• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Newspapers : From Birmingham Post 150 years ago

American Preacher states that the cost of using the Atlantic Cable encourages brevity , and comments that it is a shame that writers do not follow a similar path. Strangely he says nothing about how good it would be if preachers did the same

Attachments

• advantages of atlantic cable.jpg
    advantages of atlantic cable.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
Another gas explosion caused by someone searching for a gas leak with a lighted candle

Attachments

• gas explosion as he searched for leak with lit candle.jpg
    gas explosion as he searched for leak with lit candle.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 18
You read this often in Victorian newspaper reports, funny you would have thought that by this time , people would not go looking for gas leaks with a naked candle.Paul

Another gas explosion caused by someone searching for a gas leak with a lighted candle
Hi All,
A tragic incident but what interests me most of all is that the hospital gave such a full account to the newspaper of the mens' injuries. Today it would be simply 1 man slightly injured, another seriously injured and a third man critically injured.
Old Boy

Daft as this might seem, I remember when I was a boy seeing the man fitting my parents new gas stove using a candle to check the joints.

Increase in pauperism in Birmingham (first part of report, which is rather long).
Another explosion at Kynock's percussion cap manufactory.
Opening of new Weslyan Chapel in Icknield St West.

increase_of_pauperism_in_birmingham_part.jpg
explosion_at_peprcussion_cap_manufactory_.jpg
opening_of_new_weslyan_chapel_2C_icknield_st_west.jpg

Last republican blackbird of Mondaye shot.

Attachments

• last repuplican blackbird shot.jpg
    last repuplican blackbird shot.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 17
The owner of the notorious Sultan Divan deceived by his wife. This is just a small part of a very long report at the end of which John Bryan was found guilty

Attachments

• Sultan divan robbery .part.jpg
    Sultan divan robbery .part.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 11
Wonder what Mr Scott wanted with all this wrought iron . It is not clear if it was for the Stork Hotel or merely that he was staying there. There was a Mr W.G.B.Scott , the proprietor of the Queens hotel at this time, who was also a visitor, and at some time chairman of the board of the Queens Hospital, but can find no association of him with the Stork

Attachments

• 1000 sets wrought iron work and 1000 wrought iron cylinders.jpg
    1000 sets wrought iron work and 1000 wrought iron cylinders.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 7
Been away and therefore a bit behind.
Explosion at Proof House
It would be OK for unmarried women to be given the franchise, but not married women, as the latter are under a disability
Shortened version of report of murder in Thorpe St
Position of the Birmingham gun trade

explosion_at_Proof_house.jpg
Franchise_only_for_unmarrieed_women.jpg
murder_in_thorpe_st_part.jpg
position_of_birmingham_gun_trade.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the Thorp St. story Mike. One of my ancestors Thomas Pressdee was running the Lord Nelson Pub at this time... I presume he must have known this man, I hope he had been to a different pub on this night though!!!
rosie.

Rosie
Had a look at later reports (which had more detail) and the pub is not named, though, aa you say, might well have been the Lord Nelson. In December the accused was convicted of manslaughter and given 12 months , which, to me, seems quite short for such an offence at that time

Opening of two libraries in the city and the laying of a foundation stone for another, all on the same day. Nowadays it is far more likely to be the closure of two libraries on the same day

Attachments

• opening of three libraries on same day.jpg
    opening of three libraries on same day.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 11
Though the cabs were horse-drawn, there was a mechanism on them to measure the length of the journey.
Aston streets to get gas lighting.

Attachments

• horse cabs with measured mileage.jpg
    horse cabs with measured mileage.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 7
  • aston streets to get gas lighting.jpg
    aston streets to get gas lighting.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 7
Some children can be annoying, but even so !
Consecration of St Marys, Acocks Green

Attachments

• Child with lion.jpg
    Child with lion.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 14
  • Consecration of St Marys Acocks Green.jpg
    Consecration of St Marys Acocks Green.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 14
Regarding the two libraries opened at Gosta Green and Deritend, we've just learned that they will be closing Sutton Library. Amazing to hear when they've just spent a huge amount of money removing the asbestos which they found. I wonder what will happen to all the maps and reference books?

Cheeky thief. He wouldn't get away with that being even considered today
Inauguration of Erdington public hall

Attachments

• cheeky thief.jpg
    cheeky thief.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Inauguration of erdington public hall.jpg
    Inauguration of erdington public hall.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 9
According to Victor Price in "Birmingham Cinemas" the Palace was the old Erdington Public Hall. The cinema opened in 1912

!
Consecration of St Marys, Acocks Green
St Mary's was my local church in 1940's so have been looking up some history. My parents were married there in 1939 and I was christened there in Dec 1940, on the 10th of that month it was bombed, could have been an omen?. Windows by Burne Jones were blown out services were then held in various buildings around the "village"including in the Warwick cinema. The church was planned originally to have had a tower and a spire but this never happened. Vicarage and it's gardens were sold in 1974 for houses to be built, I remember garden parties in the vicarage garden in mid 1940's.

Mike ,
Can i just divert on the closing of libarys did aston cross go, and what about the listed springhil
Libary is that still being kept alive or not it stuck in the middle of a cross road
Of springhill and summer hill
I hope no/one minds me asking ,sorry if i have imposed on your thread
Best wishes Alan,,Astonian,,,,

Back