• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Recent content by Aldea

1. A

Burbury Street

How interesting. Around 1901, Samuel Gray moved into 187 Burbury Street until around 1914 and he was a boot repairer/maker from Norwich. My Great Grandmother married him in 1910 and I notice from the trade directories that he ran the business from there. I imagine that after he left, the next...
  2. A

Sturdy Eliza of Phillips Street?

Indeed that is her - I've traced her through to her death in 1930 so hoped that someone might actually remember her. It's funny how at of all the names you come across during the research, one person becomes such a focus of interest. There is no one in the family now who would have known her...
  3. A

Sturdy Eliza of Phillips Street?

I was just wondering whether anyone ever knew of Eliza Sturdy nee Hayden? She lived at 73 Phillips Street in Aston from at least 1901 to around 1930. Her husband died in 1906 and she carried on in the family home. My grandfather remembered her as 'Old Eliza' and as she lived at the same place...
  4. A

Deykin Avenue

I grew up on Deykin Ave in late 60s, early 70s and remember going into that sweet shop for a quarter of something yummy when Mum and I would go to Witton Island to do the shopping. I went back last week to take a photo of my house and the school, it certainly brought back memories.
  5. A

Gray family in Aston

Indeed it is - This is why it is such a mystery as everyone thought that was the right date. I did do a search through GRO but will now contact the local office. Thank you for that information
  6. A

Gray family in Aston

More info His wedding certificate stated that his father's name was Samuel and that he was a roof repairer and that he was also deceased. My father is a bit hazy on brothers and sisters but did remember that there was an Uncle Sammy who died in WW2. I get the feeling there was a split with...
  7. A

Gray family in Aston

It's amazing what this type of research throws up. I am unable to even begin my Grandfather, Harold Gray's family tree as we cannot find any trace of his birth! Everyone believed that he was born in 1905 in Aston - the family were shoemakers/repairers. He died back in 1984 and following...
Back