• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Edgbaston Estate Office Hagley Road

sez

master brummie
Does anyone know anything about the Edgbaston Estate Office on the Hagley Road (139) a great aunt was a domestic servant there in 1932.

I believe the estates management is now owned by the calthôrpes family
And now is offices oppersite corner to the plough and Harrow hotel
On the oppersite side of the Plough and Harrow road and Hagley road junction
They have been there for donkeys years they own most of the lands and property's
Around that quarter bristol road pershore road Hagley road
Sir Harry's road virtually every think

I thought it had always been called Calthorpe Estates ever since the family took the name Gough - Calthorpe after marrying into the Calthorpe family. Then in 1796 Sir Henry Gough became Baron Calthorpe of Calthorpe . The Gough Calthorpe's have lived in Hampshire since 1783.

A little potted history of the family here,

https://www.calthorperesidents.org/calthorpe-estate-history/

On the 1925 electoral roll - Edward Howard Balden and his wife Edith are listed at 137/139 - which is in Kelly's as the Estate Office and, I assume, a house for them. On 1911 census he was described as "estate manager".
In 1935 Guy and Ellen Heaton and Olive Bissett were listed.
In 1939 the address was not listed - it jumped from Plough and Harrow to 141.

Janice

Back