• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Brookvale Park & Witton Lakes

Hi Smudger,
I didn't live near the park, at least not that one, but one nan lived at Salford Bridge and one near Witton Lakes. We would walk down to Witton Lakes and then nag to go to the paddling stream at Brookvale. Then moan all the way home! Dad lived in Bridge Road, off Copeley Hill - about 10 minutes walk away from Brookvale. Born in 1913, he was a very strong swimmer, so I expect he learned to swim in the baths there. Did they swim in the main pool too, like at Keeper's in Sutton Park?

Hi Smudger,
I didn't live near the park, at least not that one, but one nan lived at Salford Bridge and one near Witton Lakes. We would walk down to Witton Lakes and then nag to go to the paddling stream at Brookvale. Then moan all the way home! Dad lived in Bridge Road, off Copeley Hill - about 10 minutes walk away from Brookvale. Born in 1913, he was a very strong swimmer, so I expect he learned to swim in the baths there. Did they swim in the main pool too, like at Keeper's in Sutton Park?
I can`t swim, but i know one lad Dougie Caufield who would swim to the island & back. Rumour had it, that a sailor drowned in the lake, & on a fine summers evening, when the water was like glass, you could catch a glimpse of sailors tunic. I`ve actually walked across the lake when it was frozen, & luckily i was very skinny otherwise i would have fallen through & joined that sailor on a fine summers evening! Don`t we do stupid things when we`re kids. Someone dared me to walk through the tunnel at Brookvale park end, just to see if it came out at Witton Lakes. I managed about 20 yards when panic took over & i legged it back.

I lived in Hillside Rd from '62 t0 '87 and regularly walked my dog(s) round the pool . they had speed boats on for a time, cannot remember exactly when, but there were complaints about the noise and damage to the banks so they were stopped. Eric

many thanks two for the photos of the baths at brookvale park..we learn something every day

cheers

lyn

Re: Brookvale Park - Replacing a few Pictures (14)

#42 Brookvale Park - Taken from Bandstand end - George Road to the right - Baths above figures on right.

#42 Brookvale - 1917.jpg

#43 Brookvale Park - Looking towards Marsh Hill end - George road on right - child appears to be same child used in picture #42

#43 brookvale.jpg

Re: Brookvale Park - Replacing a few Pictures (15)

#44 - Brookvale Park - Boating Pool and Bandstand - 1930 - Baths on left hand side of picture - George Rd behind.
#44 Brookvale Park - 1930.jpg

#45 - Brookvale Park - Bandstand (low quality)
#45 Brookvale Park.jpg

#46 - Brookvale Park - The Boathouse - c1910 (low quality)
#46 Brookvale Park - The Boathouse c1910.jpg

Is it the same little boy in pictures 42 & 43? I wonder if he was with the lady with the pushchair and little girl, or maybe he came with the photographer?

Brookvale Park (16)

#47 - Brookvale Park - Sailing on the Lake (low quality picture)

#47 Brookvale.jpg

#48 - Brookvale Park - Rowing Boat on the Lake

#48 Brookvale..JPG

Brookvale Park (17)

#49 Brookvale Park - Entrance Bandstand End - Sign on fence says "Evening Classes" c1923.
#49 Brookvale Park - 1923.jpg
#50 Brookvale Park - Sailing on the lake - George Road in background - (poor quality due to water damage).

#50 Brookvale Park.JPG

Re: Brookvale Park - Updating a few Pictures with better quality images.

#1 Brookvale Park - c1925 - Better quality image.
#1 Brookvale Park - 1915 - better.jpg

#3 Brookvale Park - c1924 - Better quality image.
#3 Brookvale Park - 1924 better.jpg

#9 Brookvale Park - Better quality image.
#9 brookvale park  better.jpg

#20 Brookvale Park - c1910 - Better quality image.
#20 Brookvale Park - 1910 better.jpg

#27 Brookvale Park - Better quality image - (Open Air swimming pool centre left) - (Large 3/4 storey houses on Gladstone Road - Top left - with houses of Doidge Rd just in front of them).
#27 Brookvale Park better.jpg

Re: Brookvale Park - Updating a few Pictures with better quality images.

#1 Brookvale Park - c1925 - Better quality image.
View attachment 109149

#3 Brookvale Park - c1924 - Better quality image.
View attachment 109151

#9 Brookvale Park - Better quality image.
View attachment 109152

#20 Brookvale Park - c1910 - Better quality image.
View attachment 109153

#27 Brookvale Park - Better quality image - (Open Air swimming pool centre left) - (Large 3/4 storey houses on Gladstone Road - Top left - with houses of Doidge Rd just in front of them).
View attachment 109154
These are quality pictures, presumably all postcards. Where they all from local publishers and do the form part of an erdington collection. Not read the forum for a week, been in hospital with a broken ankle, got knocked down by a car in a car park!!!!!
Bob

what wonderful photos two thanks for sharing them with us all...

bob that sounds nasty..best wishes for a speedy recovery

lyn

Re: Brookvale Park (last one)

#18b - Brookvale Park
This is slightly different from previous pictures 18, 18a & 19.
The picture shows the "Fish Pond" at the Bandstand end of the Park.
The Park water outfall (centre left) is clearly visible.

#18b Brookvale park  - New.jpg

Here is the long awaited photo of the Witton Lakes Boathouse. On the left hand side upper floor was the small cafe which sold Pop and Ice Cream. I remember the Vimto which we never had the money to buy unless my brother and I went with my Uncle who would buy us a pop or an ice cream. The Park Keeper's house is off to the left hand side. This photo was taken around 1963 with an Instamatic camera.
Hi jenny new to this forum.Born 63 and remember both lakes from childhood. Still local to area!how does one view pic? On unrelated subject seem remember ride on model railway some Sundays in witton lakes in 60s/early 70s by boathouse

Richard.
Welcome to the forum. glad you find it interesting.
What post no. was the photo in? A large number of photos were lost some time ago. Many have been replaced later in the thread. One that was later replaced that showed the boat house is below,
index.php

Richard.
Welcome to the forum. glad you find it interesting.
What post no. was the photo in? A large number of photos were lost some time ago. Many have been replaced later in the thread. One that was later replaced that showed the boat house is below,
index.php
#47 Thanks

Brookvale Park - 3 Further Images.

#51 Brookvale Park - c1915 - Children's Corner (Marsh Hill End)
#51 Brookvale Park - 1915 - new.jpg

#52 Brookvale Park - c1912 - Bandstand End - George Road in background.
#52 Brookvale Park - 1912.JPG

#53 Brookvale Park - c1915 - Bandstand End - George Road in background - Rosary Road by Park Entrance - Abbey Road on Far Right
#53 Brookvale Park - 1915.JPG

#54 - Brookvale Park (Possibly the George Road side)

#54 Brookvale Park.jpg

#55 - Brookvale Park - Feeding The Swans - c1915

#55 Brookvale Park - 1915.jpg

#56 Brookvale Park c1915 - George Road on left, Open Air Baths in the centre of picture. #56 Brookvale Park - 1915.jpg

Pedrocut - do you still have those lovely curls? I'm glad you printed the larger version as I hadn't realised it was taken at Brookvale Park.

IMG_7925.JPG
Pedrocut - do you still have those lovely curls? I'm glad you printed the larger version as I hadn't realised it was taken at Brookvale Park.

No curls now. I think it must have been the whisky that the old man put in me botttle, smoking at an early age (see thumbnail), and spending too much time in Witton Billiard Hall and Perry Barr Dogs!

Wow! These photos are superb, and bring back many, many memories of when I was a nipper. My dad loved the rowing-boats, and we'd head for Brookvale Park most Sunday afternoons if he had nowt else on, weather permitting. He would never let me have a go, though! Years later I knew someone who lived in one of the houses in Photo No 1, approximately opposite the horse-drawn vehicle travelling along George Road. I don't know if my ancient memory-banks are playing up, but was there some kind of Pageant in Brookvale Park to mark the Coronation in 1953? Does anyone remember? Or am I thinking of another local park, possibly Aston Park?

Thanks for the pics, Two!

G

Brookvale Park
Higher Quality image of my picture 18a that I posted. (Brookvale Park - Fish Pond - 1915)18 a QualityBrookvale Park - Fish pond -1915 - Copy copy.jpg

#57 Brookvale Park - ( George Road to the right & Swimming Baths centre right - c1912)
#57 Brookvale Park 4 - 1912 - Copy copy.jpg

I have to say that every time I see that overflow my legs go all funny (no comments please). I keep thinking about all those young children and the wall being so low. Wouldn't happen today would it?

As a postscript, I went to the library today to look at a 1760 map of Erdington. Brookvale is shown with Witton Slade alongside. What fascinated me was that the pool was known as Goglo's pool. Who, I wonder was Goglo? Answers and suggestions on a postcard please, preferably of Brookvale Park!

The brook at Brookvale Park in 1912. "We waz doin nuffink .. onnist"

Now these boys were either insensitive to the cold or were just plain daft, paddling in a stream on what must have been a very early spring day .... Well, nuts if you ask me. Viv.

image.jpeg

View attachment 120868
Fishing in Brookvale Park.
I fished in Brookvale park many times in the 50`s, it was a beautiful park back then. Now it has no soul, all the hedgerows ripped out. I haven`t been back since `65 when i rowed my future wife around the lake & my feathering must have impressed her! That was something Brum was good at, it`s many parks.

Back