• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Horatio

1. H

A talk to the Kings Heath Local History Society "Moor Street to the Dardanelles: Gallipoli and Birmingham" Wednesday 20th March 2024, 7.15pm

Hi Ian, I would have liked to attend but unable. My Great Uncle John Hawkins Turner we understand served in the Gallipoli campaign, he joined the Queen’s Own Worcestershire Hussars or Worcestershire Yeomanry in 1910 mobilised and posted to Egypt at the outbreak of the war in 1914, l understand...
  2. H

Birmingham men who served in the Zulu Wars in Africa

Thank you for your input, Horatio George Hawkins Turner is my Great Grandfather he served in the Zulu campaign, survived the war and founded his corn and seed business in Small Heath 1884. He had two brothers David and Charles, one emigrated to Ohio North America the other emigrated to Kampala...
  3. H

Thank you for your reply that all sounds like him our family ran a corn and seed business from 1884 - 2001. I would be interested to know if any archives exist in Birmingham relating to the Zulu campaign.
  4. H

My Great Grandfather Horatio George Turner served as a tracker during the Zulu campaign, l am researching the topic and would welcome any input from members. Unfortunately I was not able to attend the recent Exhibition during July in London on this military campaign. I understand that he was a...
  5. H

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration at Brandwood End Cemetery 24/4

Hi Ian, Regarding any relationship between my own family and Horace George Turner it is not a name l have seen in my own family history. Since the early 1800s my family were from Duddleston, Aston area then Small Heath. John Hawkins Turner joined the Worcestershire Yeomanry in 1910 as part of...
  6. H

Gallipoli/ANZAC Day Commemoration at Brandwood End Cemetery 24/4

Hi Ian, I was interested to see the article on the Gallipoli campaign, my Great Uncle John Hawkins Turner served with the Worcestershire Yeomanry from 1910 until he was KIA in Huj Palestine 1917. I understand that his cavalry regiment was converted to infantry and deployed in Gallipoli. I think...
  7. H

Old Sutton Parade Shops

Regarding Sutton Parade Shops My family owned H G Turner Ltd Corn and Seed Merchants and my Grandfather had about 12 shops in Birmingham one of which was on Sutton Parade, other shops in Small Heath, Hay Mills, Stechford, Sparkhill, Two in Shirley, Olton, Sheldon, Jamaica Row, Digbeth. The...
  8. H

2166 Coventry Road Sheldon

Dear Sir My family owned the business operating from 2168 Coventry Road Sheldon, H G Turner Ltd Corn and Seed Merchants. The Mr Adams you are enquiring about owned F J Saunders Jewellers he was known to me as Bob Adams and retired to a farm near Knowle he now runs a classic car business trading...
Back