• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Paradise development 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lumpammer, on my page it's bottom right where it says contact us etc. on a black stripe.
rosie.

I just press 'Page Up'/'Page Down' buttons on my keyboard. Which allows a jump to the top or bottom even when you are in the middle ...:)

Last edited:
Some tiled walls below Centenary Way.

General overview of the demolition site

The theatre above the former Woktastic is in the process of being pulled down.

Some tiled walls below Centenary Way.

General overview of the demolition site

The theatre above the former Woktastic is in the process of being pulled down.

Tremendous pictures ell, I take it that the dome in the bottom of the second picture is the hall of memory. Howevercan anyone put up a map of what it used to look like as I seem to have forgotten the 1950/60 layout
Bob

Yes it's the Hall of Memory. Access is cut off while Centenary Square gets redeveloped.

There is currently a view from the top deck of buses on Broad Street towards BM & AG, thanks in part to the demolition of Chamberlain House.

Yes it's the Hall of Memory. Access is cut off while Centenary Square gets redeveloped.

There is currently a view from the top deck of buses on Broad Street towards BM & AG, thanks in part to the demolition of Chamberlain House.

Ell
Thanks, I am completely lost now with what is what and where is where. I have stayed at the Copthorne and remember the area with the walk through passage and the pub and then down the steps past the fountain, and the last time I was up there, I had that funny bus diversion which I commented on, but what is the point of all this? Not only do they demolish old buildings, they now seem to be dealing with recent erections, I realise it is partly to do with the tram going up Broad Street, is Broad Street going to be trams only
Bob

Last edited:
The Copthorne Hotel is still there, but it will eventually go / be replaced. The '80s buildings were poorly designed and built. And yes part of the site will be taken up by the Midland Metro extension to Broad Street.

Centenary Way has been open again to the public since last autumn.

The Copthorne Hotel is still there, but it will eventually go / be replaced. The '80s buildings were poorly designed and built. And yes part of the site will be taken up by the Midland Metro extension to Broad Street.

Centenary Way has been open again to the public since last autumn.

Ell
Thanks
Bob

Nothing much left now, as construction for Two Chamberlain Square may start soon. After the crane goes up!

I only saw the base of this one.

One Chamberlain Square looked quiet, although heard that BAM will take it over!

BAM have taken over One Chamberlain Square. Early days yet, so they haven't really added anything to the building yet!

The view of BM & AG and the Town Hall is getting clearer by the day as the demolition comes to an end!

BAM Construction started work on Two Chamberlain Square last month and expect to restart the work on One Chamberlain Square soon.

The whole development of Paradise Birmingham will be up to 10 buildings with offices, shops, bars, restaurants and a four star hotel. As planning permission for the third building, One Centenary Way, was given earlier this month we can expect work to be continuing for many more years. No mention of residential at this stage.

No mention of residential at this stage.

I don't think there will ever be residential on this site.

Even the residential buildings that were planned for the Arena Central site nearby has now been changed to office space.

There will be building work on this Paradise site for many years to come, the current completion date for the last building is the middle of 2026.

Here are the plans for the site. The two buildings in red (1 and 2 Chamberlain Square) are currently under construction.

The three buildings in green are the next to be built (phase 2) between 2018 and 2023.

The buildings in yellow are phase 3, to be built between 2023 and 2026.

Paradise Plans.PNG

I don't think there will ever be residential on this site.

Even the residential buildings that were planned for the Arena Central site nearby has now been changed to office space.

There will be building work on this Paradise site for many years to come, the current completion date for the last building is the middle of 2026.

Here are the plans for the site. The two buildings in red (1 and 2 Chamberlain Square) are currently under construction.

The three buildings in green are the next to be built (phase 2) between 2018 and 2023.

The buildings in yellow are phase 3, to be built between 2023 and 2026.

View attachment 124140
Thank you, you have just put it in perspective for me.
Bob

Crane going up for 2 Chamberlain Square. Still a view of BM & AG and the Town Hall for now.

New view opened up to Centenary Square from Paradise Street. Library of Birmingham, Hall of Memory and Baskerville House.

New view opened up to Centenary Square from Paradise Street. Library of Birmingham, Hall of Memory and Baskerville House.

This view of the new library makes me think the Madin library wasn't so bad! I wish it had been clad with stone as originally intended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back