• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Camden Street

The caretakers during the sixties and seventies were the 'Austin family'
Hi Bob,
The Austin's children were Margaret & Robert. I was in the same class as Margaret at Brookfield Junior School and I was pal's with Robert when I was a teenager, he had a red BSA Rocket, one of our mates was killed when he lost control of his bike on a hump back bridge.
Vinny

Many one time cyclists will remember the capes worn in very wet weather. A sad tale I remember (the early 1950's I believe) was of a young boy - in his early teens - setting off from his home in Hall Green on his bicyle and cape on a very wet and windy day. Within one hundered yards from home the cape blew upwards covering his face. Sadly he collided with the rear of a car - the ones then had those large metal bumpers - and his fall broke his neck. A sad loss of a very young life.

Hi Bob,
The Austin's children were Margaret & Robert. I was in the same class as Margaret at Brookfield Junior School and I was pal's with Robert when I was a teenager, he had a red BSA Rocket, one of our mates was killed when he lost control of his bike on a hump back bridge.
Vinny
Are you "Vinny" who had a Vincent? Went to live in Saltley? Were you a plasterer?
"Bobby Flash" is still around. He now has a Rocket Gold-Star plus other bikes. Still see him from time to time.

Are you "Vinny" who had a Vincent? Went to live in Saltley? Were you a plasterer?
"Bobby Flash" is still around. He now has a Rocket Gold-Star plus other bikes. Still see him from time to time.
Hi Bob, You are right on all three and I still ride and have a few bikes. If you see Bob ask him about the pigsty!
Vinny

Hi Bob, You are right on all three and I still ride and have a few bikes. If you see Bob ask him about the pigsty!
Vinny
Well it's only been about fifty years since I last saw you. I rode pillion on the back of your Vincent carrying a bucket and your plastering tools. I was your labourer for a while.
Remember the Bamboo café on Spring Hill?
Joe Parton was the lad who died in the motorcycle accident.
Remember "Chubby" and his girlfriend "Carol"? They are still around, living in Kidderminster I think.
Bobby "Flash" lives in Ludlow. I don't have a contact number for him but I know someone who might.
If you still live local to Brum, come over to Hoar Park, Coleshill to Nuneaton road on a Wednesday morning. Several hundred bikes on a good day. Average age of riders is about 87 so that means we would be the youngest there.
I currently have a 1964 BSA A50, 1971 Tiger 650, 2004 Tiger 955 and a 2013 BMW R1200R.
It would be good to meet up with you.

Well it's only been about fifty years since I last saw you. I rode pillion on the back of your Vincent carrying a bucket and your plastering tools. I was your labourer for a while.
Remember the Bamboo café on Spring Hill?
Joe Parton was the lad who died in the motorcycle accident.
Remember "Chubby" and his girlfriend "Carol"? They are still around, living in Kidderminster I think.
Bobby "Flash" lives in Ludlow. I don't have a contact number for him but I know someone who might.
If you still live local to Brum, come over to Hoar Park, Coleshill to Nuneaton road on a Wednesday morning. Several hundred bikes on a good day. Average age of riders is about 87 so that means we would be the youngest there.
I currently have a 1964 BSA A50, 1971 Tiger 650, 2004 Tiger 955 and a 2013 BMW R1200R.
It would be good to meet up with you.

I do remember you and the Bamboo, but I couldn't remember the name until you reminded me also Cubby and Carol, always pillion on his beautiful Rocket Gold Star.
I will go to Hoar Park this Wednesday, but by car, my bikes MOT has run out.
Which bike will you be on?

I do remember you and the Bamboo, but I couldn't remember the name until you reminded me also Cubby and Carol, always pillion on his beautiful Rocket Gold Star.
I will go to Hoar Park this Wednesday, but by car, my bikes MOT has run out.
Which bike will you be on?
The weather is not looking too good for Wednesday. If it's not pouring down, we usually go. We get there about 10 oclock.
I will be on my 1971 blue and white TRIBSA.

Hi, please I researching at 48 Camden Street, Brassfounders and Engineers founded 1924 from the firms of Henry Ellaway, George Hopkins & Co. and Harrison Ltd. Please anyone has any photos or information about the factory.
Thanks

Viv

In answer to your original question, as has been stated these houses were the offices for W.Sacote & Sons Ltd who's postal address was 87 Camden Street B1 3DE. We did work for them on many jobs around the city, including St Philips, The Digbeth Bus Depot, The Crown in Digbeth. They worked on many other prestigious and High status jobs around the city for at least a hundred and fifty years. They went bankrupt in 2007 with hardly any notice. Perhaps it was because we were no longer working for them?

That particular site also has another thing going for it. Part of it seems to have been inhabited by the same firm for about 155 years. On looking at googlr, In noted the word Sapcote on the doors of (presumably) no 89. William Sapcote, builder, previously, in 1852 a carpenter at 152 Camden St, moved into no 48 Camden St (which in the 1880s was renumbered 89) . By 1888. as Sapcote & Sons, builders they are in 89 &91, and presumably have remained till today.They are listed today as no 87, but i would guess that this incorporates nos 89 & 91
Mike

The workforce. from William Sapcote & Sons, emploved to build Jenkins Street bridge, Small Heath, c. 1905. Incidentally, the firm celebrated 140 years of business in 1993.

Birmingham at work by Douglas, Alton. Publication date 1993.

IMG_0515.jpeg

Back