• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

I have uninstalled Trusteer. Too many side issues it seems. It did not appear to be working on Firefox. However I did check all the sensitive sites I use and noticed that they were protected by either their systems or mine. Opera appears to have advantages over my other browsers.
By the way, should anyone else want to be rid of Trusteer don't bother with their feedback. I tried and to prove I was not a robot it kept asking for boxes showing road, signs etc. to be clicked. After seven attempts I gave up!!!

I use an 8Gb memory stick plugged into the back of my router as a network drive. It is very useful for moving files between my computers and iPad etc. This morning I could not access it from my laptop because I had switched off SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing as in #712. Linux and iOS can access the network drive but Win 10 cannot so I have had to switch it back on in the laptop ... :)

Last edited:
Ah! the vagaries of computers: they are useful most of the time but can be a real pain - in more places than one :eek: from time to time.
I was using my laptop (Sony VAIO) for Skype purposes on Sunday. Due to very strong sunlight I placed it in a different place to that usually used. The power was provided using a Belkin four ganged socket.
When moving the laptop to its usual storage table (a movable one on wheels) I unfortunately disconnected the main PC rather than the laptop plug. I have made this error a couple of times before - senior moments - but no issues were forthcoming.
However on this occasion the PC would not boot up: an 'inaccessible boot device' was the error given. There were quite a few options given on screen to repair the issue which I diligently followed - most options were tried more than once without sucess. I contacted M/soft but honestly whilst they gave some help none was anything different to what I had tried or believed I should eventually have to do.
So I decided to re-install W8.1 using the disc which came with the PC. ( I chose a PC which had nothing installed which allowed me to install what I wanted without bloatware or trial offers) The PC saved my files but as my laptop has them - which serves as a backup - I was not too concerned. I let the PC settle down for a day with W8.1 and the decided to install the latest W10 upgrade, but losing the personal files and programmes I had installed. Losing the programmes was no issue as I only had about ten of them. Incidentally this upgrade download was free as I had taken the free choice when W10 was initially released. As anyone who has trodden this path will know it takes a few hours work to get your pc back into the custom you had made.
One thing becomes clear, with a new clean installation of W10, is that it has some differences to the previous version even if all the available updates were applied.
I believe the issue was a result of W10 updates.

If you right click on the Window start icon and then choose run and enter winver you should see which version of Windows 10 you have.
The latest is Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) which is the 'Creators'. :)

Recently Windows Defender was troublesome, it kept asking for me to scan. I finally realized that W10 was not going to improve the way I would like - every update loads more unwanted apps (some can be removed others not so) coupled with the complete re-installation I had to. a month ago, do due to Microsoft updates made me take the Linux plunge I have considered for some while.
I can dual booted the two systems so can choose W10 or Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya when opening up the pc each day.
Linux is different in many ways, even if it looks like Windows at times. I only have one niggle and that is the necessity to provide passwords when logging in (as does W10) but also on programme installations and alterations to the various items in the menu.
Hopefully most programme installation and menu changes have been done now so the issue will be less of a nuisance. ;)
For the record I did look at a couple of You Tube items showing the way to download and install Linux Mint. As the techy guys here will know there are many variations of Linux but Ichose one of the most popular and user friendly versions.
This post is written using the Linux Mint and Opera browser. Firefox is the default browser for Linux Mint but is used as a stand-by by me.

Hi Maurice,
Linux has no drivers for my Epson Printer/Scanner but I can flick into Windows for printing. Chrome synced my bookmarks and layout from Win 10 so all the internet sites show as normal. Photo editing, media and office work run perfectly. I use a data partition so that Win10 and Mint can see the same files. It is not for everyone though but it looks pretty on my desktop.
Phil
posted using Linux ... :)

Here is my go with Linux Mint (it's in another thread). I did not like Firefox so I installed Chrome. I set it to not need a password to start but it does need one for installing packages. The reason why I installed was to test a problem with my computer.
index.php

Last edited:
I can't post photos because my page asks for the URL reference and I cannot find any mention of URL in the properties. I use Windows 10 and use Adobe Photoshop to resize my photos.

Don't click the image symbol but select 'Upload a file' in the bottom right corner (next to 'Post Reply')

My desktop computer upgraded to the very latest Windows 10 today ..
Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.19).
Very smooth update took about an hour, and everything looks normal, all apps running, and as promised the Edge browser runs as fast as Chrome now.

Hi Eric,
It will eventually come as a Windows update. I used the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant to put it in my desktop computer but my laptop is still running Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.674). I have not really had a good look at it but it is supposed to have improvements.

oldMohawk, do we have to apply for this upgrade or will it come automatically ?? Eric

I will come via Windows Updates eventually, but Microsoft tend to release it bit by bit to Windows users (usually starting with newer PCs and working their way back to older PCs).

This update is called the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and it is a complete replacement of Windows so the file is rather large and it can take over an hour to download and install.

You can check for updates in Windows 10 by going to the Settings window then selecting "Update and Security" then pressing the "Check for Updates" button.

Note that this Fall Creators Update may NOT be offered to you straight away if your PC does not meet the criteria for an early adopter.

You can "force" an update by going to the Microsoft software download page on the web and look for "Windows 10 Fall Creators Update" (however Microsoft may remove the link now and again if they want to control how many people are installing it, they don't want everyone to install it in one go and would rather spread it out over a few weeks or even months).

I am spending an increasing amount of time reading that "__.com is not responding" and to "recover web page" Any tips? Nb I am very lazy with leaving emails on file and have a lot of photographs stored. Is my lap top just full up?

I've installed it in my desktop computer and laptop using the 'Windows 10 Update Assistant from Microsoft'.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
It took about an hour and half for each device but depends how busy the Microsoft servers are. I usually choose times when most of the USA is asleep ... :)
You can carry on using your computer while it downloads.
I previously had Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413) Creators Update
I now have Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.674) Fall Creators Update.
The update process is much smoother than it used to be and everything which worked before the update still works.
I've used it for a week and the main difference I've noticed is a much improved Edge browser which is now as fast as Chrome and can now display favourites (bookmarks) very similar to Chrome's display.
So if anyone likes to use Edge then it is worth updating, if not then wait until Microsoft updates you.

I am spending an increasing amount of time reading that "__.com is not responding" and to "recover web page" Any tips? Nb I am very lazy with leaving emails on file and have a lot of photographs stored. Is my lap top just full up?
Which browser do you use ?

Devonjim, a computer is similar to a car, regular maintenance is required. Adequate disc space is vital, I prefer over 50%, discs are defragged, virus checking done regular, get rid of history.

I am afraid you DONT have the Fall Creators Update which is build 1709 - 16299.19 (which is the release I am now on).
I DO have the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update but in my post#731 typed 1703 instead of 1709 ... sorry for confusing you.
Microsoft issued an update KB4041676 (OS Build 15063.674) to W10 Fall CU into my devices which altered the build number but I noticed today that they have withdrawn it and they have also removed the update from my update history.
This is my version today
W10Version.JPG

Last edited:
With regard to slow performance do you get the same when you use Chrome ?
The internet could be slow because of your location.
Have you got Edge set to 'clear browsing data' when you close it ... it is in 'Settings' you can choose what to clear.
Edge definitely runs better with the W10 Fall CU but it is a big update download although the download speed depends mostly on Microsoft's servers.
BFA is now working perfectly with Edge.

I think visually there is very little change and most are 'under the bonnet' changes. They have worked on Ransomware Protection, Exploit Guard, and Other Security Improvements. They have greatly improved the Edge browser which now works very well for me although my favourite is still Chrome. They appear to have closed the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing security problem which was mentioned earlier in the thread. There are changes to OneDrive which I use to move pics and videos from my phone and iPad into Windows computers, and finally my FSX Flight Sim still works ...

oldMohawk, my FSX still functions and my files are all intact. I suppose as it was such a long update I was expecting to see some changes. Never use Edge so would not notice any differences there, prefer IE. Eric

oldMohawk, my FSX still functions and my files are all intact. I suppose as it was such a long update I was expecting to see some changes.

The download as a complete replacement of Windows.

However the visual side of Windows (the desktop that we all see) is only one small part of Windows.

Most of what goes on in Windows is internal (under the covers) so as users we never see it.

Windows has to constantly add new function to support new technologies (think what has been added over the last few years - touch screens, larger memory, larger hard disks, NFC, USB3, new audio and video formats, smartphones, cloud computing, HTML5, and so on and so on).

Also new security needs to be built in as new and dangerous threats and viruses (like ransonware) are being created.

Support for all these new technologies has to be added to Windows even though many of us don't use many of them.

So the user interface may not change but what goes on under the covers does.

just a quickie really folks..had trouble with my newish lappy for 2 days..wont got into detail as i dont understand it but it froze on updates and i couldnt get it off...anyhow a friend contacted microsoft via his pc gave them my tel number and we arranged for them to phone me from usa at 10.30 this morning...bang on 10.30 the call back came so i passed the phone onto my son who followed their instructions..they even phoned us back later in the day to make sure my lappy was up and running again which it is:)...so many thanks to microsoft..excellent customer service

Last night a Windows update KB4051963 was waiting to be installed so I let it in and after some time the lock screen appeared. I entered my PIN No and found I had no desktop screen and no icons just an unresponsive black screen. I forced a restart by holding down the power button and restarted, entered my PIN, but same unresponsive black screen and no task bar.
Eventually I decided to try the Ctrl-Alt-Del move and got into Task Manager where I found the program which puts the desktop screen and file manager on was not running. Using Task Manager I forced the program to run and got my laptop back in use.

Post 743 demonstrates one of the reasons I have stopped using Windows 10 on my desktop. I still have it on my Sony laptop which I only use now and again. Continual, long winded updates - usually installing apps that I have no need for and heavens knows what else. Despite assurances of privacy I find that I need to check to see what might have changed in my settings after the update. In the past I had one update, that M/soft inadvertently sent out to very many people, which caused serious issues requiring a fresh install. I understand where M/soft is coming from - they want to make money from those who wish to have all the bells and whistles to enable use of the expensive peripherals they want. My interests, regarding computers, are strictly limited.
The Linux operating system I use is pretty hassle free. No need or updating of anti-virus programmes, simple updates which take very few minutes rather than some of the long ones encountered with Windows 10. I would ditch W10 on my laptop and revert to W8.1 but how long would that last? Microsoft would, most likely download W10 and pester me to upgrade! :eek:

Last edited:
Black screens can be caused by a failing CMOS battery, if your computer clock doesn't keep good time that's probably where to look.

I worked in the computer industry all my life (now retired) but do feel Microsoft have made a big mistake with this continual update of Windows 10 when they are basically updating the whole product each time.

I think they are trying to "copy" the situation on mobile phones where iOS and Android are often a complete updates to the operating system.

However Windows is MUCH larger than iOS or Android and is probably far more complex so does not suit this continuous updating of the whole product (though it is probably easier for Microsoft to test and ship the whole product now and again rather than test and ship hundreds of individual Windows updates).

I help an elderly neighbour out with their computer (she knows nothing about PCs and just uses it for email and a bit of web browsing).

The Windows 7 to Windows 10 update happened a year or so back, and just a week or so back she got the Creators Update.

Since then the PC has been "playing up" so I went round there to try to fix it.

But it was almost impossible to do anything because the hard disk was spinning at 90% to 100% all the time (it did for the 2 hours I was there).

I checked Task Manager and there was no program using lots of CPU. I tried a few suggestions from the internet, closed down a few programs etc but nothing would stop the hard disk spinning at 90% or more.

Lots of people on the internet report similar problems but all the things I tried made no difference.

I am going back there tomorrow to have another go as I gather from her the PC is still sluggish and to be honest I am not sure what to do.

It is a HP PC so I would have thought HP would be aware of problems but nothing specific on their web site and what is on their site I have tried.

Do Microsoft realise how much "pain" they have caused!

Back