• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Crompton Place, Balsall Heath

Greetings, I have two birth certs for 1885 and 1887 for children born at Crompton Place, Balsall Heath. Can anyone give me an idea of where it might have been, please. I've looked at a map from 1913 and can't see the wood for the trees - that said, it might have already gone by 1913 as I know...
  2. M

Union Road, Birmingham - vague request

Greetings, I have a 1930 Death Cert for my Great Grandfather (who I have only just found thanks to DNA) and the location of death is given as 18 Union Road and wondered if anyone recognised this as anything other than a residential address. His home address was 2 Back 13 Helena Street. I ask...
  3. M

Where is this? Kings Norton Church

Greetings, I have recently found the father of my illegitimate grandfather, so I guess my great-grandfather. Matched by DNA it would appear my great-grandfather was Edwin Frederick Sage - he gifted my great-grandmother three illegitimate children. Anyway, I have all my family history on Ancestry...
  4. M

Cross Street - St Judes

Greetings you helpful lot. I'm trying to find out if there was a Cross Street somewhere in the Parish which was covered by St Judes which I believe was on Hill Street in the town centre. I am trying to plot family locations and I have an 1873 Baptism for St Jude, with the family address being...
  5. M

Factory Road - building name on death cert.

Greetings all, I have attached (I hope) a death cert for a lady called Hannah Wheeler. I can make out that she died in at Factory Road, but I can't make out the building name - can anyone help and tell me the relevance (if any) of the building. Thank you Jo
  6. M

Police Site Tally Ho! to change beyond recognition.

I have just been informed, and I don't know how cast in stone it is, or how far along the plans are, but there is some suggestion that the new West Midlands Chief Constable is to have all the tennis courts, football pitch, cricket pitch and bowling lawn tarmacked over to be made into parking...
  7. M

Aston Village - location or building?

Greetings, I'm looking at a bit of distant family history and have found a relative in the 1861 Census listed at 'Aston Village', in Aston Manor, Birmingham. She is a lady called Charlotte Busby, shown to be a servant at this location. The previous location on the census is Pump House. So I...
  8. M

Help to ID the location of a photo of Prince George Inn

Hello all, I have been passed a number of pictures from a family who have no known living relatives. Amongst them is this one - a street scene including the Prince George Inn. The family had links to Birmingham, certainly Handsworth, Sparkhill and Aston and I wondered anyone could say if it was...
  9. M

Cross Street, parish of St Philips, Birmingham.

Greetings, I have a death cert for a man I believe to be my 3rd Great Grandfather - Joseph BRITTLE, who died September 1859 at 3 Cross Street, parish of St Philips. I'm trying to establish if it is 'my' Joseph BRITTLE or just a man with the same. The profession appears consistent from census...
  10. M

The Oaklands, Hagley Road, Birmingham

Evening all, I wonder if anyone can throw any light on an address of The Oaklands, Hagley Road, Birmingham and tell me if it was a hospital of any sort or just a private residence - assuming anyone knows of course. I am doing my family history and have a relative from Leicester called Lucy...
  11. M

Stafford Street, St Mary's Ward

Greetings one and all - I've not been here for a while so I hope you are all well. Just a quick question that I didn't know whether to post in the Genealogy section! I am researching some ancestors called Brittle. They appear to have lived mainly in the Kings Norton/Moseley area of Birmingham...
  12. M

Wedding Photographs - Strange request/advice

Greetings - as you are a knowledgeable lot, I thought I would post my query here and see what your thoughts were. I want to obtain copies of old wedding photographs to use in connection with my business, which would be used on social media. I don't want anything much before 1930 but cannot...
  13. M

French Walls, Smethwick

Greetings, Please see attached a picture of my Great Grandfathers birth cert. I am interested if anyone can tell me anything more about the area of French Walls, Smethwick at around the time he was born in 1871. Thank you.
  14. M

Help - trying to find William/John Smith in my family history - it's a bit long!

Greetings, You have all been very helpful with my past requests, so I thought I would see if anybody can shed any light on my Great Grandfather William/John Smith as I am going around in circles and I really don't know if I'm chasing the right person. What I'd like an opinion on: is it...
  15. M

36/40 Dudley Street, Birmingham - 1891 Query

Greetings.... me again, My grandmother is listed in the 1891 Census returns as being one of 9 servants at 36/40 Dudley Sreet, Birmingham. The family that own the address at the time of the 1891 census returns are Richard and Alice Bradshaw and their sons/daughters. With the description of job...
  16. M

Bordesley Green Road

My fathers family lived at 47 Bordesley Green Road for many, many years. This picture was passed to me, I have no idea what year it was taken, but I thought it might be of interest to others. If you look closely - you can see an arrow pointing at one of the houses - that was the family home...
  17. M

Wenman Street and Edwardes Street, Balsall Heath

Greetings one and all... I hope you are all staying well in these strange times. I am aware that another Wenman Street thread exists and I have had a look at it before posting here. My mothers family lived in Mount Terrace and Wenman Street, before moving to Langstone Road in the late 1930s...
  18. M

S.F.Wheeler. Shoe Repair shop

Greetings, My first time here, so please forgive me if I have asked this question in the wrong thread. My father S F Wheeler had a shoe repair shop on Bordesley Green. The shop is no longer there and was demolished to make way for what is now Pikewater Road. I'm trying to put a book together...
Back