• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. J

Paget Rd School Pype Hayes

Hi Pamela, I think you'll find it was Miss Warne not Miss Ward. Yes, she did have her shoes made for her she was also a great swimming coach. A few of us were invited to her house off Slade Rd on occasions. When did you leave? I left in the summer of '62.
  2. J

My heartthrob was Mr Watson, he was gorgeous. I remember writing him a letter when I moved up a year pouring my heart out to him! I cringe when I think of it now, never gave a thought to the consequences or the repercussions it could have caused.
  3. J

Erdington

Certainly not the Roebuck I remember either, but I'm sure it had a revamp at some stage so this could well be it in its newer form!
  4. J

Hi Pamela, I also played in the Netball team along with Kay Tuckey and Sandra Witts. I was also in the swimming team and went on to swim for Erdington and Birmingham. Miss Warne now there was a woman to be scared of but she was a great coach in swimming and sports but swimming mainly. Did you...
  5. J

Recycling, reclaiming and salvaging of yesteryear

Yes, I remember them well. We still had one in 1958/9 when I lived in Ward St, Newtown. I then moved to Bromford lane to a block of flats where we had a rubbish shoot! My sister lives in Somerset and her council issued food waste bins a couple of years ago, what an excellent idea. She has a...
  6. J

Hopkins family.

My mother was a Hopkins, she was born in Penn Wolverhampton. I know they lived in Slade rd Erdington when she was very young. Grandad Hopkins (Frederick) was a Blacksmith by trade and I know he worked at Lea Hall Collery and he also had something to do with the building of Hams Hall and the ones...
  7. J

Where is This Schools #9

Is it Lozells Girls school, I went there for a year but spent most on my time in the annexe down the road from the main school.
  8. J

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

I dont remember The Black Cat but I know where you mean its now The Elbow Room, if its still there.
  9. J

Pype Hayes Park

Re: Pype Hayes Park - Replacing a few photos Happy summer days, my aunt lived in Hansons Bridge Rd and my summers were spent over in PHP with my elder cousin and her friends. They used to play a trick whereby they'd pretend to push someone in the brook but grab hold of them at the last minute...
  10. J

Pype Hayes Hall Home

Is it still a childrens home?
  11. J

Where is This? 47

Is it Lichfield rd and Victoria rd?
  12. J

St George's Church Newtown

Me again, it was the corner of Upper Tower St and Great Hampton Row!!!!!!!!!:D I knew I'd get there in the end !!!!!!!!
  13. J

My apologies Postie on closer inspection of the thumb nail it looks like it is St Georges, good grief I dont remember it being that big! Amazing how ones brain plays tricks, I think the school was built on the other side of the church.
  14. J

Hi Postie, I went to St Georges J&I school and the main playground ran adjacent to the church I think what you have posted looks far too big, but hey I was only a kid at the time. It was at the top of Upper Tower St, and the corner of a road that ran parallel with Summer Lane, I lived in Ward St...
  15. J

Lad in the Lane/Old Green Man Erdington Football Team

Hello Frothy, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom in law. and how nice to hear you say that she was a good old stick!
  16. J

Mosquito's

Hi Catkin, I usually take garlic tablets for about a month before I go abroad, does the trick 99% of the time and there is no smell either, well not to humans. I remember the first time I went to visit my fiancee in Florida he took me for a romantic drive to Sanibel island to watch a fantastic...
  17. J

Lad in the Lane/Old Green Man Erdington Football Team

Hi David, I used to live in Cleeve House just up from the GreenMan/Lad in the Lane. My grandad Freddie Hopkins used to be the pot man for there and the Navi many many moons ago! Actually he laid the bowling green at the Lad, he must be turning over in his grave to see it now! My then husband...
  18. J

Hi y'all anyone on here who attended Paget between '59 and '62? Would love to hear from you if you did :D
  19. J

Gem Street School

I know its been some time since this post started but yes definately there was a Gem St School in fact there were 4 schools in all, one was indeed Bishop Ryders, I went there for a couple of years, then there was the school for the deaf and dumb one for the blind and last but not least the...
  20. J

X Ray treatment

Dead right about the clinics being torture houses, being a swimmer I frequently had verooka's on my feet. Oh God how I dreaded it I had to go to the foot clinic in town, think it was Gt charles st, whereby I went through the process of having it scraped out, week after week, no pain killers in...
Back