• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Conybere Street Highgate

LindyB65

master brummie
Could you tell me if there was any butchers shops in conybere street highgate. From 1887 to 1894 please if possible

Thank you
Linda

Last edited by a moderator:
Lindy,
There seem to have been only two butcher's shops in Conybere St in the period you are interested in. They were almost opposite each other, numbered 160 (north side) and 165 (south side), a few doors down from Upper Highgate Street.
In 1883 William Barrett was a butcher at No 160, but 165 was occupied by John Fletcher Cummings, pawnbroker.
In 1890, there is no trade entry for No. 160, and Thomas Barratt was a butcher at 165 Conybere Street, .
By 1892, the British & Colonial Meat was at 160, and Mrs Clara Barrett [note spelling], was a butcher at No. 165. Three years later in 1895, William Lewis was trading as a butcher at 160, and Clara was still at 165.
In 1897 and in 1900, William Lewis still at 160, and Clara Barrett was still at 165.
Jumping to 1908, and William Lewis was still a butcher at 160, but the number 165 does not appear, presumably having lapsed to residential again.
Peter

My Grandparents had a block of three shops in Conybere Street during the war and up to about 1966 or so, they had a grocers and a tobaconists, the third shop on the corner lost the top floor during the war and the bottom half became the store room. I used to go there but I do not recall a butchers shop at that time, I was quite young though. Chris.

i lived in conybere st in the 1950s. the only shops i remember were the old cafe on the corner of hick st later became a bookies ..hensons gen store on corner upper highgate st .and a shop run by polish couple opposite alms houses ...there was a butchers shop in upper highgate st by rear entrance to the girls school and also one in leopold st...the rest were in gooch street ..hope this helps ....

George and Elsie Henson were my Grand Parents, there was also a woman who worked for them called Alice (can't remember her surname), do you have any photos of Conybere Street from the 50's etc? Regards, Chris.

I remember alice ..she was a tiny little woman ...my sister used to walk mr hensons dogs.i have seen lots of pics of conybere st on this site but i dont know how to transfer them .search conybere st .see if it shows any ...if you want to send me your email address privately ill send you what ive got ..i know how to do that lol ....

I came across this photo of conybere st, i will check
if i have any more.

Regards Stars

Attachments

• img803 conybere st highgate dated 1959.jpg
    img803 conybere st highgate dated 1959.jpg
    721.1 KB · Views: 71
Lyn

I'm not sure if these have been posted before, I've looked and I can't find them.

Phil

Attachments

• Highgate Conybere St The Highgate.jpg
    Highgate Conybere St The Highgate.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Balsall Heath Conybere St.jpg
    Balsall Heath Conybere St.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Highgate Conybere St - Upper Highgate St.jpg
    Highgate Conybere St - Upper Highgate St.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Highgate Conybere St Charles Hofton & Sons 1960.JPG
    Highgate Conybere St Charles Hofton & Sons 1960.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Highgate Conybere St Hick St Fred Hudsons Cafe.jpg
    Highgate Conybere St Hick St Fred Hudsons Cafe.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 394
Thats the first pic ive seen of the highgate tavern .when we were kids we used to go in the side door to warm ourselves on the radiator .is it still there ???

On the foto of hudsons cafe .(which later became billy newbolds bookie)..just past the van on the right the 3 story building was where i lived .im sure the man stood there was either peter or hubert hudson ...

Sandra,

I don't know about the radiator, but The Highgate was still there last time I was down that way, We used to play the darts team there in our league. It's now called The Merry Maid and is now situated in Upper Conybere St as the road is now cut in half by the Highgate Middleway. What was wrong with the Highgate as a name that it had to be changed?

we lived opposite mr veasey in conybere st and next door to what was hudsons bakery/cafe..the bowes lived next to him to the left and foyles ladder maker to the right ..

we lived opposite mr veasey in conybere st and next door to what was hudsons bakery/cafe..the bowes lived next to him to the left and foyles ladder maker to the right ..
Well Sandra, Fred and Else Foyle were my grandparents and I lived at Cromwell Joinery Works in the 50's. I made hundreds of ladders at Coneybere St and remember Mr Vesey. HE used to regularly work for local TV and be a stand in for Coronation St and other TV shows. How about Mrs Timmins at the sweet shop. DO you remember the 2 red and white vans Fred bought. I used to play in Cromwell passage at the back. ELse my nan used to spend so much time at the church down the road. I was born in 1949 and I bet we chatted many a day. I recall the shop on the corner as a bookie. STeve Southgate.

i lived in conybere st in the 1950s. the only shops i remember were the old cafe on the corner of hick st later became a bookies ..hensons gen store on corner upper highgate st .and a shop run by polish couple opposite alms houses ...there was a butchers shop in upper highgate st by rear entrance to the girls school and also one in leopold st...the rest were in gooch street ..hope this helps ....
My mom and dad ran the green grocery shop opposite the Alms Houses. Dad was a Second World War vet who escaped from Poland to join the French Army, fought for the French and then for the British. He was demobilized to Scotland where he married a Scottish nurse named Jean. So Jean and Stan as he was called Ran the shop from 1954 to 1964 when the council closed it for future housing.

My mom and dad ran the green grocery shop opposite the Alms Houses. Dad was a Second World War vet who escaped from Poland to join the French Army, fought for the French and then for the British. He was demobilized to Scotland where he married a Scottish nurse named Jean. So Jean and Stan as he was called Ran the shop from 1954 to 1964 when the council closed it for future housing.
BHK, welcome to the Forum.............a great place with wonderful folks. Enjoy!

I attend St Albans Church in Conybere Street and they have just reprinted two articles originally written by Jim Whitehouse [1901-1990] in the parish magazine in 1984 entitled,, "A Few Memories of Life And Conditions In S. Alban’s Parish Seventy–Five Years Ago". Just brilliant but too long to copy to forum but these phots may be of interest: Conebere Street 1915 Emily Street
1709575428513.png 1709575580481.png

Coneybere Street 1907
1709574178617.png

Really pleased that phots were enjoyed. Just a few more to complete post - all from St Albans Parish Magazine.

1709834344019.png
Vaughton Street in 1956, just before demolition

1709834456239.png
Centre: St Alban’s Church; top: St Martin’s Flats in the block between Vaughton St, Leopold St, Dymoke St and Angelina St

1709834575244.png
St Alban’s School on the corner of Leopold Street and Dymoke Street. Photo taken by John Pomphrett on Dymoke Street on Easter Monday 27 March 1967

1709834713663.png
Conybere Street (1958)

Last edited:
Back