to be recorded as Thomas Alfred. In 1911 he was living with his parents in Aston Manor and he joined the Worcestershire Regiment and was awarded a Military Medal.
Because of the variation in his name I`m not certain what he did after the war. He might have married Georgina Winifred Sorrell in 1926 - and he might have died in 1969
Any additional or alternative information would be much appreciated

1939 Tinkers farm road.Birmingham

Thomas a Howell b 17th Feb 1893 Plasterer
Winifed G Howell b 17th DEc 1901
Maurice J Howell born 12th Dec 1921

The 3 were still living at the same address in Electoral roll 1955.

They did marry in 1926 but possibly together for longer as Maurice mother listed , Sorrell, Alfred died in 1969
Georgina Winifred had died in 1962

Last edited:
just to add to albertas post...the address is 21 tinkers farm grove and also on the 39 eve of war register there was also a frederick d parson living with them..the house is still there click on view below..its the white house

lyn

Last edited:
Thankyou. I had seen the 1939 entry and noticed Frederick Parsons. I think he is listed as their son but I`ve no idea who he is. I don`t think Georgina was a widow when she married Thomas/Alf

Thankyou. I had seen the 1939 entry and noticed Frederick Parsons. I think he is listed as their son but I`ve no idea who he is. I don`t think Georgina was a widow when she married Thomas/Alf
jane the 39 does not state relation to head of house it only says if the people listed are married or single...frederick parsons could have been a lodger or friend but i would think that maurice j howell year of birth 1927 was their son

lyn

Sorry I misread the birth on 1939 as 1921 instead of 1927.

I think Frederick D Parsons was possibly a lodger he was born in West Derby, Lverpool mother Maloney possibly the child of Frederick Parsons-Elizabeth Maloney

Thanks Alberta. I think I saw "s" next to Frederick`s name and thought it meant "son". I presume it actually meant "single"?

Thanks Alberta. I think I saw "s" next to Frederick`s name and thought it meant "son". I presume it actually meant "single"?
that is correct jane.. on the 1939 register s means single and m means married..

Back