• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. sospiri

Free Learning

This is not genealogical, but the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have put a huge number of their courses online for FREE, though they do, like here, invite donations. Most courses can be downloaded, so you do not need to be connected to the internet to do most of your studying, but in...
  2. sospiri

Sand Street, 1960

I don't think this one has been posted here before and I've no idea where I captured the photograph from. It's the now defunct Sand Street in 1960, which ran between Weaman Street and Whittall Street in the gunmaking area. Maurice
  3. sospiri

Fighting Cocks, 182 High Street, Deritend

Has anyone any info on this place, save what is in the trade directories, please? A relation had it in 1888 and in 1903 a Mrs Rhoda Beadles, but it seems to have disappeared by 1912. A picture would be lovely! :D Maurice :cool:
  4. sospiri

Perry Motor Co. Ltd.

I don't think that the Perry Company's motor manufacturing activities have featured on here before so here goes..... :) In September 1912 the Perry Company (famed for pen nibs and chain & cycle accesories) formed the Perry Motor Company Limited with a capital of 60,000 pounds. The brains...
  5. sospiri

LONGMORE Marriage Lookup -- Edgbaston please

Having mislaid my BMSGH Edgbaston Transcriptions, could someone give me full details of the following marriage please? 16 Sep 1832 Alexander LONGMORE to Eleanor SWAINSON Many thanks, Maurice :cool:
  6. sospiri

BCT Tramways Band

Can anyone throw any more light on the Tramways Band, including any photographs please? :rolleyes: According to "On The Buses: A Social History", kindly supplied to me by Motorman Mike, the Band was formed just prior to 1908. No further mention of it appears in this publication, but in 1958...
  7. sospiri

Christening Lookup 1812 please

From the IGI:- 17 August 1812 Alexander s/of Alexander & Hannah LONGMORE (nee PAGGETT) Is there any additional information on this record please, e.g. occupation or address? The parents married on 21 November 1808 at Edgbaston - a similar request for additional detail (unlikely!) if...
  8. sospiri

Lock keepers house Chester Street

I can't find a thread dedicated to locks or Chester Street, so I hope this is OK. Has anyone got, or even seen, a picture of the old Lock House at Aston Locks for which the address appears to be Chester Street, please? I don't know the area at all, though an ancestor was lock-keeper there for...
  9. sospiri

Thomas.Lewis

Although the undated postcard below is not even in the Birmingham area, it was photographed by a "Thos.Lewis, Stratford Road, Birmingham". A bit of Googling allowed me to establish that he was in business at Merton House, 200 Stratford Road. Can anyone add anything to that? As to the subject...
  10. sospiri

Humphreys. 16 Wheeleys Road, Edgbaston

Frederick William HUMPHREYS (Musical Director of the Theatre Royal for 40 years until 1900) and his wife Mary (formerly the singer and actress Marie LONGMORE) lived at Rosemount, 16 Wheeleys Road, Edgbaston for many years and are included on the 1881 & 1891 Censuses. However, I cannot find them...
  11. sospiri

Longmore

I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before! :rolleyes: I'm interested in the surname LONGMORE (& LONGMOOR) anywhere, but particularly in the Aston, Birmingham & Darlaston areas. My own direct line moved from Darlaston to Birmingham around 1800 and has been traced back to 1610 in...
  12. sospiri

Church of St Matthew & St Chad, Windmill Street, Smethwick

Hi List, Can anyone come up with a picture of this church - formerly St Matthew, North Harborne - old or new please? From other sources I gather that the burial ground is no longer there and apart from an 1850s plan on https://www.churchplansonline.org/ I've been unable to find out anything...
  13. sospiri

Jazz & Birmingham Pubs / Chapel Tavern, Great Charles Street

Casting your minds back to the late 1950s, can you remember Birmingham's version of London's Archer Street - the Saturday lunchtime jam sessions that used to take place at the Chapel Tavern in Great Charles Street? All the local musicians would gather for a beer, a blow, and a discussion about...
Back