• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. M

Crompton Place, Balsall Heath

Fabulous - you've got good eyes - I looked along the road and could't find it, but then I don't think was looking at this version of an old map. Thank you!
  2. M

Thank you, I'll have a look at that old map again now I have an idea where it is.
  3. M

Greetings, I have two birth certs for 1885 and 1887 for children born at Crompton Place, Balsall Heath. Can anyone give me an idea of where it might have been, please. I've looked at a map from 1913 and can't see the wood for the trees - that said, it might have already gone by 1913 as I know...
  4. M

Union Road, Birmingham - vague request

Thank you - that is interesting - I never considered it was that side of town. He lived a lot of his life in Handsworth, so when I Googled it, I settled on Union Road in West Bromwich. I guess I discounted Union Road in Erdington as being too far away and I guess not on my radar. But taking a...
  5. M

Union Road, Birmingham - vague request

Greetings, I have a 1930 Death Cert for my Great Grandfather (who I have only just found thanks to DNA) and the location of death is given as 18 Union Road and wondered if anyone recognised this as anything other than a residential address. His home address was 2 Back 13 Helena Street. I ask...
  6. M

Where is this? Kings Norton Church

I'm sure there was lots of it about. As you say, who knew we'd be finding out so much? :)
  7. M

Yes, he was 49 and she was 22. My great-grandmother started working for him as his housekeeper when she was 16, and had her first child by him when she was 21. I would like to think it was consensual but even if it was I'm sure there was some coercian in there as well. Sad times - she did well...
  8. M

I've found him in other newspaper articles, seems my great-grandmother dodged a bullet in not marrying the father of her children. He is what would have been called a 'bounder'. His divorce papers from another lady mention him committing adultery with 4 women - one of whom was my...
  9. M

Oh my goodness, fabulous - thank you so much. I have just subscribed to the newspaper archive, but it didn't bring this hit back. Thank you again!
  10. M

Yes, but at £11 I'm a little loathe to purchase it as it's not to the lady who was my great-grandmother. But an option if all else fails.
  11. M

Greetings, I have recently found the father of my illegitimate grandfather, so I guess my great-grandfather. Matched by DNA it would appear my great-grandfather was Edwin Frederick Sage - he gifted my great-grandmother three illegitimate children. Anyway, I have all my family history on Ancestry...
  12. M

Police Site Tally Ho! to change beyond recognition.

I think that is exactly what he is doing. The place will be closed to members of the public, all the staff from the conference suite/banqueting centre and bar are losing their jobs.
  13. M

Police Site Tally Ho! to change beyond recognition.

So sad... a friend who is connected to some West Mids Police sporting clubs said the new Chief Constable has been told to save money and he doesn't care who he upsets in doing so.
  14. M

Cross Street - St Judes

Fabulous - I think the thing that confused me was looking at a map from about 1937, but yours proves it went way before then. Thank you
  15. M

Cross Street - St Judes

Fabulous - thank you so much!
  16. M

Cross Street - St Judes

Thank you - great to see it. I have an old map of the area, but I can't see Cross Street which is 'local' to the Church. I am a Birmingham girl, but if the road has not existed for a while I don't quite know where to look on the map.
  17. M

Cross Street - St Judes

Greetings you helpful lot. I'm trying to find out if there was a Cross Street somewhere in the Parish which was covered by St Judes which I believe was on Hill Street in the town centre. I am trying to plot family locations and I have an 1873 Baptism for St Jude, with the family address being...
  18. M

Factory Road - building name on death cert.

Thanks all - sorry I've not responded sooner, but I didn't get any notifications you'd all replied, and I just realised I hadn't looked at the site for a while.
  19. M

Yes, that's where her daughter Caroline was living, it's the address where Hannah died that I'm after. Thank you.
  20. M

Greetings all, I have attached (I hope) a death cert for a lady called Hannah Wheeler. I can make out that she died in at Factory Road, but I can't make out the building name - can anyone help and tell me the relevance (if any) of the building. Thank you Jo
Back