• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Vixen
Reaction score

Latest activity Postings About

• Vixen
      Vixen replied to the thread Matilda Mayes.
      Thanks. I did have this but hadn't realised the address until you pointed this out. I dont think Thomas and Eliza married as I havent...
    • Vixen
      Thanks Lynn, thats quite condemning of both parents. I find it strange that if Sabina went to prison why there doesn't appear at...
    • Vixen
      Vixen reacted to Astoness's post in the thread Matilda Mayes with Appreciate Appreciate.
      hi vixen until i found the girls in the admissions book we did not know how long they were to stay at gem st but i went through the...
    • Vixen
      https://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/TreeBrowse.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&field=RefNo&key=MS+994 Hi Lynn I dont know if this link...
    • Vixen
      The school was funded largely by subscriptions and donations, along with the board and lodging payments for asylum residents, and the...
    • Vixen
      Vixen replied to the thread Home for unmarried mothers.
      error reply
    • Vixen
      Thanks for that @MWS I was trying to decipher the names and the explanation helps. I didn't know who Ambrose Biggs was and was actually...
    • Vixen
      Vixen reacted to MWS's post in the thread Matilda Mayes with Appreciate Appreciate.
      It says Ambrose Biggs. At one time he was a councillor and mayor. I'd surmise he and George Goodrick served on the board (or something...
    • Vixen
      @Astoness if you have the transcription for both copies that would be great unless anyone knows how to improve picture quality above...
    • Vixen
      Matilda would have been 6 not 7 at the time of admission as her birthday was 20th Feb 1867 so there is a year discrepancy on the record...
    • Vixen
      @Astoness also sorry....where it says about being detained the date is different to the admission date for Gem Street. The name Ambrose...
    • Vixen
      @Astoness so Gem Street was for up to 16yr olds Im reading between the lines if a child is admitted aged 7 or 9 and then detained for 7...
    • Vixen
      @Astoness So I was right to suspect that Eliza Mayes was Matilda's sister even tho the transcribed record said Moyes not Mayes though...
    • Vixen
      Thanks for the above records which I will take a look at. Sorry I've not been on lately so missed you posting this until now. Yes I...
    • Vixen
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back