• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Smith st..hockley

courtyard in smith st 1960.. back of nos 37 to 40

Attachments

• smith st hockley 1960 courtyard.jpg
    smith st hockley 1960 courtyard.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
hi folks if anyone is still interested in the old smith st i am happy to post some new photos..

lyn

That would be nice Lyn I have relatives from there and my dad was registered from Smith St when he
got married.

regards Stars

ok stars do you have any numbers where they lived..

lyn
Hi Lyn
Yes I got them mixed up it was Mom from 5/38 Smith St and Dad was 62 Unit st.
it would be great if these were on any photos, fingers crossed.

take care Stars

stars take a look at post 31..its of your moms courtyard..i forgot to put the numbers so ive just edited my post.

lyn

you are lucky stars..this one is of numbers 37 to 40 and there is your moms entry...

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 001.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 001.JPG
    525.8 KB · Views: 39
dated 1961 says nos 25 to 26

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 004.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 004.JPG
    319.4 KB · Views: 36
dated 1958 showing what used to be the malt shovel pub at no 103...it was no longer in use when this photo was taken..

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 005.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 005.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 33
last one and this one was a great surprise to me..well st running accross smith st to the left...just to the right of what could be a hand cart is my grandparents little shop in well st that they ran in the early 1930s...if you look closely at the right of the pic half way up you will see what looks like a black and white cross...this would be the frontage of the woodman pub corner of well st and barr st...woodman building still there but turned into offices and flatlets..

Attachments

• SMITH ST HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    SMITH ST HOCKLEY 009.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Lyn

Thanks a lot that's great news. Who knows that could well be some relations in the photo.
thanks again. By the way I still have that disc for you.

Lyn

Thanks a lot that's great news. Who knows that could well be some relations in the photo.
thanks again. By the way I still have that disc for you.

it could indeed stars....forgot about the disc will email you...

lyn

More great photo's Lyn and excellent information. My father's grandmother was born in Well Street the McKnight family lived in the street for 40 years from 1836.

thanks wendy...i remember you saying you had a connection with well st...think my grans shop was at no 21 or 22 but i would have to check that..here she is standing outside the shop...oops that didnt work will try again later..

lyn

Last edited:
Thank you for displaying the above pictures, they bring back a lot of memories. If the pic's showed the next two houses would have showed where I lived at no 35.The shop on the corner was Joey Grimes. When we lived at no35 the building were just brick the rendering must have been done after we left around 1957/8. The gap in Hockley street was caused by the bombing, I remember the night it was blasted. The shop before the gap was a fish and chip shop run by a Greek. The pub was The Queens Head.

hello bill and welcome to the forum..glad you like the photos of smith st its nice to have a member who lived in the street...thanks also for your memories and the info...enjoy the forum...here is the photo i meant to post of my nan kate harrington outside her little shop in well st..seem to having problems with this photo will try and sort it out

lyn

Is this the one you mean Lyn?

kate_harrington_outside_the_little_shop_she_ran_well_st_1921.jpg

thanks mike thats the one...dont know why i cant post it..i even changed the title and tried again...never mind its on here now..

cheers mike..

Great photos :)

My great grandfather David Gardner, was a publican at the Malt Shovel, 103 Smith Street and my grandfather William Parsons lived at 205 Well Street.

dated 1958 showing what used to be the malt shovel pub at no 103...it was no longer in use when this photo was taken..

Don't know how I missed this, fascinating to think this is where my family were in 1881. That little girl looks very much like me in the 1960's lol

hi scarlet fascinating to see where our ancestors once walked...smith street is still there but of course nothing left now of the old buildings...think there maybe one or two photos of well st on the forum...

lyn

hi scarlet fascinating to see where our ancestors once walked...smith street is still there but of course nothing left now of the old buildings...think there maybe one or two photos of well st on the forum...

lyn

I love finding the photos of where relatives lived, I have found the photos of Well Street too, thanks

Hello, sorry to bother you all. I was wondering if anybody has a picture of number 1 smith street or could tell me anything about it. I just found out my grandfather was born there in 1914 and were trying to trace their steps. Im wondering if it was their home or a hotel/b&b or pub. Any light anybody can shed on this would be appreciated.
Thank you

Hello, sorry to bother you all. I was wondering if anybody has a picture of number 1 smith street or could tell me anything about it. I just found out my grandfather was born there in 1914 and were trying to trace their steps. Im wondering if it was their home or a hotel/b&b or pub. Any light anybody can shed on this would be appreciated.
Thank you

i have asked mikejee to either send me or post on here a map showing where no 1 was as it may help to know what end of the street it was...we can then look back at the photos on this thread as we maybe able to work out if no 1 is showing in any of them

lyn

no worries we should soon sort it out ronan just give us a bit of time...smith street is a very old street..most likely cut in the 1830s of course there is no trace of any of the original houses now but the street still exists...i used to live just round the corner

lyn

Not on unett street by any chance? My grandfathers aunt lived there in the 1901 census and maybe 1911 but that census is on ancestry which im not on at the min.
Thanks again Lyn.

Back