• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Pugh family

Hi all, late to this thread and new to this site. My dad Philip Pugh b. 1935 has asked me to find information regarding his childhood, pics etc of locton street school, I saw this thread and asked him if he remembered his grandfathers name which was Thomas Pugh, we could have a match but he thought that Thomas was born in Wales and moved to Birmingham, where my grandfather Harold Pugh was born around 1900, Harold Married Queenie Pugh (from Portsmouth - Navy time war meeting) they had 6 Children, Harold, Sylvia, Kenneth, Philip, Peter and David. I wonder if there is anyone out there that could link any of this.

I'm also late to this thread, but was so glad I found it as it gave me the proof I needed to link Hannah Pugh to John Mullett, who was my great-great-great-grandfather. Hannah Pugh (nee mullett) was the sister of my great-great grandmother, Eliza Mullett, who was married to John Oakley, and whose son, Joseph Oakley, was a visitor (along with John Mullett) staying with Hannah Pugh and her family on the 1861 Census.

So finding this thread gave me the concrete proof I needed that Hannah Pugh was indeed the sister of Eliza Mullett and therefore my great-great aunt, and also gave me the connection to the Oakley family I needed, as Joseph Oakley was missing off the 1861 Census for the Oakley family.

So thank you so much!

If anyone has any more info on the Mullett family prior to 1841, it would be very much appreciated!

Thanks guys. :)

I dont use this site very often, but was interested to see all the Pugh's, I have a Sidney Kitchner Pugh b 3 Feb 1916 Aston, in my tree
but dont know anything about him, only that he married my aunt Iris O'Neill, he passed over 27 Feb 1981 Weston super Mare.
Just wanted to post this in case anyone knows anything, it would make interesting reading.

sidney kitchner pughs parents could be frederick pugh and jane c harris. they married in aston in 1915.

on the electoral rolls frederick and jane caroline pugh were living 24 washwood heath rd. in 1920/1922.
then in 1925/1930/1935/1939 living 62 herrick road, washwood heath.

Hi Shera,
Thanks for the info, you were so quick in replying, do you have your own library at home ha! you wouldnt happen to know
if there were any siblings?
Where do you find your info? i wish i could have things at hand to find or even web address's to find things it would be great
i only know basics
regards
Peggygirl

HI there there was a mr kitchener at our school ickneild street hockley an old guy been there for years i think is first name was fred; ; i cannot be sure but as kitchener is not very common ;it may be worth checking out with the old school records for at least the fiftys whilst he was still there to the close of the day
there is a picture of him on the ladywood sight forum with joey wiseman and a mr urch the deputy head which was taken around the 60s standing by a coach trip for the lads
standing next to the coach as i have said i am not sure of his first name always got the cane from him for being late ;
and i lived at 5/92 lichfield rd aston next to denise grandad best wishes astonian

hi sherea
there was also a pugh family living in the early years living in pugh rd just off lichfield rd just also of victoria rd
pugh rd was the next rd to the salvation army on vicoria d and he kid i think it was a john ; and he had ginr hair i mt up ith in in the seventys around 71 ;
so cross check ref; 2 back of 92 wa abut 250 yards from the corner of victoria rd ' w was number 5; i remember him and is antics coming out of the widdows arms we used to laugh at him when is wife you to dragg him out of there ; astonian;;

Hi Caliente
The only info I have about a member of a Mullett family in my tree is a Hannah Mullet who married Samuel Pugh in 1835 in Tipton, in 1841 they lived in Sedgley.
Samuel 30 as a shoemaker born 1811 in Shropshire, Hannah 28 was born in Dudley, they had 3 children, Ann 6, Thomas 3 and Elizabeth 1.
In 1851, Samuel 50 still a shoemaker, Hannah 38 a shoe binder.
1861 census John Mullett a widower aged 83 us visiting the Pughs. He was a nail maker born in Gornal, Staffs.
In 1861 they lived in Wood Street, Bilston and Samuel is now a master shoe maker, it looks as though there are 2 more children, John 8 and Jane 5 both born in Bilston.
In 1871 Samuel is now a master shoe maker, John now 18 is a blacksmith journeyman and there is a Ann Garbett 6 a granddaughter born in Bilston
6th October 1972 John Pugh married Elizabeth Ann Evans at St. Lawrence, Darlaston (Johns fathers name was Samuel).
Hope this information is of help and matches up with anything you have. Good luck with your searches.

Hi Astonian
Nag nag nag, can you remember the name of the book with the photo of the court in, there a couple about but are around £15 each a bit much to buy just in case the photo I want is in it.
Hope you are keeping well and I am sorry to keep on.
Byee Denise

Hi Shera,
Thanks for the info, you were so quick in replying, do you have your own library at home ha! you wouldnt happen to know
if there were any siblings?
Where do you find your info? i wish i could have things at hand to find or even web address's to find things it would be great
i only know basics
regards
Peggygirl

hello peggy, the info was from the website - midlands historical data. i cant be sure that the parents i gave you are correct as the names are so common. (pugh and harris). i thought maybe if one of the addresses rang a bell it could confirm if it was your family. for the same reason i cannot really find siblings. all the best, shera

hi denise;
i cannot opologise enough to you about this saga of the missing book ; beleive me i have not forgotten about trying to find this book for you
i am not making any excuses but i have been blighted by a series of problems with in my family circle and with my own life being attaced and left for dead ; lastyear
andi am still trying to recover along with a death of a family member yet again we are attending one corpus christies in stechford andthen to south yardley cem;
for a cremation; still thats life aint it
but rest assuered i will never for get your yest to find thid book i should have dealt with it there and then on that day and emediate rought it to your attention on the forum i think it said on the cover of the book the the history of the courts pre war years of birmingham -or brum 1930;s
but i am not one hundred percent it was from waterstones ; but alot of there shops have closed down
denise ; darling; i promise you i will hunt down that book for you whator how long it takes; thats all i can say ;
so please hang in on there ; best wishes astonian ; alan

Hi Astonian
I am sorry to have nagged you I didn't realise what you have been going through, please don't worry about it I will do some searching myself, I feel really awful keeing on at you.
Take care of yourself and thank you Denise xx

I dont use this site very often, but was interested to see all the Pugh's, I have a Sidney Kitchner Pugh b 3 Feb 1916 Aston, in my tree
but dont know anything about him, only that he married my aunt Iris O'Neill, he passed over 27 Feb 1981 Weston super Mare.
Just wanted to post this in case anyone knows anything, it would make interesting reading.
Hi, My name is Janet and Sid is my father we lost touch when he moved to Weston. He had two more daughter with my mother Ivy Winifred Pugh eldest was Vivienne Pauline who lives in Dundee Scotland and the youngest Sandra who unfortunately passed away.
I know he had two or three daughters with Iris and I think they could still be im the Weston area. Hope this helps

Back