• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Brummie Rose

1. B

Albert Frederick Russell - Worcester Yeomanry, Kings Heath

Hi, I am posting this photo of my dad (the short guy) and his friend. As I understand it they both joined up together in the Worcester Yeomanry at Kings Heath in 1938 and in February 1940 they found themselves sent to France as part of the British Expeditionary Force serving in 210 Battery...
  2. B

OUGHTON PLACE , Aston , Birmingham

Hiya, yes I still monitor this thread and would welcome seeing any photos of Oughton Place. My family lived there before and after ww11 and their family names were Gulliver, Russell and Major.
  3. B

Amanda, if you can zoom in on the picture I think you will see in the background the piles of earth which is where the bomb fell in my aunts garden so the house in the background could be either 1 back of 10, OR 2 back of 17. Unfortunately, I am not sure when she moved to 1 /10. She was...
  4. B

Amanda, I looked through my photos again today and found this one which you might find interesting as it shows the front of the houses in Oughton Place and would have been taken from the path which went between the rows of houses. Again, this photo is of my uncle and cousins and was taken on...
  5. B

Frederick Russell - 7th Bat. Royal Warwickshires

Recently I have discovered what I thought was my grandfathers service record. His name was Frederick Russell of 2 back of 17 Oughton Place, Aston and he enlisted in Feb. 1916 and was sent to Chisledon for training. I was very pleased to find his service records on Ancestry until I starting...
  6. B

Amanda, I think this was the back of the properties. Of course, when I knew them in the 1950s they looked rather different having been repaired. I'm glad you like them. Please feel free to add them to your collection.
  7. B

Also, found this one of my aunt and uncle and cousins which probably shows the properties of Oughton Place better. I have just noticed that the photo of my Great Aunt shows her standing next to what looks like an Anderson Shelter!
  8. B

Here goes.. . This is my great aunt, Emma Russell in Oughton Place abt. 1945-6. The houses can be seen in the background. and this is my mum and dad and cousins . . .
  9. B

My family were the Russell family. My Grandfather lived there in 1920 and my father was born there in 1921. I believe my grandfather probably lived there in 1916 but that is another storey which I won't bother you with at the moment!! A real mystery to me. I used to visit in the 1950s and...
  10. B

looking for pub name

I know this thread is very old now, but my relatives ran The Grapes, 81, Aston St., in 1911. My great uncle, who was the licensee was Albert Russell.
  11. B

Hiya, Amanda, I remember Oughton Place well as I used to visit my relatives who used to live at 2 back of 17 Oughton Place and I do have some photos which were taken in the mid 1940's with some of the properties in the background. This area was heavily bombed and there is quite a lot of...
Back