• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Loxton Street School

Theres a great probability that a small district was known as Bloomsbury , most of our sisters went to Bloomsbury St girls school the boys @ Loxton always called it our sister school ,in our last year once a week the girls would come to us the next week we would go down to them for dancing lessons the boys on one side the girls on the other & the boys would have to ask the girls to dance .The July leavers of 1954 had a rock& roll competition a little unfair as some had already been dancing together at Bloomsbury st youth club

Hi Leo

We have already talked elsewhere, yes there was an area of Nechells called Bloomsbury. Also my sister was a pupil there in the late 50's early 60's, according to the memorial stone that was placed at the site of the school it was the first state school to be built in Birmingham some ten years before Loxton Street. Myself the couple of years schooling I received in Nechells was at St Vincents RC Juniors. Though I got out of there as soon as I could and head back to school in Balsall Heath namely Tindal St & Dennis Rd. I have to say that I had a few mates at Loxton Street the last year of the school as I remember them moving to the new school they build on what was then the junction of Ashted Row and Bloomsbury Street was it called Duddeston Manor School?

Attachments

• Nechells Bloomsbury St School .jpg
    Nechells Bloomsbury St School .jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 19
Ye Phil some interesting information there once again , I think this is better than school far more educational and most enjoying

#179hi Phil just realised that your satnav may not be working properly, re Ashted Row & Bloomsbury st

Hi in the first year @ Locco 1954 we went to Windsor St School for metal work lessons i remember a Mr Groves was the teacher he left in july 55 it never opened again ,one of the things i made in copper was a tea caddy spoon a rather shallow spoon which we had to plannish ,after some time at plannishing it i took it to be marked Mr Groves comment was its supposed to be a spoon not a soup bowl

#179hi Phil just realised that your satnav may not be working properly, re Ashted Row & Bloomsbury st

How do you mean Leo, as I remember it Duddeston Manor School was built to the left of the Junction public House which stood at the junction of Great Frances St and Bloomsbury St. It was at the End of Ashted Row opposite the end of Vauxhall Rd where the houses in the photo are.

Attachments

• Nechells Great Francis St - Bloomsbury St  The Junction.jpg
    Nechells Great Francis St - Bloomsbury St The Junction.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Nechells Ashted Row 1959.jpg
    Nechells Ashted Row 1959.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 33
Phil ,have been able to look at an AtoZ published in 2000 & it shows Duddeston Manor before Pitney St on the right therefore closer to the Junction pub than i thought .I hope I have not created to much of a problem ,cheers Leo

Leo

No problems mate, if you think I am wrong at any time then point it out, or anyone else of it comes to that. None of us are infallible especially myself as I have made some right howlers on here in the past so I have always been grateful to have them pointed out.

Duddeston Manor school has been rebuilt, next to the old school and is called Heartlands Academy.

Hi MWS ,thanks I actually new where it was ,but not the actual location regarding it being further away from Duddeston Mill Rd than I remembered thanks once again Leo

Hi MWS , when you say it was rebuilt do you mean that it was demolished & rebuilt or extended if so do you know approx when this happened Leo

Hi Leo. Totally rebuilt, there are 2 blocks now, much closer to Hilden Road where a football pitch used to be. I think it was about 2012. If you've got google earth you can see the changes from the historical images.

Hi Leo. Totally rebuilt, there are 2 blocks now, much closer to Hilden Road where a football pitch used to be. I think it was about 2012. If you've got google earth you can see the changes from the historical images.

Phil, maybe this could be part of the grey area ,rebuilt closer to the old Junction pub its new information for me

Three tower blocks behind Locco #2263 Phil's photo's I don't know if any had been completed Mr Harold Martin took our class to the site after explaining to us that there was deep clay there quite an experience being on site H&S nowadays . We came back to school with big square lumps of clay wrapped in wet Hessian sacking to be used in our pottery lessons this would be about 1955

Last edited:
Hi.

I did get called little Billy Ingram at times due to my Dad who was Bill(William) Ingram, He was the caretaker at Loxton Street. I remember two other names Mary Docherty and Michael Leach, Michael Leach's dad ran the Swan Pub on the corner of Loxton Street, I also seem to remember a Malcolm Hassel but I may have spelt that wrong.

Best wishes to you and your dad.

Hello everyone I am new to this forum but I did go to Loxton Street School from 1946 to 1956. I do remember you Bill and your Mom, Dad and Sister.

Ye Phil some interesting information there once again , I think this is better than school far more educational and most enjoying

Hello Everyone
This is my second post on this forum. I went to Loxton street school from 1946 to 1956 My name is Gerald White and I lived in
Cathcart Street. Anyone remember me. I would love to hear from some of my old school pals.I have not seen any mention of a Mr Coombes, Mr Joshua or Mr Haydyn Jones.
Best wishes to everyone.
GardenGerald.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone
This is my second post on this forum. I went to Loxton street school from 1946 to 1956 My name is Gerald White and I lived in
Cathcart Street. Anyone remember me. I would love to hear from some of my old school pals.I have not seen any mention of a Mr Coombes, Mr Joshua or Mr Haydyn Jones.
Best wishes to everyone.
GardenGerald.

Hello Everyone
Who remembers the first flats framework being built at the back of the school. Everything fine on Friday but by Monday morning it was leaning over at a risky angle. A special team arrived to very carefully take it all down. It was rebuilt after a great deal of pile driving. Who had the cane, the rules about caning stated that boys should receive more positive strokes than girls a short cane or long cane could be used on hands or buttocks. The long cane was 42 inches in length. Mr Hartshorne liked to give three strokes but Mr jones gave 1, 2, or four. Who remembers the boy being caned in front of the whole school for stealing a bike. I am not related to Mr White the six foot six inch teacher who arrived at Loxton Street during my ten years there.
Take care..GardenGerald.

Hi Graham,i remember you well my name is peter johnson,i remember tommy hopes,john fulwell,alan grainger,colin sprason,pat green,yvonne faulkner,anne bown. i actually bumped into colin sprason in the london area (small world),i did hear that alan grainger had passed away in 2009

John Fulwell was my Dad - he passed away March 1996 :(
Just a week before my Nan (his mother Gwen Fulwell )
I was just searching the surname on here and saw this post x

Hi Tmb73. I didn't know your Dad, but it's always sad to hear of another Locco member passing on, although it was 20 years ago. Believe me, he went to a great school.

hello ,I went to Loxton St school in1943 ,I was born in Bloomsbury St in1938,I remember ,Mr Walker, Mr Martin, Mr Bond,I was in theA stream ,I can remember Albert Fisher,Peter Pugh, John Baccochi,a good artist,Kenny Taylor,Matthew Matthews,Our house in Bloomsbury st was next to Bloomsury St Police station,

went to Loxton,infant ,junior and senior school, i started in about 1957 until it closed. I still have memories of the school and the smells. I can see the wooden hut in the playground the kitchens at the bottom of the yard.
I remember Mr White, Miss Jones,Miss Ford,Mr Cummings,Harold Martin the woodwork teacher,Mr Pullen [a great bloke] and Mr Parker head of senior school,Miss Newis head of Junior and infant school.
I also remember that tragic accident, it happened in the car park of south tower while i was there with my mum, i was whisked away promptly, it turned out that a teacher had sent him out for ciggies. i remember all this as if it were yesterday
went to Loxton,infant ,junior and senior school, i started in about 1957 until it closed. I still have memories of the school and the smells. I can see the wooden hut in the playground the kitchens at the bottom of the yard.
I remember Mr White, Miss Jones,Miss Ford,Mr Cummings,Harold Martin the woodwork teacher,Mr Pullen [a great bloke] and Mr Parker head of senior school,Miss Newis head of Junior and infant school.
I also remember that tragic accident, it happened in the car park of south tower while i was there with my mum, i was whisked away promptly, it turned out that a teacher had sent him out for ciggies. i remember all this as if it were yesterday
Mr Herbert Davies sent the boy out to buy sweets for the class

Hi Graham,i remember you well my name is peter johnson,i remember tommy hopes,john fulwell,alan grainger,colin sprason,pat green,yvonne faulkner,anne bown. i actually bumped into colin sprason in the london area (small world),i did hear that alan grainger had passed away in 2009

Peter Johnson.
I remember you peter, I was in the same class as you, my name is Robert Pearce, I also remember the ones you named, did Anne Bown Wear glasses?
John Fulwell had a sister called Gail and a older brother, they lived in the new blocks of house on top house just off great lister st.
I have a photo with all of us in the school hall, also with Derek Hassen,do you remember him, John crease ? Or creaseley He had a younger brother, also step brother,
They lived in south tower, where most of the names you mentioned lived.
John crease went to grammar school, after a year, returned to duddeston manor
School. Can you remember Ronald Crawley? He lived in one of the tower's behind loxton St School, he was the best swimmer, in the School, we were in gala's Together, at Woodcock st and Stechford cascades,
That's where I ended my working day's as a swimming teacher,
( March 2016 )
I lived in Oak Cottage's in Erskine St, Vauxhall.
Robert

Last edited:
John Fulwell was my Dad - he passed away March 1996 :(
Just a week before my Nan (his mother Gwen Fulwell )
I was just searching the surname on here and saw this post x

I am so sorry to hear your dad passed away,and your nan.
I was John 's friend at Loxton St School, we had lot's of fun,
Rob

Garden Gerald,sorry had to move here otherwise Phill would have told us off. Unfortunately the names don't ring any bells
The head Mr Haydyn Jones then a Mr Tom Parker his deputy
Mr Drew . I did enjoy the inter house swimming gala's at Woodcocks Street baths I was not a strong swimmer myself
Although when I left I had my 1 mile certificate ,most holidays
Where spent at the baths using our free passes

Rob Pearce I doubt that you will remember me I'm one of the Whittingtons we lived opposite Oak Cottages in Erskine St, I m
Older than your brother Brian but knew him well he was a mechanic at the Co-op I was a driver there, you may remember my bro Terry or Garry Lynch they went to locco regards Leo

I remember that assembly hall well, my dad used to mop it with some stuff called 'Bourn seal', I have no idea how to spell it, but he used to do it during the school holidays.

Then once dry I remember some of the old boys and me putting dusters on our feet and we sort of skated on it, as we did the floor started to shine and after a few days that floor would look wonderful.

You could see your reflection in it and when the school came back after summer break all of the teachers used to praise my dad for the hard work in polishing it up. I never knew if they were aware that it got its shine by the method he used :^)

When you look at the photo of the hall on the opposite side in that far corner was a room where they kept the gym mats, horse, etc. My friend Michael Leech and I used to play in that room tumbling over the equipment, having play fights. Michael Leech lived at the Swan Pub just on the corner of Loxton St.

Ahh! Great times
I have to ask people, does Loxton Street still exist? My great great grandparents lived here 1871 onwards. My dad's side of family moved to dollman Street 1920s. It's all warehouses now.

Rob Pearce I doubt that you will remember me I'm one of the Whittingtons we lived opposite Oak Cottages in Erskine St, I m
Older than your brother Brian but knew him well he was a mechanic at the Co-op I was a driver there, you may remember my bro Terry or Garry Lynch they went to locco regards Leo

Hi Len I do remember you and your mate's, Barry Taylor , Maurice Duffield. Brian as told me
There was another friend his nick name was Ada? I also remember your brother Terry and Garry lynch, David Pugh, & Stewart Ward who lived opposite your house's.
Brian and I went back down Erskine St on Tuesday, remembering the good old days, can you remember, the Goodman's ,Conlon's ,Dank's ,Ward's ,Power's,
Brian and I was trying to place who lived where in your yard.? We think that Gerry lynch's nan ? lived in the first house next to the ally way. then pugh's then lynch 's then yourself 's I also remember
Two ladies both called Kate's. Brain wish's to be remembered to you & Terry.
Rob Pearce

Hi Rob ,to answer your question is as follows
Entry Granny Haynes (Gary's Nan )
Whittingtons / Pughs / Lynch / Katy Vickers
Moss Duffield died end of 2003 age 60
Barry Taylor just heard died about 3years ago age 69 / 70
Garry Lynch died 2009 age 62
Sorry for bad information
Regards Leo

My name is Michael D'abreu, went to Loxton Street Juniors then Seniors from circa 1954 left at fifteen Christams 1961, lived across the road in South Tower, best friend at school was Roy Langston who lived in Inkerman Street for most of the time I knew him, others I remember Roger Sanderson now living in USA and still a friend to this day, Graham Kerr, Dennis Hodgkins, remember many of the teachers if not all the names, Meers, Bond, Drew, Parker Head Master, someone may remember me from that time I was then probably one of the few "dark" kids being half Portuguese.

welcome to the forum michael...fingers crossed someone will remember you from loxton st school

lyn

Back