• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Perry Motor Co. Ltd.

sospiri

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
I don't think that the Perry Company's motor manufacturing activities have featured on here before so here goes..... :)

In September 1912 the Perry Company (famed for pen nibs and chain & cycle accesories) formed the Perry Motor Company Limited with a capital of 60,000 pounds. The brains behind it was the 20 year old designer Cecil T. Bayliss.

The first model, produced in 1913, was a two-cylinder 8 hp light car. In the same year they acquired the factory at Tyseley, which eventually became Perry Chain Company and was swallowed up in the 1960s by the Manchester-based Renold Chain Company.

In both 1914 and 1915 the Company made a loss despite the introduction of a four-cylinder 11.9 hp model. Production ended in 1916 with less than 700 of each model being made. Spare parts were sold to R.H. Collier, who also acquired one or two other early makes such as Swift, Crouch, and Clyno. Beans acquired the the design rights of the 11.9 hp model and used it as a basis for their first cars.

I'm afraid the pictures aren't too clear as they were kindly photocopied from a book in their possession by the Institute for the Motor Industry. However, I wonder if any of you clever people out there can name any of the buildings in the pictures. :rolleyes:

Finally, there are, as far as I have been able to ascertain, just three cars still in existence - one in England, one in India, and one in New Zealand. I've no idea of the locations other than that the English one is NOT in the Montagu Motor Museum at Beaulieu! :(

I heard some years ago that one of these vehicles was originally in Peru, of all places - they are certainly spread far and wide.

Maurice :cool:

I remember Perrys, their factory was a short walk from were i lived. Len.

Last edited:
Hi Len,

At least eight members of my family worked for Perrys, including both of my parents, though only my Uncle Albert (who died on the job in 1964) actually worked for the chain side of the Company at Tyseley. All the rest worked at Lancaster Street, where my own father died on the job too. He was an export packer.

My mother, until she got married, was in charge of all the export paperwork. Several great aunts worked at Lancaster Street in the late 19th Century, grinding and slitting pen nibs, which certainly wouldn't have done their health much good - it was a filthy job.

Apparently an 8hp 1913 model of the Perry car was auctioned by Bonhams in March this year to an unnamed buyer for 12,650 pounds, but it had been modified to electric self start. Maybe it might start appearing at car rallies in the not too distant future! :)

Does anyone know whether that Bayliss was the Bayliss who joined with Mr Thomas and designed & assembled light cars for Excelsior Motor Cycles in Tyseley? Excelsiors produced the Bayliss-Thomas from 1922 to 1929 but very few after 1925. The engines were bought-in from Coventry-Simplex & others from Meadows. Tyseley & Sparkhill had several motor-bike and car makers (or coach-builders).
My dad worked for New Imps & Excelsiors, and in fact my first job was in Tyseley.

Ginger:

There's no mention of Excelsior in the Chapter entitled "The Perry Contribution" of the second volume of Renold's history entitled "Renold Limited 1956-1967", though there's plenty about Bayliss' exploits. When I can get at my scanner - it's piled high with books at the moment! - I'll post a picture of Cecil T. Bayliss just for the record.

Here's a couple more references for you:-

https://www.britishmm.co.uk/history.asp?id=699 - this has a couple of nice pictures of Perry cars that I hadn't seen before!

https://news.google.com/patents/about?id=udsBAAAAEBAJ - a list of Bayliss' patents

There are more details in www.wikipatents.com There's also a Wiki entrey for Excelsior, but it doesn't give Bayliss' initials.

Ginger:

Having dug a little deeper I would say categorically no. Take a look at this article:-

https://www.madeinbirmingham.org/excelsior.htm

Bayliss & Thomas formed the Excelsior Company in 1896, but Cecil Thomas Bayliss was not born until 1892 !!! :p

EDIT: Having said that, the Bayliss of "Bayliss & Thomas" was James W. Bayliss, Cecil's father. But I have yet to find anything that connects Cecil to Excelsior. According to Renold's history, Cecil & Archie Wiley had by 1926 sold the Perry Motor Co Ltd to Harper, and Bayliss, Wiley & Co. Ltd. had been merged with Perry Chain.

1874,bayliss,thomas,and co were part of the birmingham cycle industry
with premises in stoney stanton rd, coventry, when they entered the
car industry they could not use the name excelsior because there was
company in belgium with the same name. In 1921 they moved to kings rd
tysley the walker family (father reginald,and son eric) took over,and
after a couple of years dropped the original name of bayliss,thomas,and co.View attachment 43921

Back