• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Electric Cinema Station Street

PaulaArtist

proper brummie kid
Picture1.jpg
Tatler, Station Street Birmingham Foyer - Cash Desk on the right and the stairs to the circle on the left

The Tatler News Theatre Birmingham - The Stalls

The Local Centenary Celebrations on Film, Presented to The Lord Mayor - The films presented by Joseph Cohen were of the Coronation of King George VI and of the Royal visit by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. The City's Charter Centenary Celebrations and Pageant.
tatler station st xmas sign.jpgTHE JACEY STATION ST.jpgXmas signs on Tatler News & The Jacey
More info you can find about the history History of the family business in news cinemas in Brum including Station St & High St Dale End

1677896659843.png
The history of The Electric Cinema Station St
1677896808040.png
High St Dale End
FreePassBham_hwcpcn.jpg

BirminghamNewsFoyer_ixeywg.jpg
Bham_News-Theatre01_ryrz8a.jpg

High St inside the cinema
00006-BhamNews_dedped.jpg

High St Dale End
Bham_News-Theatre02_ticuxt.jpg

The First News Theatre in the Provinces - The first news and cartoon cinema in the provinces was The News Theatre in High Street, Birmingham.
City_High_St_New_Theatre_ne7ubo.jpg

The Birmingham News Theatre - The first news and cartoon cinema in the provinces was The News Theatre in High Street, Birmingham.
Bham_News-Theatre02_ticuxt.jpg

The First News Theatre in the Provinces - The first news and cartoon cinema in the provinces was The News Theatre in High Street, Birmingham.

Find out more from the link below

Jacey Cinemas Birmingham

please see link a below for more on the cinema

View attachment 178328
Tatler, Station Street Birmingham Foyer - Cash Desk on the right and the stairs to the circle on the left

The Tatler News Theatre Birmingham - The Stalls

The Local Centenary Celebrations on Film, Presented to The Lord Mayor - The films presented by Joseph Cohen were of the Coronation of King George VI and of the Royal visit by the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester. The City's Charter Centenary Celebrations and Pageant.
View attachment 178329View attachment 178330Xmas signs on Tatler News & The Jacey
More info you can find about the history History of the family business in news cinemas in Brum including Station St & High St Dale End
i loved going to the tatler:grinning:

If anyone wants to sign the petition re Station Street...

thanks sparks i have of course signed the petition however as to if it does any good time will tell...i think its been clear for some time that the plan is to get rid of station street..we also have the concern of the station pub...my feelings are if the electric is not doing enough business to run as a cinema then turn it into somethings else...the foundations are already in place all it takes is a little imagination which quite frankly i doubt that anyone in bcc or private developers has...what it needs is for people with placards walking up and down station street...we need to see the people of birmingham standing up to save our heritage..maybe that will happen in the future...i shall watch this one closely now but actions do speak louder than words

lyn

Last edited:
The Birmingham Dispatch which continues to be an excellent read says that the 88 year lease of the Electric has expired. Much of Station Street is planned for demolition to be replaced by a 50 storey block of flats. :(

Last edited:
thanks sparks i have of course signed the petition however as to if it does any good time will tell...i think its been clear for some time that the plan is to get rid of station street..we also have the concern of the station pub...my feelings are if the electric is not doing enough business to run as a cinema then turn it into somethings else...the foundations are already in place all it takes is a little imagination which quite frankly i doubt that anyone in bcc or private developers has...what it needs is for people with placards walking up and down station street...we need to see the people of birmingham standing up to save our heritage..maybe that will happen in the future...i shall watch this one closely now but actions do speak louder than words

lyn
You probably be right sadly but anything is worth a try.

It seems everything is up for demolishing in the city centre again, did they not learn anything from the great buildings that they pulled down in the past? It will be such a pity to see this cinema close and what for, yet more flats! :rolleyes:

1709392231416.png
1709392330658.png

It's a while since I've been in there. I think it's been closed for long periods of time between owners several times in my life and probably quite a few before that. Apparently it's been mostly rebuilt a few times and, obviously, they've entirely changed the furniture since I was last there. I think the last thing I saw in there was Joan of Arc at the end of the 90s and I don't recognise that interior.

Oh no :pensive: that's really bad news!
The Electric Cinema are having the same issue that many pubs and shops are having a lack of customers.

We are in very difficult times but its a fact of life if you are running any business you need customers. The staff need wages the rent needs to be paid, but with out customers the key will be turned for last time.

Nick S Phillips

The Electric Cinema are having the same issue that many pubs and shops are having a lack of customers.

We are in very difficult times but its a fact of life if you are running any business you need customers. The staff need wages the rent needs to be paid, but with out customers the key will be turned for last time.

Nick S Phillips
yes there is that nick but we must also remember that when cinemas first started there was not the technology that we have today...we can only put bums on seats if there is no other way of watching films..today we can watch them from our homes with the likes of netflix etc...same with the loss of pubs...back in the day the pub or outdoor was the only place to buy a drink but now we can buy drink in most shops...very sad but its a fact...

lyn

fingers crossed derek...the entrance is there the facade is there so if must be save what they can on the inside and turn it into apartments...leave the name THE ELECTRIC as it is and where is says welcome to the electric replace that naming the building CINEMA HOUSE simple :)but life usually is through my eyes :D

i wonder if it is also the intention to demolish the old rep theatre to the left of the electric

lyn

Last edited:
fingers crossed derek...the entrance is there the facade is there so if must be save what they can on the inside and turn it into apartments...leave the name THE ELECTRIC as it is and where is says welcome to the electric replace that naming the building CINEMA HOUSE simple :)but life usually is through my eyes :D

i wonder if it is also the intention to demolish the old rep theatre to the left of the electric

lyn
I would guess that sadly, they would look to demolish the row, which includes the old rep Lyn. A couple of my friends often popped into that cinema and enjoyed the comfortable seating. That area of the city, along with others has been allowed to decline for some years and haven't had the money put into them, that other areas have.

I would guess that sadly, they would look to demolish the row, which includes the old rep Lyn. A couple of my friends often popped into that cinema and enjoyed the comfortable seating. That area of the city, along with others has been allowed to decline for some years and haven't had the money put into them, that other areas have.
oh i just give up john..have you seen how lovely the old rep is and indeed the buildings to the left of it... :mad:

lyn

lyn
Such a shame, there is SO much character and charm in those buildings let alone history!

lyn
Fingers crossed Lyn. We don't know the developer's plans, so the fate of the Old Rep, the Crown and the Electric are not known. The Electric petition is gathering a lot of interest. So perhaps public attention will draw media concern. Derek

Did you see the message from the person who started the petition...

The London based owners of The Electric and most of old Station Street also own the freeholds on The Old Rep, The Victoria and The Alexandra Theatre. Will they be next to be under threat of demolition if this goes through?

We believe they've held the land, at least that The Electric sits on, since before Sir Richard Granville Hylton Howard-Vyse signed the lease pictured on Wikipedia in 1936. The land appears to have been passed down through their family for generations. But we believe The Electric and Station Street should be for the people of Birmingham who've spend generations creating the history that gives the buildings meaning; and for those Brummies yet to step through the doors who will go on to incredible things after being inspired.

Who knows how many other buildings they own around the city. To paraphrase the Manic Street Preachers: If you tolerate this what iconic Birmingham institutions will be next?

Thank you for your support so far.

A very, very overwhelmed Darren

As Mike has said @ #26 it does seem the Old Rep may escape the fate of most of Station Street. Flatpack (an arts organisation) have commented upon the closure of The Electric "despite healthy attendances" and has referred to an attempt to have it listed, along with the petition. Link Below:

https://flatpackfestival.org.uk/news/the-electric-is-closing

I had heard some time ago that The Crown was going to be re-opened, but as the months have elapsed nothing has happened there, I wonder whether this was the reason? That is in a prominent position for New Street Station, although I would think the new Wetherspoons, which is just above The Crown will have taken much of the business the pub would have otherwise be aiming for. If the Old Rep will still stand, perhaps there is still hope for at least The Electric?

Last edited:
Back