• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Skyline

Scary stuff!!

It makes my legs feel wobbly just watching it, I don't know how people can cope with working on heights.

Glad you like them Ricco.

Back to normal now (meaning somewhere between late 2012 and '13 they had to go back up and take them down!).

You can see the skyline from Oaklands Recreation Ground in South Yardley

Gas Holders (possibly Saltley or Nechells)

The Skyline in Brum is to change again as two building in Brum in January are due for demolition they are (in no order ) the Central Library (opposite the Town Hall) the other is the former ATV Studios in Bridge St, my own personal view is that I am a fan of neither, I was a very infrequent visitor to the studios and always got lost inside the warren of corridors, it was the sort of place were I always felt I should be throwing down bread crumbs so that I could find my way back (Pebble Mill was a doddle in comparison),

I did spend many hours in the Library But I cannot say as I liked it, all I need now to get some good shots of both buildings as the both crumble and fall to the ground, no hurry as I understand that the studios will take about nine? month to demolish, with irony both building can be photographed from the new library in Broad St, now where did I put that telephoto lens,

Today up the Likey Hills a bit hazey

Attachments

• 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0007.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0007.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0009.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0009.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0010.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0010.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 21
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0018.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0018.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0021.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0021.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 18
​Few more

Attachments

• 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0024.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0024.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0027.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0027.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 16th June 2015 Tuesday 0028.jpg
    16th June 2015 Tuesday 0028.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 12
Travel-Lodge, Jurys Inn, New Library and Telephone Tower from upper floor of Hampton by Hilton Hotel in Broad Street. Dave
P1020252.jpg

Premier Inn and Rotunda. Some letters in red near the base (right) of the Rotunda but I can't make out what they are. Dave. Thanks DaveM, I like your skyline photos. Dave.
P1020254.jpg

Looks almost unreal in the sense of looking like one of those composite postcards of separate unconnected buildings.

Also it's been so long since this view was possible it will take people time to get used to it. Even whilst Central Library was being built the old library building would still have been standing to the right of the photo. So you wouldn't have had, what's now effectively, the panoramic view of today. Viv.

A view from the Secret Garden at the Library of Birmingham from last Friday. Gives you more of a context.

I watched the Andrew Marr Show this morning and, because the Tory Party Conference has started, the studio was set in Birmingham. I could make out Café Rouge and also a restaurant called Miller and Carter outside on the left, together with a bridge and a canal in the middle. Lots of flats on the right. I thought at first it was Brindley Place but Miller and Carter only seems to be in the Mailbox area. I don't know that area so well. Dave.

It is the area to the left of Gas Street Basin. The BBC Birmingham studios inside The Mailbox. With a view of The Cube and the start of the Worcester & Birmingham Canal.

2009 photo - so some of the restaurants have changed in the past 7 years

Alternate view of the Salvage Turn Bridge from Granville Street. (from June 2016)

Birmingham Skyline. (1)
Early c1960s - hopefully someone can date the pictures to a exact year.
The photos presumably were taken from the top a crane.

#1 Towards Rackhams & Lewis's
IMG0001.jpg

#2 Dale End to the top left.
IMG0002.jpg

#3 Digbeth in the centre left and the Market Hall centre right.
IMG0003.jpg

In the first picture it looks to me like there's a lot of people standing on the roof of Lewis's and also on the pavement underneath and in Corporation Street - were they waiting to see some event/someone famous pass by do you think?

I seem to recall there being pedal cars and a 'road system' up on Lewis's roof - maybe that's what you can see?

Yes, I understand that Lewis's roof was open to the public but I think it's looks like people standing at the edge and looking down and if you look at the awnings on the pavement below, there appears to be a lot of people standing under there too.

The Queen and Prince Phillip visited Birmingham City Centre on 24th May 1963. Visit included opening the Queensway and looking round the Bull Ring Market. I'm fairly sure that they came and departed via Snow Hill station so they could have travelled via Corporation Street and Bull Street. Would that date tie in with the photos in #115?

Back