• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cross Street - St Judes

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings you helpful lot.

I'm trying to find out if there was a Cross Street somewhere in the Parish which was covered by St Judes which I believe was on Hill Street in the town centre.

I am trying to plot family locations and I have an 1873 Baptism for St Jude, with the family address being given as 'Cross Street'.

The only one I can find on Google Maps is some distance from St Jude - up past City Hospital.

I suppose there is a chance they travelled, but wondered if there was one more local which has since been lost with city centre development.

I have found St Judes on old maps, but can't seem to find a Cross Street anywhere close to it.

Thank you

It was a road that was lost when John Bright St was laid out, what was left became an extension of Severn St. Now Lower Severn St.

This from 1839 which I posted on another thread (ignore green underline)...

0 - Cross St.jpg

Thank you - great to see it.

I have an old map of the area, but I can't see Cross Street which is 'local' to the Church.

I am a Birmingham girl, but if the road has not existed for a while I don't quite know where to look on the map.
Fabulous - thank you so much!

1889 map showing position of Cross Street and St. Judes.

Attachments

• cross-st-st judes-hill-st.jpg
    cross-st-st judes-hill-st.jpg
    1,019.3 KB · Views: 9
Back