• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Recent content by superdad3

1. superdad3

Antique gun shop Pershore road

Was in Stirchley this morning and noticed a very interesting old workshop on the corner of Pershore Rd/Ash Tree Rd. and what a gem it was. Checked on the Forum and some very intersting info already posted. I hope some more info/phots from the internet will be of interest..
  2. superdad3

The Women's Hospital, Stratford Rd., Birmingham. c1880

See also thread on site under Womens Hospital History and development - some very interesting phots and history notes - fascinating. I remember the Showell Green Lane building built in 1905. Lovely Edwardian building with Arts & Crafts influence. I used to go past it on the bus for years in the...
  3. superdad3

Birmingham Workhouse Dudley Road Western Road opened 1852

I have read with great interest the thread on the Birmingham Workhouse. The parish was the main administrative body for local services until the nineteenth century. It was responsible for law & order, upkeep of roads and the poor. They were run by people who could read, write and keep accounts...
  4. superdad3

Hoppers scrapyard Aston

Bit off topic but my son tells me they are called "Space saver wheels" and they are still around. I think they were one of the most stupid things the motor trade introduced and should be banned. I know they are "safe" and "legal" but only if used according to the regulations..............
  5. superdad3

Hoppers scrapyard Aston

I remember Hoppers very well as a car breakers yard. I say a car breakers - it was very much a DIY site. I had two car fanatic sons and we spent hours there. I remember on my first visit I asked one of their lads how I went about getting a car part. With a screwdriver! was the reply. Bought an...
  6. superdad3

Scams: Telephone, email, texts, other 2021

Hi, many thanks for details of article. Yes, please PM name etc of reporter. The situation is every bit as bad as the article suggests. Looks like the company will be removed from register at my address. That then leaves the company director registered at my address. Yes, really. To remove that...
  7. superdad3

Hi, yes checked on Companies House website. Only gives name of company, address [ie my address] and name of [only] director & nothing else of any use. That's it.
  8. superdad3

Update: Companies House: 1. Filled in two forms, had to provide proof that I actually live at my address [but the fraudser registering a company at my address didn't need to!!!]. 2. Companies House then sent me two replies [one to each form], ditto to the company to my house, ditto to the named...
  9. superdad3

Moor Green connections to Hockley??

Very interesting thread. Moseley church was for hundreds of years a chapel in the Parish of Kings Norton. It wasn’t until 1853 that Moseley was granted a fully defined boundary and it became a completely separate parish in 1866. Moor Green was included in Moseley at the dates mentioned. Moor...
  10. superdad3

Not what they used to be......

Yes I did! But it was about adulteration of food etc products in the Victorian/Edwardian period! Truly awful what manufacturers got away with. I though it it was clear from my original posts that I was taking about RECENT changes arising from takeovers by MULTI-NATIONALS of traditional...
  11. superdad3

You are probably right about the size/inflation angle. But "health & safety" as a reason for changing ingredients on popular items when taken over? So HP sauce made in Aston was so dangerous that when a dutch company took it over they immediately changed it. And do you really think Andrews...
  12. superdad3

Good music to listen to on U Tube

The best ever Stones recording!!! but early Beetles comparable I think. But then I also rate Gene Vincent at My family find my taste in music very odd. Hey, but who cares, I like what I like. From Superdad3/76yr old rocker.
  13. superdad3

As well as a lot of good old products vanishing from the shelves, it disappoints me how many traditional products have been "bought" up by big companies and immediately altered for the worse. HP Sauce was never the same after taken over by the dutch - darker & doesn't taste the same. Brillo Pads...
  14. superdad3

Tastes Of The Past

My mouth is watering already! Can't beat good home cooking using proper ingredients My wife's makes chips like this: 1. Cut potatoes into chips as usual. 2. Parboil. 3. On an oven tray spread x1 table spoon of cooking oil. Sprinkle with sea salt, cayenne pepper, paprika, mustard powder & black...
  15. superdad3

Moseley C Of E School

Came across this book on ebay. Fascinating history of the school until 1969 when it moved into the new building on Oxford Road. The origins of the school arose from meeting of the Freeholders in June 1827 when it was agreed "that it is expedient in the present state of this chapelry, that a...
Back