• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. izzy eckerslike

Birmingham market tokens

Here we have a series of market tokens from various traders in the Birmingham wholesale markets. They were posted on a forum called Worldofcoins (the link will take you to the thread where you can view comments etc). Permission is granted to post them here. The owner would like to hear from...
  2. izzy eckerslike

Birmingham water department token

Does anyone know anything about a token like this? 1 and a 1/2 pence and made of some kind of plastic, what would it be used for?
  3. izzy eckerslike

Barbara Florence Newey

I have discovered I had an Aunt, Miss Barbara Florence Newey who died on 28th November 2020. I have no idea how old she was and it's rather sad to think she lived just 15 miles away in Moseley and as she never married could have been lonely. Can anyone find out how old she was (possibly in...
  4. izzy eckerslike

Talking pictures tv now has the red button!

One of my favourite channels is Talking pictures TV, as from today on Freeview channel 82 they have the red button for a load films etc! I think only BBC currently have the red button. Providing your TV is connected to the internet the red button brings up loads of Talking pictures films etc...
  5. izzy eckerslike

Back in time for Birmingham

I couldn't spot if anyone had already posted re this but a new BBC show follows what life was like for a Birmingham Asian family from 1950's onwards BBC 2, June 20
  6. izzy eckerslike

Airship construction

An amazing photo of the construction of airship USS Macon. As part of the Goodyear-Zeppelin arrangement, the Luftshiffbau Zeppelin sent technical experts to Akron to train Goodyear employees in the design and construction of airships c.1930. Photo from Machinist museum.
  7. izzy eckerslike

Hybrid & electric cars

Have any of you gone all electric or are driving a hybrid? I've been driving a Prius for over 10 years, a 2nd hand Gen 2 and now a Gen 4 I had from new. It's a lot more powerful than the Gen 2 and also far more economical. A 1.8 engine boosted by an electric motor coupled to a seamless sun &...
  8. izzy eckerslike

Knocker up

I thought this was a bit unusual, it looks Victorian/Edwardian era based on the clothing. You usually see old pics of a man with a very long cane tapping on windows to wake people up for work. Mary Smith was paid sixpence a week to shoot dried peas at sleeping workers windows, presumably at...
  9. izzy eckerslike

Thomas smith, Saltley Mill

Thomas Smith made all kinds of Spanners from their works in Saltley
  10. izzy eckerslike

Hollick & Taylor recording studio

Does anyone remember Hollick & Taylor recording studio? 16, Grosvenor Road B,ham B20 3NP ? I have an old LP of the St Christopher Steel Band dated 1977 and wondered if any of the group are still around, their seven names are signed on the front cover. They appeared on New faces and then...
  11. izzy eckerslike

Poste Haste Greetings cards

Does anyone remember or have a photo of Poste Haste Greeting cards shop in Union Street ? I met my future wife there in 1979, she had been lead dancer at the Alexandra theatre, mostly pantomimes.
  12. izzy eckerslike

St.Georges Angling club

Seeing another thread about sports cups reminded me of one that's been handed down in our family, It was won by my Great Grandfather, A NEWEY 1887. I can't find where St.Georges Angling society was based but he was definitely a Brummie
  13. izzy eckerslike

Singer Sewing machines

Singer sewing machines must be spread all over the world, even today the treadle versions are being used in remote Asian or African villages with no electricity. I wonder what they would make of these 1949 instructions instructions for 'ladies'.
  14. izzy eckerslike

4 & 5 Loveday Street

I'm trying to find information on a tool dealer who had premises at 4 & 5 Loveday street around 1901, I don't know which end the numbers ran on the street but I can see from other posts that there was a maternity hospital and some houses. If anyone has access to photo's or details of various...
  15. izzy eckerslike

Pebble Mill Studios

Did any of you work there? Contrary to popular belief very little scenery was produced at Pebble Mill, it was nearly all contracted out, mostly to Eagle Road Studios in Redditch. I worked on the scenery there from 1980 -1998, hundreds of programmes inc Howards Way, Juliet Bravo, Dangerfield...
  16. izzy eckerslike

Antique gun shop Pershore road

Does anyone remember the antique gun shop on the Pershore road down the bottom end of Stirchley? I can't recognise the building it was in on Google Earth unless it was demolished, possibly where Church drive is now. I bought a flintlock pistol and several other old guns from there in the...
  17. izzy eckerslike

Withers tobacconist

Does anyone remember or used to work in Withers tobacconist? (photo of Snow hill entrance courtesy of Nat West) Working for the shopfitters I mentioned in another thread we also used to do Withers tobacconist shops in the 1960/70's, these were always small pokey little shops and working as...
  18. izzy eckerslike

Market Street

Has anyone got an old photo of Market street? it was very short and ran off Upper Dean St , it was the rear of premises fronting on to Jamaica Row. I tried a search but no luck so far. I used to visit a coin shop in 1961 which was up some rickety exterior stairs right in the middle of all the...
  19. izzy eckerslike

Oxlley Grove, Weoley Castle 1950's

Oxlley Grove, Weoley Castle 1950's, Anyone lived there? I can remember the names of some of the boys I played with, there was Nicholas Walton who lived next door at number 4, Nobby Brandon who lived across the road, he had a sister called Carol, there was Jimmy Taghart who lived at the top of...
  20. izzy eckerslike

Water meters

Our Water bill has come in at £511 for the year, there are just us two pensioners living here & I reckon a meter will be a big saving for us. Because the current bill is based on the now obsolete rateable value there is no way it can be reduced according to info on the net. So basically I am...
Back