• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

Hi Lynn
Nice picture ,nice memories as well for me two reasons firstly I lived directly across from crocodile works and over looked the factory
Because from there I lived on the very top of block of costs they built directly across on the new town row above the market they built facing when they dine away with the old concrete car park just after they started demo of the area and built the swimming baths

We was on the very top floor at the rear and the coffee shop on the corner was many years prior was my grand fathers older
Brother Charles Henry coffee shop it was great around there many years back
What emediatly springs to my mind that on Clifford street many years after building those flats once it was all demoed
They built those flats one Sunday night there was a flat fire across over there about the eight floor up
There was a flat fire, and it was an elderly couple and the flames was roaring out of the window it was fierce indeed
I have never forgotten the screams of this elderly couple seeing the flames as fasdt and fierce
And hearing this old couple screaming at the top of the fire help help we was on the top floor of Inkertman house
And we could see all it made us both sick to watch the fire rage and we could not do any think about it
It made us shudder for days they both died through the fire thanks again Lynn Alan,,,,

alan that sounds like it was it was a very nasty fire indeed...must have been awful

lyn

Morning Lynn
Yes it was horrlndous it was about ten /30 that night and you could hear them screaming it went through me
And the flames was high never forgot it and never will the screams carried across the road I felt terrible about not doing any think but I was across the road top floor
But the fire was really ahead before I seen it and heard them best wishes Alan,,,,,,

at last a new one for this thread showing the alma tavern dated 1961 i really like this one as it has a mitchells and butlers delivery van outside..and who is that little girl on the step ??..excellent clarity on this one so click on the pic 3 times..

lyn

Attachments

• ALMA TAVERN 1961 ALMA ST.jpg
    ALMA TAVERN 1961 ALMA ST.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 110
Lyn
In 1960 and 1962 no 125 Alma St (the house in the picture) was occupied by Peter Jennings according to the electoral roll

thanks mike so if that is a little jennings girl at the door then please step forward....mike could i have a map please showing where the alma tavern was in relationship to the salutation pub i have always wondered just how close to each other they were..

thanks mike no rush

lyn

Glad to oblige. Alma Tavern in red , Salutation in blue on this map c 1950

map_c_1950_Alma_St_showing_the_Alma_Tavern_and_the__Salutation.jpg

many thanks mike...for some strange reason i always imagined that one of those pubs would have been before clifford st yet they are both after it...

lyn

hi mike
my grand fathers brother ran the coffee shop down Alma street [ charles jelf ] and he would have been my mothers uncle charlie jelf as my mother was
IVY BEATRICE JELF ; THE ONLY CHILD TO HIS BROTHER ERNEST JELF OF PARK LANE ASTON CROSS
WHERE THE OTHER COFFEE SHOPS AS WELL AROND ON ASTON ROAD NORTH ; AND AROUND THE CROSS WITH THERE CROCKERY HIRE
SHE WAS NAMED AFTER THERE ONE AND ONLY SISTER ; [IVY JELF WHOM KEPT TBURN ROAD SHOP AND BUSSINESS ,S THERE
CHARLES LIVED AT 47 ALMA STREET AND WITH A BOKING OFFICE AS WELL AS 901 TYBURN RD WHERE DUNLOP WORKERS CAME FOR THEY BOUGHT THERE
TEAS AND SANDWICHES AS WELL ; INCIDENTLY HE RAN ONE IN ALMA STREET AS WELL [ BOOKING OFFICE ]
I WAS ALSO WONDERING WETHER OR NOT THAT JENNINGS HOUSE COULD HAVE BEEN RELATED TO THE JENNING IN PARLIMENT STREET
WHICH WAS NOT TO FAR BACK DOWN THE ROAD FROM ALMA STREET AS I RECALL BECAUSE MY FATHERS MOTHER MARRIED A JENNINGS FAMILY
WHOM LIVED IN PARLIMENT STREET ASTON; AND HE HAD A CARTIER BUSSINES AND BATTERY I THINK IT WAS HE HAD FOUR YOUNGER SISTERS AND ONE
BROTHER ; I THINK MR JENNING WAS MARRIED BEFORE HE MET MY GRAND MOTHER WHOM WAS ELISEBETH AND AT SOME POINT I DO NOT KNOW WHETHER
HE DIED OR SEPERATATED FOR SOME REASON SHE MARRIED ANOTHER MAN BY THE NAME OF STEVENS I BELEIVE HE HAD SOME THINK TO DO WITH
DRINKS MAKING COULD THAT BE POSIBLE TO BE LATED TO THE MR JENNING OF PARLIMENT STREET COULD HE HAVE BEEN A SON OF HIS
BEST WISHES MIKE ALAN;; ASTONIAN;

we are on a roll now...2 more new ones...

lyn

pic 1 court and garden..no date no number

pic 2...no 148 alma st dated 1925

Attachments

• Alma Street Court and Garden.jpg
    Alma Street Court and Garden.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Aston Alma Street  5-6-1925.jpg
    Aston Alma Street 5-6-1925.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 93
Lyn the run of shops in picture 2 looks like the shops near asylum road,in the 50s one was a joke shop that sold itching powder,stink bombs,fake dog poo etc,.

Lyn the run of shops in picture 2 looks like the shops near asylum road,in the 50s one was a joke shop that sold itching powder,stink bombs,fake dog poo etc,.

lol moss thanks...if mike spots this he maybe able to post a map showing where no 148 was...moss go to the njsw and hockley hill threads now dont want you to miss any new pics...i think i may have a new one of the redhouse pub but i will have to have look tomorrow for that..

lyn

Lyn
Below is map c 1955 showing 148 alma St. The 1924 directory shows Joseph Downes, piano tuner at 148 and Charles Ray, bedstead manufacturer at 148A Alma St, though Ray is listed only at 326 Newtown Row in 1921 & 1932. I cannot find any mention in Kellys of a Wringler (or , just in case, a W.Ringler) in any of the kellys of those 3 dates

map_c_1955_showing_148_alma_st.jpg

Last edited:
Can anyone help me, I'm looking for links to the moss family that lived in Sidcup Rd kingstanding, I am a moss myself (jason moss) Arthur and daisy moss's son, we came from Clifton Rd aston and Porchester Rd Newtown and also lived on Albert Rd aston. the person that I'm looking for info for is Tommy and dolly, would be very helpful

Hi I have just joined facebook and have going down memory lane. I was born in 1951 and lived at 5/144 Alma Street until i was about 13is My name is Jackie Sadler. there was 6 of us children we all went to Alma street school until we reached 11, It has been interesting reading what as been going on so much as come back to mind. Everyone please take care
Jackie.

Glad to oblige. Alma Tavern in red , Salutation in blue on this map c 1950

map_c_1950_Alma_St_showing_the_Alma_Tavern_and_the__Salutation.jpg
Hi there, my granddad had a Wallpaper Shop on Alma Street, number 55, F Willetts, my granddad was Wilfred Willetts would love to see if anyone as any picture's of his shop and me and my mom would love to hear from people who remembers them. Many thanks Ange

hi angela welcome to the forum...i dont think there are any photos of willetts as yet but if mike sees this post could you post a map showing where no 55 alma st was please...

lyn

Below is map showing no 55 in red

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing 55 alma St.jpg
    map c 1951 showing 55 alma St.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 42
hi angela welcome to the forum...i dont think there are any photos of willetts as yet but if mike sees this post could you post a map showing where no 55 alma st was please...

lyn
Thank you for getting back to me, I'm not sure where to find a map. I know my mom said she lived opposite the Salutation Pub. The shop belonged to my Great Grandfather Frederick Willetts then belonged to my Grandad Wilfred Willett's (Fred). My granddad painted and wallpapered a lot of houses and pubs around this area. Hope you can help.

hi angela if you look at the previous post mike has posted a map marking out no 55 which as you say was opposite the salutation pub...if i do find a photo of willetts i will of course post it for you but alma st photos are hard to come by...enjoy the forum there is plenty to look at:)

lyn

hi angela if you look at the previous post mike has posted a map marking out no 55 which as you say was opposite the salutation pub...if i do find a photo of willetts i will of course post it for you but alma st photos are hard to come by...enjoy the forum there is plenty to look at:)

lyn
Thank you Lyn that's very kind of you. Yes it's interesting looking at all the photo's and posts on here as a lot of my ancestors lived around these area's. Many kind regards Angela.

Hi guys
Just been reading angies, thread on Alma street on her memories and relatives at 55 Alma street
But i also notice on other peoples comments of the coffee shop people recall
And i would like to say that jelfs owned the cafe for many years
He was an uncle to me,and his name was charles jelf whom owned the coffee shop
He was one of my grand fathers brother ,my grand father was ernest jelf and it was there father whom built the bussiness for them and in total during there time they had a total of thirty three bussiness,s running
They had coffee shops all over and around birmingham
Starting from tyburn road down through and around Aston through aston and hockley
Even the city centre in the early years charles lived at 47 Alma Street.
He had two coffee shops and a bookies at alma street and tyburn road
Whilst the others had nechells aston cross park lane ,aston road north
They also had two chippies a news agents big time catureing bussiness
Which supplied all the high society wedding and all the clkuncil functions and the old GPO
All there provisions was stored in two ware house which they owned
And a crockery hire at park lane ,my grand father was the last of the brothers to pass away
There was one sister ,her name was Ivy Jelf living at 901 ivy dene tyburn road erdington
She out lived them all she ran the last coffee house of the jelfs to 1984

Hi guys
Just been reading angies, thread on Alma street on her memories and relatives at 55 Alma street
But i also notice on other peoples comments of the coffee shop people recall
And i would like to say that jelfs owned the cafe for many years
He was an uncle to me,and his name was charles jelf whom owned the coffee shop
He was one of my grand fathers brother ,my grand father was ernest jelf and it was there father whom built the bussiness for them and in total during there time they had a total of thirty three bussiness,s running
They had coffee shops all over and around birmingham
Starting from tyburn road down through and around Aston through aston and hockley
Even the city centre in the early years charles lived at 47 Alma Street.
He had two coffee shops and a bookies at alma street and tyburn road
Whilst the others had nechells aston cross park lane ,aston road north
They also had two chippies a news agents big time catureing bussiness
Which supplied all the high society wedding and all the clkuncil functions and the old GPO
All there provisions was stored in two ware house which they owned
And a crockery hire at park lane ,my grand father was the last of the brothers to pass away
There was one sister ,her name was Ivy Jelf living at 901 ivy dene tyburn road erdington
She out lived them all she ran the last coffee house of the jelfs to 1984
I will ask my mom if she remembers your relatives.

Hi Angela. i would think the person who took this picture in 1953 was standing very close to Alma St.Lozells.Coronation party..jpg your granddads premises.

Attachments

• Alma St.Lozells.Coronation party..jpg
    Alma St.Lozells.Coronation party..jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 17
angela your mom may even know someone on the photos i posted taken of customers inside and outside the alma tavern pub

lyn

Hi Angela. here is a photograph of 57 Alma street.

Attachments

• 14138631_10154520727629511_2094284914465315122_o[1].jpg
    14138631_10154520727629511_2094284914465315122_o[1].jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 49
Back