• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Search results

1. L

Mares Green Independent Chapel West Bromwich

Thank You Astonian and Mikejee, that certainly has answered my question. I looked at the original site on googlemaps and see the big new shopping mall sitting right on top of the old Messenger Lane. Still a few streets remaining like Reform Street and Teggles Lane.Beginning to think that back...
  2. L

Mares Green Independent Chapel West Bromwich

I am hoping someone can help me please with this enquiry. Six children of my Harris ancestors were all baptized between 1796 and 1810 at the Mares Green Independent Chapel,located in Messenger Lane, West Bromwich. The family lived in ‘West Bromwich’ (first four baptisms) and ‘Handsworth’...
  3. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Hello Diana, Glad you are about to make progress too! Perhaps we could exchange some info on the Mitchell jewellers - I'll send you a PM. Lee
  4. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Wendy, thanks for this idea. I was not aware they have an exhibition, so will contact them about it
  5. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thanks Mike for this suggestion, I think some information has been received from the Assay Office already, I will check with others. We have quite a lot of info on Robert's associations with the jewelry trade, he did some nice silver-smith work which is still around, in private collections I...
  6. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thanks leslam, this is wonderful news! I have sprung out of bed and made a bee-line for the computer first thing. This looks like the breakthrough we have been waiting for! I am about to order the certificate, having checked the GRO ref which looks fine. It has been a real impasse until...
  7. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thank you very much leslam, and for the photo too. Really appreciated! I will keep Dennis's name handy and call in to see him when we get there. Hope this reaches you by midday. Robert's details restated for convenience are: DOD 12May 1838 and buried 15 May 1838, aged 57. DOB and place of...
  8. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

I would really appreciate that! We will be in the UK visiting family late this year and I'm going to be doing a lot of walking around the ancestor's areas, should be great! Lee
  9. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thanks Brian, I have now emailed Jacqui (- as well as Birm Library)
  10. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thanks William, I'll email both the Church and archives as suggested. From what I understand (- but not entirely sure) most Churches have handed their records over to local government departments (libraries?) to be scanned / fiched. The trouble I have is typically not knowing which library would...
  11. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Thanks Pomgolian, William and Key Hill Brian. I guess next step is to contact St Pauls to enquire about burials there in the Churchyard. Looking at the St Pauls Church website there is no mention of 'family history' links, so do you think there will be records of burials available online? It...
  12. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Hi Pomgolian, Yes - have searched extensively to see if this Elizabeth had perhaps moved in with either Gostelow or Mitchell families after Robert's death, but no luck at all finding anyone that fits, in London or elsewhere. We are fairly certain that he married Eliz Gostelow but not 100%...
  13. L

Robert Mitchell Burial

Hello to all, My first post here . . . I have visited the UK several times, and my old Dad was born in Birmingham then emigrated to Australia when he was a young lad. I cannot get enough of the history of Birmingham - what a wonderful place! My ancestors are the Harris and Mitchell gold- and...
Back